Guest viewing is limited

THR Two down, none to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awh, thanks for that. I had been toying with waiting until the end of September, but you have a point about the warmer weather and getting outside. Can this 60 year old body take 2 surgeries inside 6 months? I was a real exercise but before all this happened and really enjoy exercise, also don't have any other health issues except for hypothyroidism, which I've had for 27 years.
So neat that you forgot your cane!!! Wow, you must be so happy!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I found getting back in a real bed a real problem, like you it hurt. I felt I had to tho as wife wouldnt sleep on her own and was propped on a chair and going to work. So plenty of propping up cushions in the bed and I got used to it. Re the next surgery only you can decide but a sooner rather than later return to much loved exercise sounds v enticing.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Will have to try the bed again, it was so painful that I have resorted to the couch. I used a pillow under my knees on the couch and that seemed to help quite a bit. I will talk to my surgeon about the other hip when I go for my 6 week post op appointment. It is really hampering my recovery!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Simple chap simple thoughts. Now opperated hip sorted you realise how bad other hip is as you can now feel it. I really feel for you re bed and sleep thing its soo debilitating. Keep smiling n

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Question for anyone who would like to answer - I have an elliptical machine here at home, it's gym quality, very nice. I am 5 weeks post op on the right hip but left one needs doing soon. I can't imagine getting on the elliptical yet, would it be a good idea to trade it in for a treadmill?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hey Debra - perhaps a treadmill or a bike? I prefer a bike...only because ... well, I can walk outside in nature, on hikes etc, with my pup. I also read on my Kindle and it is a bit easier with a bike...but this is all so personal, so do what you feel is best for you. In terms of your body taking 2 surgeries in 6 months....I have to say I am a big nutrition/supplement person. I do take more supplements than I have in the past - I would prefer to get them all from food - but as I have gotten older, my metabolism has slowed down. And there are so many foods that offer many benefits...but, just how many artichokes, beets, kale...blah blah blah....can you eat everyday? I wasn't allowed to take any supplements until week 6 for fear of interfering with the aspirin therapy. I have to say, the minute I went back to my regular regimen of healthy foods with supplementing....the game completely changed. It was like major healing happened immediately. So, I probably wouldn't worry about the surgeries so close....but I would do some herbal/vitamin supplementation with a great diet between. Also...add milk thistle, dandelion, and beet root supplements to your diet...they really help to clear out any toxins in your organs from all the meds....

xo glad you are doing well!

Sheila
 
Oh - Also Tumeric....you can get it in pill form...which is more than you would probably use during cooking. It is amazing. It builds up in your body over time and is an anti-inflammatory. It really helped me from taking too many meds for pain prior to surgery. Oh, and yeah...they think it "may" help you from getting cancer because of it's anti-inflammatory benefits.
 
@DebraR - I just read your question about using a treadmill and mydogs suggestion about riding a bike instead. I have a stationary bike and I have been peddling for 20 minutes a day. There is not as much weight bearing taken by the hip so it is easier than walking in my humble opinion. Once you get your butt is shape. :loll:
It might be easier on your sore hip.
I find it boring so I have to force myself to stay on but I suppose if I watched a movie or had one of those spin class programs I could last longer.
I prefer to be outside and am anxious for the snow to be gone from the trails so I can walk more.
Will spring ever come? We have a dusting of snow this morning. :yikes:
Diane
 
@mydog & @Granny Di - thanks for all the great advice! Will have to decide re bike or treadmill as the elliptical is just sitting there right now not being used. Yes, I also believe that great nutrition is important for healing, your suggestions for supplements are good ones and I will look into them. I am anxious for my 6 week appointment this Thursday as I'm not sure what to expect. I will be having an X-ray first, so that will reveal a lot, but also wondering what the doctor will expect and if she will be moving my leg in previously-restricted directions. I think that scares me the most because I had lateral surgery and my still in force restrictions are no turning in or out and no bringing out to the side. It actually terrifies me that she will probably move my leg this way! I have been so diligent in respecting these restrictions. I know that is why I had this surgery to once again be able to do these movements, but it nevertheless scares the heck out of me!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am 6 years out from my first hip and still can not tolerate the elliptical. the movement feels so unnatural to me and bothers the hip. I can use a treadmill and bike. During my many hours of PT post hip rplacement the PT had me used the bike for a warm up.

I will be using the outdoors for walking during this hip replacement since the weather should be very nice!! Yay!
 
@DebraR - I look forward to hearing what your OS says and does so please share. I wish I had asked someone what my OS does in the 6 week checkup. I don't know if I will have another X-ray, and like you I am nervous about having my leg manipulated. My appt is May 5. I am still having knee problems which makes going down stairs difficult. Oh well it is early in the recovery game- we still need more time for healing.
We had a skiff of snow this morning! Spring is never coming!
Have a good night!
 
Think I have decided to trade the elliptical in for a good stationary bike, as you said, webbie73, I can walk outside. I would like one with a comfortable seat though as I am not a biker and from reading up on the subject, recumbent bikes are not wholly recommended. I'm sure some people are fine with them (the seat would certainly be more comfortable), it seems that the seat should be quite high for us hippies. So I will look into that. I will certainly post my post op appointment experience and let you know the outcome. Crazy that you had snow this morning, it was a very nice day here in Montreal, except clouded over in the late afternoon. Have a good evening also!
 
Had a great day today! I started back on my anti-inflammatory Naproxen as my unoperated hip and lower back have been quite stiff and painful and holding me back. Woke up feeling almost normal! No pain in right hip (but haven't had pain there since the op) and even lower back felt pretty good. Now I know how I will feel after I get the left one done, and I will feel like that without the NSAID. Yippee!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
That's great news. My lower back has been complaining so I may try the naproxen too. You are healing and it will get better. :surfer::hog::driver:
 
Let me know if it helps, Granny Di. Only 2 more days till my first post op appointment! Anxious.
 
My 6 week post op appointment was today. Good news all around. All restrictions lifted. Also, I am on the waiting list for THR on the other side (left) for end of July. So about 4 1/2 months after right THR. Then I will be good to go!!!! Looking forward to this and getting my active life back. Going to start driving as soon as I get a little more strength in my right leg. Lots of lessons learned for the second go-around. So hopefully won't be so nervous. Good day today!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It is great to hear things going well! I think you are brilliant to go for your second one so positive.
Glad it was a great day for you X
 
Good news DebraR! I think you are courageous to give the go-ahead for a July op but I suppose the sooner the better to getting your active life back. What did your OS say about your lower back stiffness? Will you keep taking naproxen? I'm happy for you! Driving is your next goal and it won't be long before you'll be zipping around.
Diane
 
Diane, the OS said that she couldn't help me with my back pain, only my hip pain. I then asked if the low back pain could get better after the left hip done and she said yes. So my interpretation of this exchange is that she did not want to promise me relief from the low back pain, only the hip pain, but that it could get better once the other hip is replaced. So if it gets better, great, if not, well it was never an expectation to begin with. I'm happy and I honestly think the low back pain will get better when I have bilateral hip replacements!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh and yes I will keep taking the anti inflammatory, but going to switch out the naproxen for Celebrex to see if any difference in pain relief.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom