Guest viewing is limited

THR Two down, none to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Blessed1you are a March Musketeer like me-how is your recovery going? Anxious to hear!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think, occasionally, that its once we no longer think or feel pain from the bad hip that was operated the other says oi im here. Not surprising really when for years it has done more and more of the work. At my last appointment to check on opperated hip they took x ray of the other and will be back in may to make decision. My gut feeling is yes please.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin thanks. I will probably discuss it with my surgeon when I go for my six week post op appointment. Her waiting list is 4 months.that would bring me to the end of August but think I would like to wait until the end of September. That would be 6 months between ops. That way I could start the New Year on two new hips!!!!! She is one of the best in the business so want to make sure that she does the other hip. It makes sense to me to have the same surgeon, although sometimes that is just not possible.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It'll be 3 weeks this Thursday since my thr. Still using a walker, I'm thinking this is pretty normal, or should I by this time be using a cane? I know there's no set timetable, but maybe I should be further along?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @DebraR, I used my walker until Week 5 but I know that I've read about others on this site who have used their walkers for longer times (9 weeks sticks in my mind ) and for shorter times or not at all. I actually liked my walker because I felt really secure using it and that buggy would roll!:yahoo: The Home Health PTs transitioned me to my "Hot Rod" cane :happydance:. I used the cane during the day but kept the walker near the bed at night so I could use it if I needed to head to the bathroom. I'm pretty groggy in the middle of the night :zzz: and just thought I would be safer with the walker. I'm now slowly transitioning from the cane to ... nothing! I would just say to you to take it easy and go at your own pace:rotfl: ( no pun there!). One thing you might check is how you are managing to stand at the sink when you wash your face/brush your teeth, etc. For me, at first, I had a death grip on the edge of the sink with one hand until one day I realized that I was just standing there with no support. Now, at first, it was a pretty short time and I would take a break by putting my hands back on the walker or back on the sink. Eventually I was standing longer and longer without support. It was then that I first thought I might be ready for a cane. Good luck!
 
Hi Debra,
I had severe nerve pain down my bad leg before surgery for about a week and all my family doctor did was give me tylenol 3s which had no effect at all. I realized on my own that I was bending forward to take the pressure off my sore hip and I FORCED myself to stand up very straight and walk as normally as possible. Pain went away. I have no idea if this would be of any help to you but I thought it can't hurt to share. Obviously there was a nerve getting pinched somehow. I am two weeks past surgery and when I walk I force myself to walk as erectly as possible. After ages of putting pressure on my good hip to relieve pain on bad hip everything is out of whack and I want to get things back to best possible.
Good luck with the rest of your recovery.
 
@Granny Di thanks for your reply. Yea, I do try to stand up straight as well. Also gives you an empowering feeling. Nerve pain seems to be gone, but have not yet slept in my own bed, which is quite high and pretty soft. Tried to do it last week sometime, by was unable to scrooch myself enough to actually get into bed. Will try again this week. The recliner chair that I rented, which I have been sleeping in, has been a godsend, but I gave to return it in about 10 days. Then I will either sleep on the couch or hopefully our bed.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks @HollyB yes, I will just have to see how I feel. I feel that my progress is steady, so that's a good thing. My other hip is painful at times and very stiff. Trying not to think about the fact that the other one will need doing soon........I so appreciate everyone's input!!!
 
I know exactly what you mean about that second, unoperated hip, @DebraR . Both of my hips were bone-on-bone and it was a matter of 'pick one'. Both of them hurt but in different ways so I picked the one that hurt in the most places. Had RTHR at the end of January, 2015 and have scheduled the second hip for June 09, 2015 -- 19 weeks. But,but,but...if I don't feel ready for that June date then I have no shame about rescheduling. However, so far so good with the current rehab. I do think that my unoperated leg is slowing down my progress but that could be a good thing in that I won't overdo it and suffer from that. I told my OS at the 6 week checkup that my operated leg felt better than the unoperated leg ( you should have seen the grin on his face!). He told me that I might end up switching sides with the cane once my operated leg felt strong enough for that. There's a thought for you to consider,too. The PTs agree with that approach for me. When we work on exercises ,they are very much aware of the unoperated leg and try not to have me doing things that will "stir it up". Now that I think about it I probably enjoyed my walker as much as I did because not only did it support my operated leg but it also supported the unoperated one. H-m-m-m. Keep on keeping on!
 
Amazing how we are able to more factually analyse more with good knowladge base, really glad you have good PT.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@HollyB Happy Monday!!! It was exactly the same for me. The right was only slightly worse than the left (as you said-it hurt in more places!) so my surgeon said ok let's do the right and if left is worse at surgery time, then we will do the left. I picked the correct hip to do first, I think. Is it normal to have an aching back towards the end of the day? My back was bothering me before the surgery and feels better now, but maybe it still hurts because of the unoperated hip? I sometimes find it overwhelming to have to do this all over again, even though my recovery is going pretty well. It is slow, which makes it frustrating!!! I had lateral-wondering if I will ever be able to cut my own toenails? At the moment, I cannot really shave my calves and I am used to doing this every morning in the shower! This is driving me crazy. I know these are little things, and it could be so much worse, so I am very thankful, however nevertheless these little things would be nice to be able to do for myself. I lost my first husband to cancer years ago, so learned to be fiercely independent with an infant to take care of, so maybe that's why this is so frustrating. I suspect that I will know when the right time will be to do the other one. One more thing, I have this weird feeling in my throat sometimes, like I have swallowed mint or something. Is this something I should worry about?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Got my own socks on today with the use of my long shoehorn, reacher and sock aid! Next hurdle will be sleeping upstairs in our high, soft bed.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Great news!!! These little steps forward mean so much!!!
 
Help! I will call my surgeon tomorrow, but broke a tooth today and old, old filling is very loose. I am 19 days post op. Guess I will need antibiotics before a dentist can touch my mouth?
 
Hi @DebraR
What bad luck with your tooth. I recall Josephine saying that antibiotics pre dental work is now not considered necessary but obviously we all have surgeons and dentists with different attitudes. My thought so soon after your op be very careful about the dentist chair, make sure you are really comfortable.

While writing this I looked at your synopsis on the left and thought it said you were 81 yrs old and I looked at your picture and thought you look so young for your age. Then I realised it said 81 messages not 81yrs old !!
karen x
 
Haha! I am 60. Yes, I will be calling my hip surgeon tomorrow and ask for advice. The good thing us II is not hiring right now, maybe I can wait a couple of weeks. I will let you know.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Meant to say that the good thing is that it is not hurting right now


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Debra! Sounds like you are doing really well....I wouldn't worry too much about being off your walker - your body will tell you when it is ready. I was obsessing how I still have to walk with a cane outside at 5 weeks - and then I told myself it is not a competition and it will happen when it is suppose to happen. I was more nervous because I am suppose to start work next week and have my follow up with the os tomorrow. Luckily, my manager has told me that I can work remotely from home if I still feel unsure about navigating subway stairs, etc. What a relief!

I would not wait however, until your tooth starts hurting, because by the time it does, there is a good chance an infection has already begun. I would call your os, and try to get it fixed as soon as you can....just to be on the safe side.

So glad you are recovering so nicely! Isn't it wonderful not to have that pain? Just saw an acquaintance of mine on the street as I was taking a stroll around the block. She hadn't seen me since before the surgery and she said she could tell immediately! My whole posture and my face is different! Said I looked years younger. LOL - I said the veil of pain has been lifted!
 
I too have the option to work from home. At this point (3 weeks in) I could not imagine trying to hoist myself up onto the commuter train. That first step is a killer!!!
As far as the tooth is concerned, I agree with you, I should probably get it looked at as soon as possible. I have not ventured outside since the surgery, so that feels a little daunting, but I got home from the hospital 6 days after surgery in one piece, so I'll just have to be brave!
That's so great that your friend noticed immediately that your whole being had changed and that you looked younger, what great feedback!!! Sometimes people say the darnedest things, but I'd take that and put a feather in my cap! So happy for you.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Debra - in terms of going outside after surgery....I felt very "vulnerable" and not at all confident at first. I did go out a couple of times in my second week, by myself....I actually took a bus a few blocks to a market to see how I would feel. And yes, it was scary. By week three, I would try to do a small independent excursion, by myself, every day outside. And the scary feeling slowly went away as I gained more confidence. I think our bodies/minds, know instinctively that we must protect ourselves....but at the same time I really didn't want to slip into a victim totally scared frame of mind. Ironically....just got back from my OS office for my first follow up and he said all went well. I no longer have any restrictions except high impact sports, like tennis, for the next 3 months. I'm suppose to start pretty aggressive physical therapy (which will hopefully help me with my fear of going down stairs). And then he starts pulling my leg this way and that and sees from my face that I am absolutely horrified! LOL....apparently I've been "babying" this beautiful new hip and it can handle far more than I have been giving it!

Ha Ha....I am definitely going to start working on that! The OS told me at this point, it would be really, really hard to dislocate my hip because of the procedure I had. Looking forward to pushing myself! Everyday gets a bit better, doesn't it? Hope all goes well with the tooth. Did it just break or did it crack?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom