TKR Two new knees....yes, please

Welcome, and you have my deepest sympathy. Some how when we think were at the end of our ropes were able to go even a bit further. You definitely didn't need anything else but to have a simple recovery. Hopefully now things will begin to settle down. This surgery effects more than just the knee, it effects our appetites and sleep patterns and moods. Please with having this additional trauma you may find yourself down in the dumps and blue. Please feel welcome at those times to reach out to us on here for support and comfort.
 
Ah, at last....a quiet house and time to check in with my BoneSmart buddies. Thank you to all for your sweet words of condolence regarding the loss of my nephew. We willl get through this all as a close-knit family and come out stronger for it.

The last of family left yesterday, so you can imagine the quiet when those sweet kids - 9 mo., 4, and 7 - headed back to CO. I'll miss them, but am looking forward to days (and nights) of sweet silence. I have done well staying on top of the pain. Someone was concerned that I had reduced down to only one pain pill daily. No, I take 2 Oxycodone at night (every 4 hours) to aid in sleeping at night, and then take just one Oxycodone every 3 hours during the day....and sleeping or not, my Echo Dot timer goes off on time and either I (or sweet hubby) help me take my meds. Also taking all my vitamins plus one pill of Meloxicam to help with inflammation. It's all working well for me.

After having my OS cancel two PT appointments while my skin was healing from the severe allergic reaction to the adhesive strip, I started back into out-patient PT yesterday. My therapist said he was expecting a "train wreck" after my missing sessions and going through all I had with the family death and post-surgery incision difficulties. Instead, I walked in to therapy unaided by walker and crutch, and he and his assistant put me through the courses and were amazed at what I was able to do. So was I! I don't know what my ROM was, but he seemed happy. With some passive assistance, I had a 4 on leg extension. Want to be better on every front, but am following the bone smart suggestions and letting my body (not other voices) lead the way. They commented on how little my knee had swelled. I didn't say anything to them, but I rest, elevate, ice (all the time), and take my meds by the clock....I know it has helped me immensely!

I am 6 1/2 weeks from getting the other knee replaced. Yes, it's been very tough from about day 4-10, but I believe I can do this. Still exercising my good knee in preparation....those exercises have made a huge difference!
 
So happy you are doing so well. The stretches and exercises will really help with #2. It really takes a lot of discipline to stay quiet and elevate and ice. Keep up the good work
 
Although I loved visits from friends I was always ready for quiet time, especially in the first month. Listening to your body and staying away from what hurts is hard work, but as you can see, totally worth it! Enjoy your quiet house on this Saturday night!
 
I'm happy to hear that your PTs were pleased with your progress. Your knee has probably appreciated all the rest, ice and elevation you've been giving it - after all, it's wounded, not lazy. Just a little, gentle exercise is all it needs.

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM, it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen so it can show itself.
 
@Celle, KarriB, Josephine.

I will think I have this writing on the forum pretty much down, and then I'll find some comment I made about icing machine in the midst of other's comments about something unrelated. Not sure what I'm doing, or if others were writing comments in before I got mine completed. Anyway, if you can advise me on what it means to follow someone, how to find a previous conversation I was interested in, etc., I'd sure appreciate it.

I even think someone wrote me about a good medication plan. Can't find that anywhere. I am 2 days short of being 2 weeks out from LTKR. I'm still taking Oxycodone (5mg) one pill every 3 hours during my waking hours, and 2 pills every 4 hours during my sleeping hours. Should I be getting off of the Oxychodine by now? Also take one Meloxicam pill at breakfast and one before bed to help with inflammation. Other than that, just my typical prescription meds for thyroid and cholesterol, regular sleep aids with Tylenol, and vitamins.

I was prescribed Hydrocodone at the hospital when the IV was removed and I quit getting Morpheme. At the end of the day I told them I didn't notice any pain relief from the Hydrocodone, so they changed it to Oxychodine. I have only five pills left, which will get me through today, with only one pill for nighttime. I don't want to call and ask to get a third prescription for the Oxychodine if I should certainly be reducing it by now. Thoughts and advice?
 
We encourage members to read and post on other threads, but to keep important information and questions about your recovery on your thread. I know which chart your talking about and am looking for it.

I also took oxycodone and didn't begin to cut back until I began forgetting a dose here and there. Around week 3-4 I began forgetting my afternoon dose and just picked up my evening dose. I also began cutting my pills in half because I didn't need as much and that worked for me. Here's an article from the library about weaning off meds.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/weaning-off-prescription-pain-medication.19226/
 
Thanks for that link. Also made me feel like I will know when I don't seem to need the Oxy any longer. Right now, I'm happy that I am managing the pain pretty well. It's not in the forefront of my thinking. It's Sunday, so am a bit concerned that I can't get a refill. I'll try calling and see if it's possible. Thanks again.
 
You can also ask for Tramadol which is a step down med and works well when teamed with Tylenol. That's the chart I'm looking for.
 
So here's the traumdol chart
[Bonesmart.org] Two new knees....yes, please
 
Give the oncall OS a call. Don't worry about call the doctor because there's always someone designated to be on-call. It's too early to cut back on pain meds. While you would need a paper script from a doctor for Oxycodone, tramadol is a medication that can be called into a pharmacy.
 
I'm waiting for a call back. I have a prescription for tramadol (50 mg) which I got back in June and never used (following stem cell procedure that required me to be off of anti-inflammatory meds). Side effects scared me off. But I still have the pills. And I have 6 1/2 tablets (7.5-325) left of Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen. Someone is calling back a suggestion of what to use until I get a new prescription called in/taken in for the Oxycodone. I imagine they will suggest my taking the Hydrocodone (one every 6 hours) maybe at 1:00 pm and again at 7:00 pm, and then take my two Oxycodone tablets at 1:00 am and 5:00 am. Guess we'll see. I've just been doing well, and hate to not stay on top of the pain.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Ask them how to spread out the Oxy and start the tramadol. It will be better to do that then take nothing at all cold turkey.
 
I will think I have this writing on the forum pretty much down, and then I'll find some comment I made about icing machine in the midst of others' comments about something unrelated. Not sure what I'm doing, or if others were writing comments in before I got mine completed. Anyway, if you can advise me on what it means to follow someone, how to find a previous conversation I was interested in, etc., I'd sure appreciate it.
We have a section here on BoneSmart that has lots of articles about how to do things.
How To Use This Forum

Have a look at some of the articles, particularly these:
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you
How to use the quote feature
Watching threads


I'm glad the others have helped you with your other questions.
 
Don't stop your meds too quickly. You will still have up and down days. Last week I found I only needed 2 oxy in a day and the last few days I have needed 4 - for no obvious reason. I am also on slow release tapentadol and Lyrica. MY GP told me also not to rush getting off pain killers.
 
Thanks, DebM, I do NOT plan to get off my pain meds any time soon. Just frustrated that I forgot to get a new prescription by the weekend. Have to use Hydrocodone during the day, and will save my Oxycodone for tonight. Will get my new prescription as soon as possible tomorrow. I don't wait for my pain to tell me what I need right now. I take my meds by the clock until I run out and then try to determine whether it is time to change the type of med, dosage, etc. to fit with where I am in the healing process. With two replacements back to back, my body will be on pain meds for some time. I don't have an addictive nature, so I'm not concerned about that.

It is kind of strange, I hear about these other meds that others are on (like your tapendadol and lyrica), and I wonder why no other meds were discussed with me. I have never heard of those medications and have no idea what they do. Glad to hear things are going well with you and that you are taking just what you need to heal well.
 
@crstysue the tapentadol is a fairly new slow release pain killer. It is taken 12 hourly. The Lyrica I was started on for nerve pain. My doctor is going to start reducing the tapentadol next week. I take oxycodone as needed, usually for breakthrough pain before the end of my 12 hours or before my hydro/pt or a 'big outing' to the doctors.
I too don't have an addictive personality so I am not worried. Drs here are seem more relaxed about you taking pain meds for longer if you need them.
 
It's been awhile since I have written. Not sure why, because I've been enjoying and benefitting from reading others' posts. I am 3 1/2 weeks post LTKR done on Jan. 31, and will be having a RTKR in 4 1/2 weeks (March 28). Yikes! Not sure if I should be writing about my progress on the left knee or my jitters on getting the right done in a month. But I'll just post for now on how I'm doing on my baby knee.

After having that awful reaction to the adhesive strip placed over my incision, getting it removed, and dealing with painful open sores, my physical therapist thought I would be a "Train wreck" after missing 2 sessions and not doing any exercises at home for that week. Instead, I am doing very very well. I was off the crutches, walker, cane before 2 weeks, and walking with a decent gait. At 2 1/2 weeks I sat at the recumbent bike at PT thinking I would just rock back and forth a couple of times, when I suddenly made the effort to push it on around. Wow...it worked. They had me seated far enough back that it was easier to extend the leg and not quite so flexed, which would have caused more pain. I rode for 3 1/2 minutes with some discomfort, but not pain. I could stop at any time. Since that time, I have ridden for 4 minutes (stopped when I reached a pain level), and now usually will ride for 5 minutes....long as I am sitting far enough away, it works.

Two sessions ago, my PT took me out behind to the back of the building where there were 5 steps with a railing going up from the parking lot to a level entrance area. It was a beautiful 70 degree day in Kansas (unbelievably nice for February). She wanted me to go down the steps. I said "You mean, step down a step and bring the other foot down to that step?" She said, "No....one foot per step." Having not attempted that, I really didn't think I could do it. Surprise...I did those 5 steps with no difficulty, going down AND up. Totally surprised and amazed myself. My legs did the work, and I really didn't have to push on the handrail to give me the strength.

I have appreciated the PT sessions, and they are challenging without being pushy. I asked them to get some numbers yesterday. They don't put too much emphasis on that, but I wanted to know. My flexion was 117, but my extension was still a four, and that was with some passive help. That concerned me a bit. Should I be concerned much about still being a four??? At 3 1/2 weeks? I spend a lot of time sitting in my recliner elevating my leg and icing. I'm using 2 pillows going left-right at the end of the recliner, and then I put a pretty solid pillow going at a right angle to that...that's what I lay my operated leg on, keeping it as straight as I can. But there is still a slight bend, and that's why I'm concerned that I'm not getting to less than a four. Any suggestions?

Meds: I had been on Oxycodone the first 3 weeks, and changed to Hydrocodone for this fourth week. I go in to see my OS's nurse for my 4 week check up this coming Wednesday (today is Saturday). It is my plan to go off of the heavy duty pain meds by that appointment and start some other regimen that will provide pain relief, but allow me to drive. Thinking of Tramdol + Tylenol, while continuing my Meloxicam for anti-inflammatory help. Will see what is recommended. I continue to have some discomfort, which I wish would all go away. But I'm improving. Just impatient, and hoping to be at a really good place with this knee before I go back into the really painful time with another new knee on March 28. I have resigned....actually, taken early retirement from my Speech Therapist position in an Elementary school...so no rush to get better so I can get back to work. But my life had been active and involved, and sitting around is sooooo against my nature. But I will do whatever it takes to get both knees working again and then will decide what my next life goals will be as I enter retirement healthy and whole.

Thanks for all the responses to my threads as well as comments you all have encouraged others with. I feel like I know many of you. Such great people. I wish I lived down the block from each of you. This is a great family of new friends. Hugs to all!
 
I woke up today wondering how you were doing! It reminded me of how I used to wake up thinking about a Student! Sitting around is hard for sure, but I know how hard it is for teachers! We are always on the go! It is the best thing you can do as you can see from your great ROM numbers! Of course you are interspersing with walks about the house, gentle PT etc.
Here's a suggestion for extention=straightness that helped me a lot. I tried to do it a few times a day just because it felt good to stretch this way. I started cut back on oxycodone around week 3-4 by forgetting a dose. It was a natural way of cutting back for me.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/extension-how-to-estimate-it-and-ways-to-improve-it.9529/
 
How sweet, Karri, to be thought of. I appreciated getting your email and suggestions for extension exercises. I'm going to start doing these and see what happens. Thanks so much.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom