TKR Two new knees....yes, please

I have appreciated the PT sessions, and they are challenging without being pushy. I asked them to get some numbers yesterday. They don't put too much emphasis on that, but I wanted to know. My flexion was 117, but my extension was still a four, and that was with some passive help. That concerned me a bit. Should I be concerned much about still being a four??? At 3 1/2 weeks? I spend a lot of time sitting in my recliner elevating my leg and icing. I'm using 2 pillows going left-right at the end of the recliner, and then I put a pretty solid pillow going at a right angle to that...that's what I lay my operated leg on, keeping it as straight as I can. But there is still a slight bend, and that's why I'm concerned that I'm not getting to less than a four. Any suggestions?
You are doing really well. Your ROM, both flexion and extension, is excellent for so early in recovery.

You don't need to be at all concerned that your extension is 4. It often takes longer to achieve full extension than to achieve good flexion. It will come, with time.
This article suggests some ways in which you can help with extension.
Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it
Just choose a couple of exercises and do them gently. Don't use weights until at least 3 months post-op.

If you lengthen your stride when you're walking, that will also help with extension.
Two sessions ago, my PT took me out behind to the back of the building where there were 5 steps with a railing going up from the parking lot to a level entrance area. It was a beautiful 70 degree day in Kansas (unbelievably nice for February). She wanted me to go down the steps. I said "You mean, step down a step and bring the other foot down to that step?" She said, "No....one foot per step." Having not attempted that, I really didn't think I could do it. Surprise...I did those 5 steps with no difficulty, going down AND up. Totally surprised and amazed myself.
Well done for achieving those steps one foot at a time.

However, it's really a little too early to be doing this on a regular basis. Most people take longer before they can do it, even as long as 3-4 months. Going up stairs foot over foot is usually easier than going down, which puts quite a strain on your new knee.

You're doing great!
 
Good suggestions, Celle. Because I "can" do some steps does not mean I will do them right now. Fortunately, I have no steps I have to take since I have zero entry into the front door and from the garage into the house. We have a finished basement, but I don't go down there at this time. Mostly for overnight family. It's just good to know that my ROM is there inside me, waiting to be revealed. So thankful!
 
Sounds like you're doing pretty well to me. I took several Percocet the first week after surgery but decided to try to stick to Tramadol and Tylenol after that. So needless to say I do feel discomfort in both knees.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@crstysue it sounds like you are having a great recovery! You will be so happy when both knees are done and the arthritis pain is gone! Enjoy this in between time, I hope your able to do some of the things you enjoy before the next knee. Doing both knees is a big undertaking but totally worth it. Take good care of yourself!
 
So good to hear from you, @Red's Mom. You have done what I am about to do...2 knee replacements close together. I have been hoping that my left knee is so much better by 8 weeks that I won't even be focused on that knee when the other one is done. I'm nervous, but know it's the best thing to do to get me in a healthy place. Had my 4 week post surgery appointment yesterday. It was a great appointment and I even got to see my surgeon as the nurse wanted to have him pop in to look at the area around my incision that had been infected due to the adhesive. It's healing up well. Obviously, we can't do the same covering for the incision. I think they will do the same internal stitches and "glue", but use stery strips to put along the incision. I don't want to have staples unless that is the only option. We'll see.

Anyway, what was the hardest thing to deal with having both knees done closely together? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 
I also had an allergic reaction to the bandage for my first surgery, blisters all around. I had no problem with the steri strips they put on after my staples were removed. For my second knee they just used a loose bandage held in place with an ace bandage, so no problem there, but after my staple removal, I had developed an allergy to the adhesive on the steri strips and got large blisters, worse than the ones I had from the bandage the first time around. I hope you don't have a problem with the steri strips, but I just wanted to share my experience so you can be ware.
 
@crstysue There is a bonus for knee 1. It will get the benefit of the rest and ice and elevation while knee two is new. Ice and elevate both! I think what was/is most difficult is lack of patience. I wanted my R knee to be a fast healer like my L was. I would say mental preparation to be "off" for 16 weeks after the second surgery. Then also don't compare your knees to each other or to anyone else, it's your recovery just focus on that. Now for the great part, you and I will be back to almost normal at the six month point. Others who's surgeries are spread out by months or years are stuck in recovery twice. We just have one l.o.n.g. recovery! I would also recommend that as soon as your up you focus on proper ambulation. You've got to get rid of the old habits. Also time to get new shoes. Get your mind and your hubby and kids all set for another long period of recovery. My hubby created a tearful day for me when he got frustrated with me on day 17 of knee two. It is a turtles pace for sure but the end result is a pain free life. With the right mindset and the BoneSmart mantras your going to be fine!
 
@CJM, I was on Oxycodone the first 3 weeks, and then Hydrocodone the 4th week, now on Tramadol and Tylenol during the day, but take Hydrocodone at night. So far so good, and pain is managed well.
 
New shoes??? All of them? I wear a lot of boots and other shoes....Tennis shoes only rarely. Not sure I could afford all new shoes and boots.
 
Replace your shoes gradually. Wait until after your second TKR, though.
Start with the shoes you wear most often

The tread patterns you have worn on the old shoes will be wrong for your new knees and may cause pain. Your gait will have altered.
 
Now that you're retired you won't need as many shoes/boots, hard to think about that though. But find a good pair of sneakers or comfort shoes to wear after your next TKR. I've been tossing my old shoes a little at a time. The shoes I didn't wear as much have been ok.
 
Another one of the things "they" don't tell us. Yep, new shoes if there are wear patterns on the old one...... I am a Birkenstock and Finn Comfort girl so it will be a slow and costly process. My new riding boots were sticker shock! My old shoes that are honestly worn do make my knees hurt! Always something new.......
 
I wonder if some could just be re heeled?
I think that would depend on three things: 1) The extent of wear of the tread pattern 2) The skill of the person who is re-heeling the shoe. 3) Whether any tread pattern has worn on the rest of the shoe.
 
I am almost 6 weeks post left knee replacement and feeling good about my recovery. And this is good since my mind is now trying to prepare for right knee replacement in two weeks (March 28). Do I need to start another thread about this surgery, or just keep my comments on this thread? Thought about changing my thread name to "Two new knees....Yes, Please!" If any of you know the proper procedure, please let me know.

Also, I have been wanting to print off my threads to have a written record of my experiences and the great advice I've received. Is there any way to do that other than copy and paste onto a Word document? That would take a long time.
 
You can continue to use this thread for the other knee. We can change your title whenever you want. I'm not sure how you'd print out, but I'll see if I can find out.
 
Do I need to start another thread about this surgery, or just keep my comments on this thread?
Yes, you can stick with this thread.
Thought about changing my thread name to "Two new knees....Yes, Please!"
This is done. But members cannot do this - strictly a staff only task!
Is there any way to do that other than copy and paste onto a Word document?
Fraid not. But once you get organised it soon flies by. I've done it heaps of times for various things. You won't want to copy every post, anyway.
 
If you have access to a tablet I wonder if you could take screen shots of a page then print that out?
 
@crstysue - I managed to print one thread (using my laptop) by pressing the keys Ctrl and P (Ctrl+P) at the same time. That brought up the Print page and I was able to print the entire thread. It was a shorter thread than yours, but it still ran to 10 pages of print, so I printed it double-sided, to save paper. I don't know if that would work for you, but it might be worth trying.
I have Windows 10, but the Ctrl+P command has worked with previous versions of Windows, too.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom