TKR Two new knees....yes, please

Congratulations! You now have two new shiney knees. You know what to do. Keep us updated when you can.
 
Well, I am having some bleeding this time which I didn't have last time. It looked like quite a lot, but they didn't seem concerned. Haven't even changed the dressing yet; I think they are keeping me up in the chair for awhile to see if there will be additional leaking. Don't want to change the dressing too many times.

Also, I feel a bit more pain. Last time, they had me on Morpheme. OS doesn't want to use it this time, and has me on Fentanyl. Bringing me another pill as the pain is hovering at 5.
 
I hope you soon find the medication timing and combination that decreases your pain. Keep asking for pain relief when you need it, and try to have it on a regular schedule.
 
I can do heel flexes, but I'm having difficulty wiggling my toes. Is that normal for 8 hours post surgery?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had GA ao I'm not sure, but it may be due to your spinal not wearing off. Let's ask @Josephine to be sure.
 
Spinals and femoral blocks can take around 24hrs to wear off so it.s nothing to worry about.
 
Great. I have walked to and from the bathroom a couple of times (with help) and can't even feel that foot. All my weight is in the walker and my left knee (which is 8 weeks old and now my "good" knee). I never had the bleeding or the extended numbness on the last TKR, so it's just a bit disconcerting.
 
Happy you are on the other side and starting your journey. It's been three weeks today since my bilateral tkr and it just gets better every day! Think good thoughts!
 
@gerilari, glad to hear you are doing well and so positive after your BTKR. Makes me very hopeful. I appreciated your warm well-wishes for me this go-around!
 
RTKR was Tuesday, and it is now Friday evening. I think I'm doing pretty good, and at least this time don't have the allergic reaction to the adhesive over my incision. They used Sheri- strips and some other strip to cover. However, with the bleedingekae I had on the first and second days, I am wearing a wound vac to suck up any excess blood. No big deal, and haven't even seen any blood go up the tube....so obviously, it must have stopped bleeding. I go in on Tuesday to have it all removed.

I seem to be managing my pain pretty well, and sleep well in my living room recliner. Hubby sleeps out here, too, and then helps me rise from my chair to go to the bathroom, fills the ice machine with new frozen water bottles topped with ice, re-wraps the tubing and pad from my ice machine, and resets the wedge pillow under my legs so they lay at a nice straight position, elevated to reduce the swelling, and with the ice temp on the 1 setting since I use I throughout the night. We also set our Echo Dot by saying, "Alexa, set a timer for 4 hours". When it goes off, I take my meds and reset the timer for another 4 hours. It all works like clockwork, no pun intended. I think in another few nights hubby can go back to sleeping in our bedroom. I think I can manage on my own once I don't require the walker. The most difficulty I have is filling the ice cooler and getting it back over to my chair when I have to hold onto a walker. We'll see how long it takes, but thankful hubby is willing to help me with this task.
 
Good to hear you're doing well and the adhesive isn't causing any issues. I've been away for a few days at Disney World but kept an eye on you. The first week or so is hard as you know and having someone help with the ice machine is nice,as it can be difficult to manage. How's the first knee doing?
 
@KarriB, I'm hardly giving a thought to the first knee replacement (left knee). Wow, amazing. All my thinking is now on my new baby knee of 4 days, my right knee. But it is actually less painful than I remember the left knee being, so that is a win. Because my right foot and ankle area are pretty swollen, not to mention the knee, I'm definitely being lazy and sitting in my recliner happily resting, icing, and elevating. Have actually felt better appetite than even a day ago, which my nurse insisted on as she said I need the food nourishment to help with the healing process. Hard to just "will" an appetite and make yourself eat, but I'm doing better with that.

I was worried that because I knew my right knee was a bit better than the left, my OS might say that the knee could have waited awhile to be replaced. Instead, he said it was actually just as bad or worse than the one I replaced first. No telling why it felt better, because he said I was bone on bone the entire way around. One difference may be that he had to remove a lot of bone spurs in the back of the first knee, but didn't mention spurs on this one....but I forgot to ask. Anyway, thankful now that the knees can heal together...in the long run, I think I will be very thankful that I did them one right after another.
 
That's good to hear! Eating was an issue for me, but I was so intent on healing after the infection surgery that when my OS said "high protein diet" I took it to heart, eggs and sausage for breakfast, meatloaf brought to me from home as well as spaghetti with more meat than pasta. I don't know if it did and good but I felt it was something I could do to help heal. I did force myself though, so I know what you mean.
 
Congratulations on the grace of your early recovery days. Your hubby is a keeper! Continue to rest, elevate and ice. Your doing great!
 
It was a couple of weeks before my appetite came back. I made sure I always had a poached egg on toast for breakfast, but for the rest of the day all I could manage was soup and toast. My knees still healed beautifully.
 
I couldn't get photos posted to the scar photos page (extra for one that showed my allergic reaction on my left knee). Kept saying my pics were to large. Do I need to do this from my computer and not my iPad?
 
Did you try the upload a file box in the bottom right hand corner of the reply box?
 
Yes....not sure why it worked for one photo on the scars site, bit I can't get any to upload at all now.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom