TKR Two new knees....yes, please

I hope it works for you. Do let me know.

Well, tomorrow will be 7 weeks past LTKR. I'm only taking 1 Tramadol with 2 Tylenol pills in the morning and mid-afternoon, plus 1 Hydrocodone before going to bed. Guess I get to stay on that in this week before my next surgery, March 28, RTKR. They take me off of so many of my other meds and vitamins that I'm thankful I get to still take some pain meds in this 8th week post LTKR.

My PT ended 4 weeks post LTKR, and I've been doing my post-op exercises for that knee as well as my pre-op exercises for my right knee. In addition to that, I rode 20 minutes on the recumbent bike, and then took a walk around a neighborhood pond this morning. Maybe a mile. Felt like it was just a bit much, and will go back to walking around the neighborhood the rest of this week. Still icing and elevating some during my awake hours, and occasionally wake up middle of night and go our to living room recliner to ice...then head back to bed.

Needless to say, I am NOT looking forward to going through this surgery in one more week. While I feel that I am doing well and healing nicely, it is NOT FUN. I am concerned about those first few weeks after the new right knee replacement when my PT will only be working on my right knee. Will my left knee do OK if I don't work on it hardly at all in weeks 9-11 while my right knee is getting all the attention? Since many of you hardly do any exercises other than daily living activities, I presume the answer is to not worry about the first knee....it will heal on it's own. But if any of you have had knee replacements close together, what advice can you give me about working on BOTH knees?

Your left knee will do just fine. It probably doesn't need PT exercises any more now anyway, as it will be getting plenty of everyday exercise. You won't lose any ROM it has gained.

Do remember that it's not exercising that gets you your ROM, it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.

@Red's Mom had her TKRs staged and did very little if any formal PT for either of them. I'm sure she'll pop in and give advice.

Your first TKR will take the load since the other will be newly injured, but try to ice both knees when you're elevating. As Celle said, you don't need to worry about PT, your "old" TKR will get a workout with daily activities.

Thank you, @KarriB and @Celle. I will not worry about my 8 week old new knee as I focus on healing the new right knee. I only have one ice machine, which I'll use for the newly operated knee....but I will ice the other one using gel packs. I'm nervous, but if this surgery goes as well as the last, I know all will be well. By summer, I ought to be out and about enjoying two good knees. Really looking forward to that!

Most people who have one knee done shortly after the other do extremely well. The first few weeks are hard, of course, but after that both knees recover together. It's as if you have one, extended recovery, instead of two separate recoveries.

@crstysue Your baby knee will enjoy the time off it gets while the infant knee is brand new. You won't lose anything in the strength, flexibility or extension categories, in fact you may gain! You'll be surprised how that 8 week old will carry you into the two new knees phase. I would suggest NOT doing any planned or formal exercises with the baby knee. That leg is going to get enough of a workout being the "big girl" in the early days. Continue your gentle stretches and heel slides that will be plenty!

I think you'll be fine with the ice machine for the new knee and gel for the older one. I also would suggest having an extra water bottle frozen to place behind the older knee with the gel on top of the knee.

The only thing that I was surprised by was the profound energy drain I experienced. Two major surgeries in two months is huge. Also, promise me not to compare your knees :what: that is a futile and frustrating problem that has no solution. Re read the info on BoneSmart especially about pain management in the early days post op.

You've got this! :yahoo: Three months from now knee pain will be history!

Thank you, @Red's Mom. I appreciate your suggestions. I really hadn't thought about the energy drain of two major surgeries. That may be the biggest thing. I'm so glad I have just retired, so I will have plenty of time to recover as I need to.

:yes!: Yeah! Congratulations on your retirement :flwrysmile:

When your beat up and exhausted just keep your eye on the prize: 2 pain free knees accomplished in 6 months or thereabouts! Hopefully years of pain free living :yahoo:

@crstysue Do you have that feeing of dread and excitement like you're getting ready to go down the highest hill on a roller coaster? Kinda can't wait but scared, too! I told @gerilari that I have put myself on the mailing list for two 5ks this coming winter and that is one of my goals to be able to participate. Good luck on Tuesday!

Well, TechGranny, here we go. Tomorrow is our day. Yes, I'm anxious and just ready to have this done with. I know what to expect now, and I know I survived and thrived. So I know that I will again, and you will, too. Wish we could share our experiences in person, but I will have you in my thoughts and prayers. You will need to start a recovery thread. Mine will stay the same..."Two new knees...yes, please." Let me know how you do. Try to get some sleep. I have to be up by 4:30 a.m. to shower and out the door at 5:30. If I can't sleep well tonight, I will just sleep during surgery! Here's to our new and improved knees!!!!

I'll be thinking and praying for you, @crstysue . You all who do the staged TKRs are my heros!

That means so much, @KarriB! I'd like to think that this one will be easier, but my left knee is still healing. I might not feel the same strength I felt last time. But I believe that prayer makes all the difference. My surgery is at 8:00 a.m. CDT. Last time I developed an allergic reaction from the adhesive. My OS is going to try a different covering, so hopefully I won't be dealing with open blisters around the incision. That would be a blessing. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement you have provided me in this journey. Actually, "Thanks" is not big enough for how I feel toward you and others on these Bone Smart forums. Until tomorrow.....

Thank you for your kind words. I do love what we do here on BS. Prayer is what got me through my TKR and subsequent infection which was a very rocky road. I was not in control, but knew He was. Praying this is an easier recovery, especially with your incision and you don't have any huge personal issues to work through as you did a few months ago.

You have quite a memory, KarriB. Yes, a tragic death in the family at the same time as my surgery 8 weeks ago was quite a traumatic experience. Thank you for remembering and for caring.

Surgery at 8:00. Moved up to my hospital room around 10:00. Was bone on bone all around the right knee. So I'm glad I went ahead with the surgery.

I'm doing great. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. I am eating lunch now. No pain… If only that would last beyond the hospital.

Everyone is so nice here. I feel very blessed.

Apparently I have to go to the bathroom by 1:30. Last thing I feel like doing, but I'll try.

That's it for now. More later.

Welcome to recovery for the second time!
I'm glad everything went well.

Here is the recovery reading again, as a reminder:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Yay! Good to hear all went well. I'm always amazed that anyone can post intelligently the day of surgery as I was pretty out of it for the first 24 hours. Praying there are no issues with the dressing/bandages.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back