Guest viewing is limited

TKR Two years out from October 2023 TKR

You’re welcome!
Have a great rest of the week!
 
Just an update for my journal and for anyone who may be following my journey.

I will be three months PO on the 19th. I still have so much stiffness across the front of my knee and still have a lot of pain when bending. I keep waiting for it to get better, but every day is the same. Yesterday I did a spin class. I went slow, with no resistance and stopped after 30 minutes. My knee was so sore and stiff all day afterwards. All I did yesterday afterwards was rest, ice, elevate, use my tens unit, and rub voltaren gel on it. It feels a bit better this morning, but is still so stiff, just like it is every day. I admit I’m getting discouraged and wondering if the stiffness and pain will ever go away. I feel like I’m having too much pain at this point and can‘t help but feel something is wrong. I know I’m only 1/4 through this recovery, so maybe I just need more patience. But, people I know who have had TKR say they felt much better by now. Anyway, I’m just venting here. I am so worried I’m going to end up with a permanent stiff knee. I declined the MUA, but I am now second guessing myself. Maybe the pain is from the scar tissue that could have been remedied by doing it. I will never know now. I even think I could deal with the stiffness if I wasn’t having the pain, too. Sigh.
 
I wonder if a spin class was a bit too ambitious for three months. I have never done one- but they look pretty tough.
I didn't do any group classes until about 6 months. I think the risk with group classes is that even if you try to go slow there is a subconscious pressure to keep up- and you cab overdo things.
 
I still have a stiff knee, especially when I stand too long or do too much. But it has only been 3 months and I know things will get better. Hang in there. I think you made the right decision about the MUA.
 
I will agree that 30 minutes sounds really ambitious. Did you build up to that amount of time, or just attend the class and it's 30 minutes so you're there for the duration?

Consider tamping it w-a-y down with the exercising, starting slow and gradually building only as your body allows. Pain is a signal you've gone too far.

Don't forget that you're not being idle. You are engaging in the normal activity of daily living so you are active in a sense and I'm assuming that includes things like trips to the grocery store and all that involves, driving, engaging in household chores, any socializing away from home....anything other than the normal ADL's like grooming, ambulating, toileting, dressing, eating.

I fear you'd be sorry with the result of MUA as most often it initially sets members back, something you'd likely find extremely difficult to deal with, but that decision is yours and yours alone. I do hope you feel better soon.
@Dmcfad2
 
Hi there! :wave:
I hope you're doing well as we slide into the weekend!
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Have an amazing weekend!
@Dmcfad2
 
14 weeks PO update:
Making some progress. It’s very slow. Still very tight and stiff in the knee. I have moments where it gets better, then it returns. When it is very tight, there is also pain when I bend the knee. The pain will subside as I bend and straighten my leg, but the stiffness remains. I usually still ice and elevate in the evening.
I have been doing stairs the last few days. I can go up and down, foot over foot, holding on to the rail, but haven’t done it without the rail yet. It makes me stiffer when I’m done, but I can tell my quads are getting stronger. I have less throbbing and aching at the end of the day.
I am slowly getting back to my normal activities. I get very tired still, and need to rest. I am still very aware I have a fake knee. Sometimes, it feels like a big wad of cement in there.
All in all, I am feeling hopeful that things will continue to improve. I think my flexion is just a bit better. I haven’t been to PT this week, as we are at our home in Arizona. I go back on Monday and she will measure me then. I have been less focused on the numbers and just want to be able to do the things I need or want to do without pain and that is slowly happening.
 
I have been less focused on the numbers and just want to be able to do the things I need or want to do without pain and that is slowly happening.
Yes! That's the right attitude: the numbers aren't important, it's the function that counts!

I know 14 weeks seems like a long time, but remember that this is a year-long recovery, so you are less than 1/3 of the way through.

Keep exercising that patience muscle a little longer.
 
Congrats on the stairs, I am looking forward to being able to do that! Hope things start looking up soon, more energy, less sore.
 
Thanks for the update. I'm glad you're less focused on the numbers and seem to be more relaxed and confident that you'll continue to make progress. Enjoy your time in Arizona and the break from PT. Great news on the stairs. I hope you have a nice weekend!
@Dmcfad2
 
I actually danced the Electric Slide yesterday, very trepidatiously. :egypdance:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Two years out from October 2023 TKR
    IMG_2253.png
    791.4 KB · Views: 84
That used to be so much fun. I loved it! Good for you getting back to it. Oh, I long for those good old days. You are my age, yet doing things I haven't done in years. I'm envious but so happy for you!
 
Great update :yes!:
My good news today is that my walking steadiness on my iPhone health app has now moved to “ normal” :happydance:
Hi @Loulou67
I didn’t realise the iPhone health app had a facility to measure your walking steadiness… that’s really interesting. I’m going to have a look at that, could be really useful.
I can see that we both had our TKR’s just a few days apart from each other.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom