Guest viewing is limited

THR Two down, none to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
:heehee::heehee::heehee:LTHR april 27th I'm hoping this will be my one and only :heehee:
Glad we were all able to get out and enjoy a beautiful day -- clears the cobwebs out!
 
Hi Debra - hope you are doing well! Sounds like you have been out and about which is wonderful. I too had pain on my unoperated side and my os said it is because my gait is off. I start serious pt this coming week! For some reason, since the last time I was on, I have made significant progress....but, I also have been sleeping "significantly"....don't know what that is about but literally sleeping/napping 12-14 hours a day!!!! This has been going on since last Wednesday. Ironically, I've been able to do a lot more when I am awake in terms of bending etc. Tomorrow am I have a car service to take me into New York City in the am. I practiced putting on tights today....and I could actually do it. Was worried about this as I like dresses/skirts with boots until the weather gets warm and my work pant choices are limited....Will be interesting to see how exhausted I am tomorrow evening?! But, then get to work remotely for rest of week...so my nap schedule won't be interrupted :)
 
@wcgirl will have you in my thoughts on the 27th. Another gorgeous day here and the forecast is the same all week.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@mydog it's amazing how our bodies know what's best for us. Guess the wonderful sleeps you're having are just what the doctor ordered. Good idea re the car service, it will take the stress out of your commute. I'd guess that you will be pooped tonight but good you can work from home for the rest of the week! Have a great day and let me know all about it. I have physio coming in today and also a visit from a friend.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
How did your day at work go yesterday, @mydog


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My nerve pain started again today! Maybe I am doing too much? I am almost 4 weeks post op and actually feel I should be further along.... using the walker and slowly practicing walking with the cane. Can't stand for more than 10-15 minutes without getting a very stiff, sore low back. Is all this normal or should I be concerned????


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Would ice then heat help the nerve settle down?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Debra - No - at 4 weeks out I remember having niece over for some crafts and I was standing more than 20 minutes and got quite sore.....Now at a bit over 6 weeks it is not nearly as bad. I seem to have made the most improvements 5 weeks onward....and now at 7 weeks Friday, am going down stairs much more easily. Still not foot over foot, just one at a time, but I feel that will come shortly. Don't get to stressed out about the walker. I used the cane pretty quickly but I worked with the PT on that who felt I was ready. Listen to your body....I would definitely ice - I did almost continually for the first month and still do at night....only stopped really this week because I don't have any pain - just a numbness around incision.

Work went well on Monday....wasn't nearly as exhausted as I thought I would be, but still sleeping 9 hours and need a nap around lunch time!
 
Thanks, I have a feeling things are going to get much better quickly now. My physio came yesterday and I realized that I can do more than I thought I could. I have also been icing a lot, but more recently I have been icing my non operated side, as it will need to be done also. So here we go again!!! So happy your day went well and that you weren't totally exhausted. Are you are working from home the rest of the week?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Debra - yes, working from home this week and next. I really feel that the "turning" point for me, in terms of improvements and confidence really did happen at around the 6 week mark. I can now go up stairs foot over foot and should be there shortly going downstairs. Ironically...my Entire family is bugging me about physical therapy...! My doc wouldn't even give me a scrip for it until last week! I am just going to ignore everyone except the smarties here....and listen to my body. Am going to go on my bike for the first time tomorrow (indoor), so excited to see how that goes. I find when I overdo things, my non-operated side gets aggravated, even though I believe that hip is ok...never had an xray done but never had any pain either.....

My best to you!
 
@mydog - My family and friends have been bugging me about physio also and I too decided I would listen to the experts here and wait until I was a bit stronger before booking physio plus I had been given exercises to do by the hospital physios.
Hi Debra - I am like you wondering if I am doing too much or not enough but I caution myself (well I try) and let pain be my guide. I think I did too much yesterday and my darn knee was very sore in the evening.
Diane
 
I feel that my unoperated hip is what's holding me back a bit. I have started using a cane but find that the only pain I feel is in this other hip! I guess I will have to bite the bullet and book hip no 2 at my 6 week post op appointment. When I think about it, hip no 1's recovery wasn't so bad, I had no problems with infection. I was a little worried about the nerve pain I had, but seems to be gone now. Hard to think about doing it all over again, I think the worst part was the hospital stay. I now have the benefit of experience, so there would be a couple of things I would do differently. I also now know that you need to be very patient as recovery just takes time. I am 4 weeks today! Others on bonesmart have said that the most progress was made in weeks 5 and 6 so looking forward to the next couple of weeks. The weather has been beautiful also so will be out soaking up the wonderful sun. Have a beautiful day!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@GrannyDi hope your knee feels better today.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@DebraR -Hi! I am feeling a little pain in my good hip but I cannot fathom going through this again. I think you are brave to book another hip so soon. I couldn't do it.
Diane
 
I think the waiting list will be 4 months and would like to wait until October so that would be 7 months apart. Also want to be sure to have the same surgeon as she is really good, very experienced.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
October will have you ready for the Christmas holidays! I guess it will all be worth it in the long run.
 
Two months of recovery to get my life back, I'd say it will be worth it! But must admit not looking forward to doing this all over again!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @DebraR - I thought you might like to get a snapshot of where you are in the process of healing.

The following is a link to an article which provides the current science regarding the healing beneath and around the implant and the medically acknowledged approximate timeframes for our bodies healing phases and processes.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

Nutrition plays a huge part in surgical recovery, in fact it is one of the 'forgotten topics' of recovery..

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutritional-snippets-did-you-know
 
Thanks, @Poppet well I slept in our high, very soft bed last night for the first time since my March 19, 2015 surgery. It did not go well. My unoperated hip was so painful!! The groin pain, the random pains in other parts of that leg and lower back was painful as well. And I had such a great day yesterday. Maybe I will try the couch tonight. My replaced hip was not much of a problem, oh happy days, I see no way around getting the other hip done sooner rather than later.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh Debra - that is such a bummer about your non-operated hip - it sounds like that is definitely impeding "full" recovery because it needs to be replaced. But, I agree with you in trying to get it done sooner rather than later....especially helpful if you can get it done during the warm months when you can get out and about. From many of the folks that had both done...for some reason it sounds like the second is a bit of an easier recovery. Perhaps because both hips are now strong...?

I am now walking without a cane! Stepped out with the pup yesterday for a walk and realized halfway through that I forgot to bring it! Still working on walking faster and more fluidly....but that will come with time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom