TKR Two new knees....yes, please

@crstysue it sounds like your first 48 has gone well! :flwrysmile: Welcome to the other side! Stay ahead of the pain. Be prepared for good days and bad ones. Keep coming back here for support and understanding. One day you'll love your new knee!
 
@crstysue I had my surgery just past noon on a Thursday and got to my room by 6 pm. I had been up walking in the night and early morn and by time doctor came had walked at least twice the 4 corridors of the floor. I left the hospital on Friday and was home by 4 pm. Hospital isn't quite an hour away from home. The pain nerve block was still working, so I really felt good. Plus a big factor was a big snow storm predicted for Saturday and there was no way I WA ted stuck on the highway with a baby knee! I was ready for rest and all the comforts of home. The hospital pharmy had all the meds ready to take home so that worked well too. About day 3 was the tough one when different kinds of pains started, like the area where the tourniquet was. I hadn't thought of that. I did a lot of massage on that area in my thigh.
Each of us tolerate meds different and I was happy my son was able to be with me a few days until I could get my 'new' schedule figured out for pills and the ice machine hookup and 'un' hook to get to the bathroom and back.
Continued good luck with your new baby knee. I'm one of thowe who is reasy for my second, just 18 days.
 
I had written a long post about a tragic family situation that occurred at the time of my heading home. I wrote it because I needed the support of those who could empathize and sympathize with the emotional and physical pain I was experiencing. I don't see my post anywhere, and wondered why no one had responded. Was my post excluded from public viewing with my thread?
 
I had written a long post about a tragic family situation that occurred at the time of my heading home. I wrote it because I needed the support of those who could empathize and sympathize with the emotional and physical pain I was experiencing. I don't see my post anywhere, and wondered why no one had responded. Was my post excluded from public viewing with my thread?

I'm sorry that your having to deal with a family tragedy and your new knee. I did not see that post.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@crstysue
I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

I read all the new posts in the Knee Replacement Recovery Area every day and I did not see any post like that.

If anyone needs support, we don't delete their posts.

If it had appeared on your thread and been deleted, it would still show as a post that had been deleted.

I wonder where you posted it?

PS: I have just looked up all your posts since your surgery date (January 31st) and there is no record of a post like the one you were talking about.
 
Please let us know how your doing. You and I are similar with back to back replacements. I hope your doing OK.
 
I'm sorry about the loss of your post, but it wasn't removed by staff. It's possible that you neglected to actually post it once it was written. That has happened to me .... in fact I did it tonight! Other than doing the searches the staff has done above, there is no way to determine what may have happened. Please try to reconstruct it if you still would like the post to be out there for members to comment on. You have some great followers here who I'm sure are willing to talk with you about anything that is concerning you.
 
I've typed out posts before only to find I never hit post reply or there was a wifi glitch. Please let us know what happened and how you're doing.
 
Oh my, it was so good to see comments to my last post. I was doing so well until the day I came home from the hospital. Was in Oxycodone (3 pills every 4 hours)....it really put me into Zombie mode, and my wonderful husband woke me up in the afternoon to tell me that my sister's 26 year old son had committed suicide (they live an hour away). Enough said to let you know that we were all beyond devastated, and here I was just trying to "get my healing on" while dealing with an unspeakable inner brokenness.

To complicate matters (while at the same time being a blessing), my two daughters, son-in-law, and 3 lively grandkids (ages 7, 4, and 9 months) plus a grand-pup (Chihuahua) would be arriving from CO over the next couple of days. Imagine the quiet healing sanctuary you'd prepared being turned a bit topsy turvy during your most painful post-knee replacement days. Well, you get the picture. To conclude this emotional part of my post I will just say that I made it to an outdoor family remembrance that occurred 6 days after my surgery, and it was a special time for all of the family to weep together and celebrate this young man's life. I was in so much pain by the time I made it home that in spite of having reduced my Oxycodone down to one pill, I took additional pills and slept well, finally getting up at 11:00 a.m. The next morning.

Now, back to my post-surgery difficulties. I had a wonderful waterproof adhesive strip that my OS placed over my nice straight clean incision. During my last in-hospital group PT, my pant leg over the incision got suddenly wet. When they looked, they saw that I had blisters that had ruptured under the strip extending out beyond. They put some additional pieces of anticeptic gauze over hose and we continued with class.

When I went to my first out-patient PT, my PT person said that I need to go to see the surgeon's nurse and have them look at this. With this being a Friday and how you often can't reach the doctor on the weekend, he didn't want to proceed until they'd taken a look.

So I went in and they'd never seen anything like this. They removed the entire adhesive strip, of course pulling up skin and opening blisters developing he entire area around he incision. Can we saw major sting and burn...try walking with He regular surgical pain and add to that open blisters and inflamed skin. I will try to post what I took in the hospital, and what it now looked like. The nurse put on anticeptic strips, a silky material on top of that, anticeptic gauze, and held it in place with a stretchy net. Came back again to have it changed on Monday, and she said she wanted the OS to see this and to make an appointment to see him Wednesday morning. In the meantime, no PT and the OS had been sent the pics and was doing a lot of research and contacting of the company who made this adhesive strip (which he had used successfully with other patients over the past four months). Were there any other cases where a patient had reacted so severely? Apparently, in the world, only 3 others besides myself. Everyone was coming in to observe what they had never seen happen.

Today, it was finally looking better, and they will continue what they are doing and I can begin out-patient PT on Friday. I've come though a really difficult time, and looks like the incision has stayed intact with no infection going below the surface skin area.

This has been long, but I needed to share so that I can begin the healing of my emotions and my body. Thanks for your concern and support.
 
Your post is here.

Let me first offer my condolences on the death of your nephew. I will keep him and your entire family in my prayers.

As far as the dressing you could be allergic to the bandage itself. I have seen that happen to many patients with a variety of different dressings. Keep it clean and dry. There is also something called fracture blisters that can occur.
 
I am so sorry to hear of the death of your nephew. That must have been devastating news. I'm glad you were able to go to the funeral, even though it took a huge toll on you.
How is your sister coping?

Make sure that your family visitors understand that you need peace and rest, so you can recuperate. Don't feel that you have to entertain them or cater for them. Your job is to look after yourself and your knee.
I had my son, his wife and two small daughters come to live with us two weeks after my last TKR. I spent almost all my time in the sanctuary of my bedroom, while my husband and daughter-in-law ran the household. My little granddaughters (aged 4.5 and 2.5) came to me to have me read stories, but they had both been warned to be very careful of "Nanna's sore knee" and they were surprisingly solicitous of it. They reminded each other not to go near my legs, but to stay near the top of the bed.

I'm sorry you've had the added worry of the blisters and apparent reaction to your dressing. As newlybionic suggests, it is also possible that they are fracture blisters. These sometimes happen when your skin has been very swollen. We have had a couple of people here who suffered from them after their knee replacements. The important thing is to keep them clean and dry, and they should heal up quite quickly.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope things soon start to feel a little better for you all.
 
I'm so sorry to hear of such a tragedy to your family. I'm happy you were able to attend the memorial service.

It sounds like they have a handle on your incision problems, that must've been very scary. I am concerned that you've reduced your pain meds so early. Are you taking one pill a day or one pill a dose?
 
@crstysue. I'm so sorry for your loss. You have my sympathy. Keeping your whole family in my prayers.
Glad to know they are getting your blister situation under control. Sending you our love in your time of need. Hugs.
 
Welcome to the club! Stay in the hospital as long as you can! The pain hits the night of day two. Let the nurses wait on you while you can. Being home is hard!
 
Hey Topeka! Sorry I haven't been too active with the blog since getting home. I am 10 days out now. I spend 90 % of my time in bed. In fact writing this is the first time I've gotten myself out of the bedroom for any extended period of time. Even though I pretty much knew what to expect the second time around, I didn't plan on battling RA flare ups. So every movement is an ordeal. The largest nuisance being my left shoulder. I had two PT sessions so far which mainly consisted of gentle massages and tomorrow she will remove the bandage . The bruising is starting to pop out now. I do a lot of elevating, icing, meds and massaging.

I am not too good about these threads. I think I called mine "Here I Go Again". I don't know how to find things quickly in the domain. It's like I have a mind block. I hope you find yourself feeling better every day. A large part of the journey is fighting back the depression that comes along with rehabilitation. That's were it is of great benefit to talk to those who are walking the same walk. Unless you've have a replacement it's hard to understand it.

Talk soon ....
 
P.S. I just read your blog about losing your nephew and the infection of your incision. I am very sorry. I walked a good friend through that dark abyss several years back. We really aren't in control of the circumstances life throws at us. We just plug along and do the best we can. I will keep these difficulties in my prayers.
 
@crstysue ....I am so sorry to hear of your family's loss. You are amazing to have made it to the memorial service and I'm sure your presence was much appreciated. This type of reaction does happen now and then and I hope by now things are improving with your knee.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom