Guest viewing is limited

TKR Two years out from October 2023 TKR

Merry Christmas and enjoy your trip. Not flying is a good thing. You'd be spending more time in line than it takes to get to LA. driving, I much better option to take! It sounds like you are well prepared.
 
10 week, 2 days po.
Just returned from a 7 day cruise. We had a great time. Lots of walking. I did stretches twice and rode the recumbent bike twice. Unfortunately, about half way through the cruise I had increased stiffness and pain. I needed to take pain meds a few times. I decided to skip the last two ports and stay on the ship. We went in the hot tubs and I swam a bit. This morning I asked for wheelchair assistance getting off the ship because I had increased pain and stiffness and we had a long way to walk to get off. I started back with gentle stretches once I got home and did several revolutions on my bike, just to try to loosen my knee up a bit. I have been icing and resting all day. All in all, it was a fun trip but I am paying for it now. It was good to get home to my ice machine. I iced on the ship every day with ice in a ziplock bag, but I love my ice machine!
As far as progress, I still feel stiff and sore and my pain is still pretty bad. I don’t feel I’ve made any progress in the last week. Yes, I was able to go on a cruise, but I wasn’t really very comfortable. I just pushed through it.
I keep waiting for that magic day when my stiffness and pain go away and I can bend my knee past 100°.
 
I am glad you enjoyed your cruise even if it wasn't all you had hoped for. I still end up stiff if I walk a lot. Not as much pain though. I am waiting for the day I can get back on the bike. Recovery from my most recent surgery is going well but it's only day 12. No bike until at least 3 weeks if not longer.
 
Thankfully you were able to get away and enjoy the cruise. Hopefully some sweet memories were made as you spent time with loved ones navigating various ports of call. Now that you're back in the comfort of your own home, with some rest, I'll bet you'll be feeling better soon. Wishing you a Happy New Year!
@Dmcfad2
 
@CatieViv @Layla I rode my bike 10 minutes this morning and did my gentle stretches. A lot of the stiffness and pain I was feeling has subsided a little. I rested and iced a lot yesterday and got a good nights sleep. Thank you. Catie, I didn’t know you had another surgery. Good luck with your recovery!
 
Thanks. Recovery is going well so far. I went to church this morning and stopped at the small grocery store in my village. Am exhausted. It's my biggest outing yet. Lucy isn't complaining either! Just a little stiff.
 
I have been losing weight since surgery. Last week on my 7 day cruise I lost 3 more pounds in one week. That is a total of 14 pounds since surgery. I don’t feel like I am 100% healthy, but I attribute it to this recovery. I have been having stomach issues and digestion problems. My husband is wanting me to call the doctor about it. Has anyone else lost weight like this after surgery?
 
I lost weight for a while after surgery a couple of times due to little, or no, appetite. But, not 2 1/2 months later, unless I was trying. My suggestion is to err on the side of caution and check with your doctor; it doesn't hurt to have things checked to be safe and certain.
 
I had no appetite for a long while after surgery. I attribute it to all the drugs I was taking. My appetite is now back to normal, and I imagine I’ve gained back anything I might have lost.
 
@Dmcfad2 at this post on Dec 31 you should be back from your cruise. How did it go? We’re taking a 5 day next week and I’m working in my head how to handle it at 11 weeks post TKR

You mentioned you took a course of prednisone. Do you think it benefited you? I’ve been begging my doctor for prednisone to see if it helps the swelling so I can gain greater ROM.

So far, he refuses. But I don’t give up so easily
 
I also loss weight after my surgery. Unfortunately, I gained it all back. :tantrum2:
 
Many of us lose a few pounds early on as our inflammation goes down and our bodies get rid of the excess fluid. Add to that the fact that some of the meds cause nausea and loss of appetite.

Since you are still having digestive tract problems, it would be a good to check in with your primary care physician. Good nutrition is important to recovery and he/she might be able to suggest something that will help with those stomach issues.

Wishing you continued recovery in the new year.
 
@RockyBones Hi. I did okay on my cruise. The first 3 days were good. The first two days were sea days. The third day I spent in Cabo walking around and then did a sunset sail. The next morning I was quite stiff and sore, so we stayed on the ship in the next two ports. I had been there many times before. It was just easier to stay on the ship. I had already planned to do that if I needed to. We stayed by the adult pool. I swam and used the hot tubs. The last two days we hit rough seas, so I felt a little unstable and started using my cane. We went to all the shows and listened to the bands and comedians. I did fine. Just a little sore. I think you will be good.
The prednisone did not help me. I did a nine day course.
 
Glad it was okay for you. We are caregivers for my mother in law and hubby really wants the get away even if we just stay on board, which it looks like we’re going to do. Our first cruise with a balcony. We’ll be fine


Canceling the shore excursions for when I’m better. Jacuzzi…. Here I come.

Tks for the info about the predni
 
@sistersinhim i never thought about all night icing not so much for pain but I’m trying to get this swelling to go away

I do have my ice machine. Might as well put it to full use instead of a couple times a day
 
I think you will find that it helps. A swollen knee can be uncomfortable and stiff. Getting that inflammation down will help with that and help your ROM, too.
 
@RockyBones pretty sure predisolone is the cause of the extensive AVN in both hips, i take it for my breathing and am now waiting for a thr
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom