Guest viewing is limited

TKR Two years out from October 2023 TKR

I'm sorry that it's been a disappointing outcome for you.

A fresh, non orthopedic brain/eyes might be helpful to do a thorough diagnostic workup of soft tissue issues and develop a treatment plan.

You could consider a referral to a physician whose focus is non surgical soft tissue issues - like a physiatrist (physical medicine specialist) or a sports medicine doctor.
A doctorate prepared PT would be another option.
 
I'm sorry that it's been a disappointing outcome for you.

A fresh, non orthopedic brain/eyes might be helpful to do a thorough diagnostic workup of soft tissue issues and develop a treatment plan.

You could consider a referral to a physician whose focus is non surgical soft tissue issues - like a physiatrist (physical medicine specialist) or a sports medicine doctor.
A doctorate prepared PT would be another option.
Thank you. I will take these recommendations in to consideration. What is a doctorate prepared PT? I did physical therapy 2x a week for almost 11 months after surgery, but my progress was pretty much at a standstill, so I finally decided to quit going. I feel like my problems are more related to diminished quad strength and limited range of motion than to soft tissue issues, but I really don’t know. Maybe it’s both.
 
Hi Debbie,
It's nice to hear from you. I understand this has been a challenging recovery for you. It's frustrating when you expect to be feeling better than you are feeling. I know you realize this process can be long. It's been over a year for you and even if it doesn't feel like it, you've made a lot of progress and that doesn't mean things can't improve further. Possibly working on building better strength in your legs and core will help in navigating stairs and getting up off the floor. It's understandable that you're unhappy with weight gain, but the small amount you gained should be easy enough to lose once you put your mind to it. You're stronger than you think and there's still time and room for improvement. It's not too late to work toward feeling even better.
Cheers to more progress in 2025! :new-year-toast-smiley-emoticon: Stay in touch!
@Dmcfad2
 
@Dmcfad2
Most current PTs in the USA have Masters degrees - there are still older ones who were grandfathered in without that.
There are now universities granting Doctorate degrees in PT and these graduates are often better educated in assessments and current treatments.
 
Have look at my excellent pilates teacher's leg strengthening classes.
Google Katja pilates and lots come up free on YouTube. They are very varied and there should be something that will help.
I do wonder if spin classes might be a bit much? Particularly if you are with much younger people and trying to keep up?
I am quite competitive and I found when I tried to rejoin group yoga classes that I was pushing my knee into positions it didn't like and it tended to rebel later.
Sorry you are disappointed with your surgery.
As @mendogal says, it sometimes needs detective work to figure out particular issues that are holding us back. For me it was an overstretched MCL from years of lateral collapse pulling in the other side.
That needed work on my medial quads.
My pilates teacher was very interested in anatomy and we worked together to try to understand my problems.
 
Hi @Dmcfad2 --thanks for sharing your update. My surgery was a month after yours and I have some of the same issues you do. I think I'm on my way back to some PT. I still have some pain and stiffness and for me it's always hard to decide how and what kinds of exercise are too much and what are not enough! Sometimes I think I underestimate the amount my fitness has decreased in the last year or so. I do appreciate seeing the reassurance you have received from people telling you that improvements can come in the second and third years--love to hear that. Anyway, it was good to see an update from you and hope to again. I guess we will keep plugging away!
 
do appreciate seeing the reassurance you have received from people telling you that improvements can come in the second and third years--love to hear that.
I think it is important not to give up and to persevere with a sensible exercise strategy into the second and third year. Better that than exercising to pain and beyond early on- then giving up.
My legs are now stronger than they ever were- apart from in my youth.
 
Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate all of the suggestions, too. I don’t plan on giving up. I just keep plugging away. I didn’t do much structured exercise over the holidays, but did do lots of walking. Many of my classes were canceled. Tomorrow I am back in spin. I am looking forward to it.
 
Hey Debbie @Dmcfad2
I had my TKR around the same time as you, so it’s good to read your progress.
I wish that I could kneel on my operated knee, but alas my right knee is now on the waiting list to be replaced so kneeling is painful for me, on both knees!!
I think my progress has been okayish….. I can do stairs fine now, both up and down and I walk pretty well.
I too have gained a little weight, which is frustrating as I needed to lose weight before the op!! Menopause has a been a factor in this but that’s another story…..
I have had no PT since the early post op appointments and wonder if maybe I should have?? My biggest issue is tightness at the back of my knee….. I damaged my ligaments prior to my knee surgery so not sure if this is the issue?
Anyhoo….. I feel like we’re doing okay , despite being past the one year mark, and I wish you continued healing and good health x
 
@Loulou67 Thank you! Good luck with your other knee! I remember that we were pretty much on the same timeline. Interestingly enough, in the last two weeks I have seen a sudden marked improvement in my functionality. I was able to stand up in the saddle in my spin class with no effort and the stairs have become much easier. I can go up and down without using the handrails. This all seems to have happened overnight. I am almost 15 months post op. So, I guess we do continue to improve after the 1 year mark. I am feeling pretty happy. Still, I never want to do this again. LOL
 
in the last two weeks I have seen a sudden marked improvement in my functionality
I am almost 15 months post op. So, I guess we do continue to improve after the 1 year mark.
Yes! Many do notice progress into their second and even third years post op. Great news that you're doing so well.
Happy 2025!
 
@Dmcfad2 That is a wonderful report and those of use who are in your time frame surgery-wise are very happy to read it! Thanks for sharing that.
 
Admin: Please change my title to “2 years out from TKR”. Thanks.

It will be two years on the 19th since having my LTKR. I am still having pain, soreness and stiffness. My knee just throbs and aches at night when I’m sleeping and sometimes I feel like it is even worse than it was a year ago. I do some kind of workout every day for an hour. I either walk two miles, do weights at the gym and I do spin classes twice a week. I have tried backing off exercising to see if that helps the pain, but it is still the same. Honestly, I am disappointed with the outcome I have had. I have very limited range of motion still.
I think about going back to my surgeon for an evaluation, but hesitate to do so. At my last checkup a year ago, he seemed miffed when I told him I was still stiff and sore, like he was taking it personally. Anyway, I can do everything I want to do, but I wish it didn’t hurt every day.
I keep plugging along. I seem to live on Motrin lately. Maybe I’ll go back and have things checked out or maybe I will continue to just live with it. I just expected a better outcome.
I know my experience is not the norm. I don’t want to discourage anyone from having a TKR, but do want to make people aware that the outcome can be less than perfect. I hope everyone has a great day.
 
I do spin classes twice a week
I do wonder if you are aggravating soft tissue issues with very vigorous classes?
I can do pretty much anything I like ( walk a few miles in one go/ climb hills/ look after a lively child). I have a regular pilates practice but whenever I have tried group yoga or pilates classes I have ended up a bit sore. I am quite competitive and I think I overtwist my rather lax ligaments trying to keep up with others.
Having said that I think it would be good to get a second opinion if you are really stiff and sore every day.
 
I suggest you read this hip update and consider being kinder to your body.
 
Hey @Dmcfad2 ….. to think 2 years ago we both shared our knee journeys on here!!! I’m back , after having my right knee replaced 4 weeks ago!!
My left knee is doing well… I still have a numb patch on the outside but other than that it’s good…. I’m really sorry that yours isn’t quite what you expected :groan:
I do think that recovery takes well over a year , although I’m doing much better, so far, with my right knee, but I think pre op exercises helped and also having a stronger “other” knee helps also.
I hope that as time goes on your knee gets stronger and less painful….. take care x
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom