Guest viewing is limited

TKR Two years out from October 2023 TKR

never thought about all night icing not so much for pain but I’m trying to get this swelling to go away
I rested my knee on my Aircast Cryocuff cool sleeve to sleep for months after my surgery. If I woke in the night I refreshed the ice cold water. I found it really helped with warmth/ tightness and swelling.
 
I was on predni for about six years for what I was told was RA. This turned out to be an mis diagnosis.

I just know that it did help my inflammation and thought might help in this case. But I don’t think so
 
11 weeks post op today:
After being very stiff and sore from my cruise, I woke up yesterday feeling a bit better. My stiffness was less and I didn’t have as much pain when I bent my knee. I went to PT and was able to get to 102° flexion. I was also able to move the recumbent bike seat one click forward and do rotations pretty easily. All the exercises felt easier. Then, after I got home, the stiffness came back and I iced and elevated. This morning I am back to my regular stiffness.
Because I am getting an ultrasound to rule out a blood clot (which I am pretty sure I don’t have, since I already take Elequis), my primary doc told me to let my surgeon know and he wanted me to tell him about the calf pain and stiffness I have had. So, I messaged my surgeon and told him and he was not too concerned about the pain and said I should really see improvement in that area over the next month. However, he was concerned about my bend and has requested to see me this morning to evaluate me and discuss MUA. Yuck. I originally had my follow up on 2/3/24, so he moved it up. He doesn’t know yet that I gained some ROM yesterday. I am thinking I will refuse it. I saw a glimmer yesterday that I can get there on my own. I will say I am sick of this pain and not being able to bend makes it hard to do things. I walk slowly, walking is still a little painful at times, I still have to go up stairs putting both feet on the step before moving on, need to rest frequently. But, I have also made small improvements week to week. If the MUA would help me get there faster, I would do it, but there are no guarantees. I’ll see what he says. It’s still early days.
 
He doesn’t know yet that I gained some ROM yesterday. I am thinking I will refuse it. I saw a glimmer yesterday that I can get there on my own.
As long as you are improving your bend, you don't need a MUA. That would just set your recovery back. You can certainly do it on your own and with a whole lot less pain and swelling!

It sounds like your cruise didn't hurt your recovery at all. That is great news!
 
It sounds like you are doing great. I still get stiffness when I walk more than a few minutes. The pain has decreased but I still get stiff.
 
Selfishly, I’m relieved to read your post today.
We’re on the same timeline and seem to be having the same progress.
My consultant said that he was happy with my last measurement of 105 flexion , and that he wouldn’t consider MUA unless I clearly couldn’t sit with a bent leg or walk unaided etc…..
Maybe we’re both hoping for too much too soon ..??
As my consultant said…. Time will now heal… Good luck x
 
Selfishly, I’m relieved to read your post today.
We’re on the same timeline and seem to be having the same progress.
My consultant said that he was happy with my last measurement of 105 flexion , and that he wouldn’t consider MUA unless I clearly couldn’t sit with a bent leg or walk unaided etc…..
Maybe we’re both hoping for too much too soon ..??
As my consultant said…. Time will now heal… Good luck x
@Loulou67 I always look for your posts because we seem to be having a similar experience. I hope he sees me and gives me encouragement to do it on my own. I am in his waiting room right now. I am curious if you still have pain as well as stiffness? I have lots of pain below my kneecap that doesn’t seem to be improving, yet. I think it is the main reason I don’t get a better bend.
@sistersinhim thank you for your encouragement.
 
I hope your appointment went well?
I do still get pain, sometimes it feels as though my knee is bruised, if that makes sense?
Today my knee feels particularly stiff and I have more issues with my upper thigh being painful still, which seems to aggravate bending my leg.
I struggle to get up from my sofa easily too….. I feel very frustrated at times, but hey….. let’s see what this week brings!
 
My post op appointment went well. I sat in a chair and scooted my butt forward to the edge and bent my leg back under the chair as far as I could to show him my bend. He said my flexion looks good and he thinks it is more than 102°, maybe closer to 110°. He asked how my PT was measuring. She always measures me lying down with my knee bent as I bring my foot as close to my butt as I can. He discussed the MUA. He thinks it would help with my flexion, but is leaving it up to me. I told him I felt I was finally making some progress in the last two days and I wanted to see what I can do on my own over the next week. He doesn’t do MUA after 3 months, so he asked me to let him know my decision by next Wednesday, 1/10, so he can get me scheduled. I am going to see how I do and make a final decision. I am undecided at this point. He can’t quarantee better bend with or without the MUA, of course. But, he thinks MUA would help me.
As a side note, I was able to lower my spin bike seat one level yesterday after my appointment and do 10 minutes of forward revolutions. So, I am improving little by little.
 
Yes, you are improving little by little! Great news!
At not even three months post op, just think what a few more months will bring. I hope your visit gave you more confidence in your recovery. Slowly but surely you're getting there. :thumb:
Happy Friday, have a wonderful weekend!
@Dmcfad2
 
That’s a good update to read…. I hope you make the right decision for you!!! Happy healing :cheers:
 
That's a great update. I get better bend sitting than I do laying down. As long as I can eventually pedal a bike, that's all I care about!
 
Well, I have been debating with myself for 3 days, worrying and not sleeping, trying to make a decision and I have finally decided to go ahead with the MUA. After doing slightly better a couple of days ago, I once again lost the flexion I had gained and also have increased stiffness and pain. I couldn’t even do one rotation on my bike this morning and can only get to 95° flexion. Bottom line, I have hovered around 95-100° flexion for about 5 weeks now. I am just so tired of worrying about it. I am going to let my surgeon know tomorrow and just pray that it helps me. I don’t want to wait and then discover that I will have a permanent stiff and painful knee because I couldn’t get there on my own. At least this way I have a chance of improving my ROM and helping my pain.
 
Last edited:
I hope it goes well. At least you will know you are doing all you can! I will also pray for a successful outcome for you.
 
Another update from a totally wishy-washy me! I changed my mind and am not doing the MUA. I got 4 more degrees of flexion today to 104-105°, my best yet. I also moved the bike seat forward another notch. I had a good day. My therapist thinks I can get better flexion on my own. So, I messaged my surgeon and told him I wasn’t going to do it. I am relieved to have made the final decision. Now, I need to keep stretching. I’m hoping I have made the right decision. Functionally, I am pretty good with where I am right now.
 
Great news! You’re making progress and with patience and more time, I bet you’ll be golden! Hang in there and have a wonderful week!
@Dmcfad2
 
Hey we’re behind you whatever you decide to do, and wishing you success! Sounds like you have made some progres.
 
I’m glad you’ve come to a decision on your own.
I have physio tomorrow… last time I went, which was before Christmas, I was at 105 flexion,, let’s see where I’m at now……. Fingers crossed I’ve not gone backwards !!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom