Guest viewing is limited

TKR Two years out from October 2023 TKR

Ups and downs are very normal. That's one of the reasons I never let anyone measure my ROM. Between the differences in day to day swelling levels, and different techs putting the goniometer in slightly different places, the measurements will come out differently every time. I measured it in how much I could do at any given time vs the past; that to me was a much better way to judge my progress.
 
Bear in mind that goniometer measurements can be off by 5 degrees either way. Best to pay attention to functional flexion milestones such as how easy it is to sit in chair, etc. I think you’ll get there with persistence. Even though the number may not always change, the frequent gentle stretching and moving of tissues is helping to train them to “remember” their new lengthened position.
 
You're NOT going backwards. You are having a normal recovery -- which looks something like this:

rollercoasterexample-gif.74641
Thank you! Deb. I get so discouraged when I can’t bend like I want to. On the way home, I cried and felt sorry for myself, then I got a new sense of determination. It’s such a long process, and I am tired of it, frankly.
 
Bear in mind that goniometer measurements can be off by 5 degrees either way. Best to pay attention to functional flexion milestones such as how easy it is to sit in chair, etc. I think you’ll get there with persistence. Even though the number may not always change, the frequent gentle stretching and moving of tissues is helping to train them to “remember” their new lengthened position.
You are right, I know. My PT says not to worry, I’ll get there eventually. I feel like I really need a mental boost now, though. I‘m feeling like all my work is not helping me get better ROM. If I saw some progress in that area, I would feel much better about doing the work. I’ll feel better later. I always do. I know I get too hung up on the numbers.
 
I think nothing wrong with tracking numbers…just one of many reasonably objective ways to measure progress, and can give a pick me up sometimes too. I still have days where I have a little cry because I’m so sick of the pain and every little move requiring so much conscious effort. It is mentally exhausting. And if I hear “don’t stress, be patient” it just makes it worse…as if on top of everything, now I’m not doing rehab the emotionally correct way!
So I hope I didn’t come across as minimizing! I get it. This journey is hard.
 
My mental boost often comes from trying something new for first time, eg swimming, a new treat from the bakery, etc. Anything to make life feel a little more normal.
 
It’s such a long process, and I am tired of it, frankly.
Yes, it is one of the longest recoveries of all joint surgeries. Just when you start to feel better and do something the knee doesn't like, it throws a fit. I named my The Brat, cause it truly was a brat!
I‘m feeling like all my work is not helping me get better ROM.
Actually, that is a very true statement. You can't work your way to a better bend, but you can slow it down by doing too much too soon thus increasing the pain and swelling. Working doesn't get a good bend, time does.
 
It’s such a long process, and I am tired of it, frankly.
Yes, it is one of the longest recoveries of all joint surgeries. Just when you start to feel better and do something the knee doesn't like, it throws a fit. I named my The Brat, cause it truly was a brat!
I‘m feeling like all my work is not helping me get better ROM.
Actually, that is a very true statement. You can't work your way to a better bend, but you can slow it down by doing too much too soon thus increasing the pain and swelling. Working doesn't get a good bend, time does.
I think you are right, but I get so much conflicting information. My surgeon says I have to work hard, but I am working hard and it obviously isn’t helping. I know my PT sends a report to him every 30 days, which means he’ll be getting one in 4 days. I don’t think he is going to be happy with my ROM. It seems to mean a lot to him. So, what should I be doing? I shouldn’t give up my stretching, should I? Maybe just be gentler with myself? I seem to be able to walk okay and have taken 1 mile walks most days. I have skipped it the last 3 days because I have been doing a lot of ADL’s.
I need a name for my knee. :giggle:
 
Oh no, keep on stretching and walking. My OS said that walking was one of the best ways to rehab my knee. Of course, each knee is different and you have to find what works for you.

My surgeon says I have to work hard, but I am working hard and it obviously isn’t helping.
Some OSs say to work hard and some say to be gentle. Who knows which one is correct? I think the answer is what is correct for you. My OS knew I didn't take PT and was always pleased during my appointments. My ADL worked for me! We are all different.
 
@Dmcfad2 I think you’re going great!!
We’re on the same timeline and I can relate to everything you’ve said today.
I was on such a high this afternoon after finally getting to over 90 degrees but boy did I feel it in the evening…. My leg got stiffer and stiffer and now it’s 4.20am and I’m wide awake….. again!!!
I’m fully expecting that today I’ll need to have a rest day as I have a full weekend of visiting friends and family delivering presents and then I’ll be spending the evenings icing and elevating……… again!!!
When I think we’re now at 8 weeks out and I look back at my posts I can see how far I’ve come and I’m sure you can too.
Your cruise will do you the world of good I’m sure….. keep positive and please be kind to yourself.
Happy 2 month anniversary “Twinnie” :cheers:
 
This recovery malarkey really is full of ups and downs…..
I ended yesterday on such a high with great ROM results at physio and yet today my knee feels swollen and stiff , despite copious amounts of icing, quads ache despite massaging and heat and I’m so tired….. I’ve literally done nothing today other than a few light exercises and general house stuff.
My scar is “jumpy” today too……
I’m not getting stressed because I know that this is all part of the recovery process but boy does it get you down when it happens….. :sad:
Anyhoo…… I just need to put my big girl pants on and get on with it…. I’m determined to try driving next week, so I can be a little more independent, I’m also going to attempt a nice bubble bath again…… I will get through this and I will be better for having the op…… in time :)
 
So your left knee is Lucy and your right with be Ethel?
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Debbie!
I hope this week is starting out on a good note for you.
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and many blessings in the New Year!
@Dmcfad2
 
@Layla Thank you and Merry Christmas

9 week update:
Knee stiffness and pain is easing a little in the last three days. Yesterday my bend came a little easier. I rode my spin bike with seat as high as it would go and easily went both backwards and forwards with minimal pain. Also did some stretching exercises and it didn’t hurt as much as it has in the past. I have PT this morning, so I am interested to see if I’m getting better flexion. I am walking a bit better most of the time, but still am quite slow, which is to be expected. I was having some increased calf pain a couple of weeks ago, so I am having an ultra sound tomorrow to rule out a blood clot. But, the pain has gotten much better in the last week, so I think I’m probably fine. My doctor still wants me to have it.
We leave Saturday for a week long cruise to Mexico with my son and DIL. No flying, so it shouldn't be too bad. Just an hour and a half drive to LA. I’m bringing some prescription pain meds with me just in case. I’m packed and ready to go. I will be away from Outpatient PT, but I’m bringing my yoga strap to do stretches and I will go to the gym to ride the bike a few times. It will be interesting to see how I progress next week with less structured PT. Merry Christmas!

Edit for my own records. 100° at PT today. I was able to move the seat forward on the bike one notch and still make forward and backward rotations with minimal pain.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom