Guest viewing is limited

THR Two down, none to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Debra,
Yeah Home!!! Glad for you! We all heal at different rates. God knows I'm not the fast healer! We'll get there! so glad your feeling stronger. Keep posting!

Elaine
 
@DebraR so sorry to hear your surgeon thought you had gone home & you are there suffering :elevate:
not good communication on the part of medical staff at all and what your conditions and needs were :no-fin:

The good news is you are doing better :loveshwr: & you will be going home !!

You asked about doing stairs, the physio should have been working with you, but you said more on her later..... you need to have your walker and when you are facing stairs going up, you need to always, start with the "good leg up... then the recovery leg(hip); one by one each stair; going down the stairs: start with the "recovery leg going down, then the good leg; one by one = remember the affirmation for which leg to start: "down with the bad and up with the good" (I learned that one in my first THR-R rehab).

(((((heart-thoughts)))) more good to unfold in your recovery woman - - I know it !!!:dancy:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
"I'm going home tomorrow! My surgeon stopped by today and said she didn't realize that I was still here. To that, I said to myself "&;::sh@t!"."

I can't believe it. This brought tears to my eyes then a few expletives to my brain. How dare they be like that. Any way home is the place for you and let the roller coaster ride get to its destination!
[Bonesmart.org] Two down, none to go!
 
Wow.....how unimpressive is that surgeon of yours!!! So sorry you're having to endure such lackluster behavior. You can ask the therapist (assuming you want to deal with him/her) and they can show you how to do stairs.

Be sure you have adequate prescriptions for pain medication BEFORE you leave the hospital. It sounds like it might be diffifcult to get responses should you need them once you get home. Hang in there.....things will get better and there is no doubt you'll feel more like yourself once you are safely home.
 
Hi Debra - just checking in to see how you are doing? Sending healing thoughts your way.....
 
@DebraR

Thinking of you today & this eve - - hope you are settling in nicely at home (((healing hugs))) :flwrysmile:
 
Hi all my wonderful support buddies! I am not sure which of you are actually going through this recovery at the same time as I am. I got home on Wednesday March 25 thank god as I could not have spent another day in that hospital. Not to say I didn't get good care, I most certainly did. Its just that, in Canada, we have Medicare, which is wonderful, but there are problems with our health care system, and there is just too much to do and the nurses are horribly overworked. They do the best they can, and I did have a couple of sweethearts that I always hoped I would see from day to day. Started a slight fever and diarrhea the day I was leaving, but insisted on going home. It has taken up until today for this problem to subside. Yesterday was a terribly emotional day, today is a great day. I guess that's how it's going to be, right? I did call my surgeon about the nerve pain and she said that a nerve could have been compressed by the posts that they used to keep my body in place doing the surgery. She thinks it should resolve within the 6 weeks, which is when my follow up appointment with her is. Thanks to all of you for being concerned about me, it was of great comfort to me. I will post again soon. I was trying to post a photo of my badge of honor, but it wasn't working as this is my husband's iPad and the phot was taken from my iPhone. My photos sync from my iPhone to facebook, but I do not see a Facebook button to access a photo. Any ideas anyone?
 
Glad you are home dont use the book thingy sorry. Did you get meds for nerve pain
 
No meds for nerve pain, only rears its ugly head with certain movements. I will stick it out until my f/u appt with my surgeon, but if not pain still there, will definitely ask for something for it!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@DebraR Good to hear from you, was concerned from your last post and things not stabilized. :flwrysmile:

You sound good and glad things are settling down. Trust each day you will see bits of recovery that get bigger the
next day, and that will continue consistently, after those swings of really good and than terrible day.
I remember with my spine surgery (which was the hardest surgery for me not my first THR-R) past the anesthesia trauma from surgery whole spine hurt, couldn't walk more than a block for months. Each day started to progress consistently.

I'm an April Rainbow the very first surgery April 1st, surgery count-down is 4 days !! I am really ready :SUNsmile:
Had my pre-op surgeons assistant appt. going over meds, general check-up; then yesterday my pre-surgery appt. for ekg and blood taken (just in case they need blood transfusion for match in blood bank) = "all systems go" = greenlight !! :thumb:

Getting things set to pack for hospital and another pack for rehab (est. a week) Wed Apr 1 is surgery, probably be at rehab center by Sat Apr 2; will be there for Easter so packed a fun pair of leisure clothes pink with white bunnies, pink slinky camisole & pink slinky knit cover-up & pink & white bunny slippers - - hoping the Easter Bunny finds me okay there, so I get my favorite chocolate bunny and mini-jelly beans!?! :roseshwr:

(((heart-thoughts))) with you Debra, so hoping that nerve pain eases up and goes for good before your follow-up appt. with your surgeon :yes: !!
 
@DebraR Welcome home! You know the mantra! Hope you are getting some much needed rest.
 
Yes, lots of rest, TLC from hubby and doing everything the physiotherapist asks from me. Every day I feel a little bit better - 11 days post op. I posted my badge of honour in the appropriate area here for anyone who is interested. Got 16 of my 18 staples out today, nurse will come by again tomorrow to see how I am doing. Haven't experienced the nerve pain hardly at all today, maybe it has gone!
 
@Joydancer,
good luck with your surgery tomorrow, you will be in my thoughts, what time is your surgery and what time zone, so that I can be thinking about you exactly during your surgery? You will be quite the cute sight with your bunny pjs on, what a nice idea!
 
Things seem to be coming along fine. The fevers and diarreah have stopped, nerve pain much less often and not as intense. For the first 11 days post op, I did not need pain meds, except tylenol 650. Last night my non operated hip started to be painful (will need to have this one replaced as well) so I decided to take the oxycodone 5mg. It really helped. I have been operating from our main level, but today will be venturing upstairs for my first shower! It will be heavenly as tomorrow will be 2 weeks with no shower or shampooing. I will take another oxycodone before this excursion.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You sound great @DebraR ! That first shower is heaven! And such an accomplishment. Enjoy!
 
Shower was everything I thought it would be!!! Wanted to stay in there forever! Things are moving along, so far, so good. Two weeks ago today, hubby and I were at the hospital and I was extremely nervous, in the process of being admitted and then preparing to go into the actual surgery. I was saying this morning how sometimes I can't believe I actually went through with it! Then I remember that I really did have no choice as my life had dwindled to hardly being able to walk the 15 minutes to the train station after work. I am trying to get through this one before thinking about the other hip-I, at this point, get a little overwhelmed at that. But there are many good reasons for getting the other one done sooner rather than later. Any input on how long any of you waited for the second one would be most appreciated! Happy Easter to you all!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Congratulations! You sound like you take things as they come and that you are very patient. Glad to hear that you are home. :flwrysmile:
 
Yes, so far, so good. Slow, steady and very carefully.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom