Guest viewing is limited

THR Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!

@Hipster Girl and @Constanze -Thanks for checking in! I have been doing too much I think because I have pain in my thigh so I am taking it easy for a few days. Snow is coming soon so I want to be able to try skiing....without falling! Have a good day!
 
I went skiing! Snow conditions are very poor but I managed 3 kms and only fell on my face once! lol It was like I had never been on skis in my life at first but it soon was feeling comfortable. Thought I had better not do too much especially in the crusty snow. After three cold cold winters with lots of snow we are having a heat wave. Skiing is easier on the joints than walking so I am disappointed. It will come I am sure. Merry Christmas to all!
 
Wow, that is wonderful that you were able to go skiing @Granny Di! Falling or not, at least you did it, and that is a huge milestone - congratulations!
:loveshwr:
 
Thanks for the cheer @Hipster Girl ! I wish we would get snow as walking on the icy crusted trails is hard. Skiing is easier ....except for the downhills. I'll be puffing on the uphills!
 
:wow: @Grannydi!
I'm in awe of you! Not only are you now skiing, but you're doing it after hip replacement and at 69!!!!
I thought I was doing good bowling twice a week and golfing once a week. But you are one impressive lady!!!
 
That makes me feel great @Nana757 but I only went 3 kms and fell on my face -didn't want to hurt the hip - on a little downhill as I couldn't snowplow in the crusty snow and I didn't want to go fast. That was in the first 500 m.
Our snow has melted and I sure hope we get some for Christmas as relatives are coming from Australia to experience winter! I know now that I CAN ski and it will just take some practice to get comfortable on my skis again. Skiing is easier on the joints than walking -its bending down to take the skis off that is hard. haha
You are doing well with bowling and golfing. Keep it up. Have a happy holiday!
Diane
 
I am so impressed!! LOL I just had my knew replaced so I will be happy to just walk. I only got to enjoy my new hip for a few months. Now I am right back in rehab mode.

Snow? Nope you can have all of it. Last winter we were getting snowfalls that measured in feet not inches! Our weather has been unseaonally warm but I am loving it. I fear the snowy and icy weather for fear of slipping.
 
Awww @webbie73 -I feel for you! So much to go through and adjust to! Do you have any idea why you have had all these joint problems? I could go back and reread your thread but I have had a beer and won't remember what I have read anyway. :heehee:
My left hip is not hurting and I have been hiking. Yesterday I hiked up our little ski hill wishing there was snow. here is proof I got to the top 8 months post hip op.
[Bonesmart.org] Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!

It was worth it to see the cloud formations -just beautiful.
 
Awesome view from the top!

The OS said my problems with joints has to be in my genes. Foot, shoulder, 2 hips, 1 knee so far has to be genes.
 
@webbie73 I figure that what is in the genes needs a trigger to activate in a negative way and I think lots of the time it is stress. There does not seem to be any arthritis in my family history so I wonder why I have it.
Our bodies are so interesting! I sure wish they would find a cure for it.
Hugs!
Diane
 
What a beautiful view @Granny Di and that is great you were able to hike up there - you are doing fabulously! I hope you get some snow for when your visitors come; it sure would be lovely to have it in time for Christmas and maybe you could go skiing again! We need a snow ski emoticon on this forum :yes: :snork:
 
Yes @Hipster Girl we do need a ski emoticon. :snow plough:We don't have much snow as El Nino is striking our area with warm temps and rain but we did have enough to ski for the last few days and I skied 5 kms on the trails today. It was so great to be out after missing a whole year. I still have muscle pain above my knee so I am not totally healed yet.
It will come!
 
Happy New Year and a healthy, pain free 2016 for you all! Yes @sunbunny I have been cross country skiing although we have had an unusual start to winter with no snow until a few days ago. I did manage 5 kms one day and it felt so good to be out. Then we had freezing rain, and high winds that ruined the trails and yesterday while walking our puppy, who is now at least 60 pounds, she ran into my leg and I am hurting today. :sad:
My son's family has a family of 7 visiting from Sydney OZ so we have been introducing a Canadian winter to them and they seem to love it. We really need more snow for ideal ski conditions and I prefer ideal with this new hip.
I am going to Peru in January to visit my daughter and grandkids so I am looking forward to that. This time I won't need a wheel chair to get through the airports. :egypdance:
All the best to you in 2016!
Diane
 
Thank you @Granny Di . The same to you! Enjoy your skiing and your trip to Peru to see your daughter. Sounds great. We're going to New Zealand in January - it's summer there now, so we'll get some summer sun.
All the best - Constanze
 
@Granny Di
Well look at you! I've been lazing around in bed and getting caught up on some of my favorite hippies. I'm just laying here in awe while reading about you going out and skiing! Darn girl, you are something else!!! I'm so happy to hear you are doing well..God Bless my friend! :-)
 
Thanks for the praise @Cynthia777 but I have had a setback. While walking our 7 month old puppy who weighs 60 pounds, she ran full speed into me and hurt my op side thigh which has somehow caused pain in my back too so I have spent the day icing and heating instead of skiing. I hate it. I can't decide if I should see the chiro, the physio or the masseuse. lol Will give it a day or two and if it doesn't improve I will get some help. Meanwhile I will catch up on hippie posts. Happy New Year!
 
@Granny Di oh my, here I was imagining you flying through the snow but not by a dog encounter. I vote for a massage. Hope this resolves and you can continue your adventure. Have a most wonderful Happy New Year! I know we have come a long way especially when you compare where we were this time last year. Hugs, Barb
 
@sunbunny -haha it always helps to look back and realize how much better we are than January 2015. I was on crutches! I decided to don the skis and skied 5 kms yesterday and today with a tylenol cocktail to dull the pain. It felt good but I am going for physio next week- I need some needling in my back to get rid of this spasm.
Hugs to you too!
Diane
 
Dry needling, in case you don't know, is like acupuncture but with an added input of electricity. My excellent physiotherapist did a quick assessment and determined that my aches were all muscular and not in the joints. She found three tight spots -it always amazes me how they can put their finger right on the spasms - and she needled my groin, my glutes and my back. I will try skiing tomorrow and see if my aches and pains are lessened. We are so fortunate to have these medical specialists to help us.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom