Guest viewing is limited

THR Two down, none to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DebraR, my lower back pain definitely improved after the first hip. It still aches on occasion but I don't have to keep stopping and starting when I'm doing housework for rest breaks. I use Naproxen, but haven't had to use vicodin in a long while (except for hip flare-ups). I'm hoping to just go back to Aleve.

You definitely are working toward your goal and I wish you the very best!
 
@JanetLynn I read some of your recovery thread and noticed that you are a double hippie?! So you are already living my dream. I am scared but so far not as scared as the first time, but it's still 3 months away. When did you have your second one done?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yesterday was a good day, today not so much. My left hip (unoperated one) is painful and I feel very emotional. It is so hard to keep "up" under these circumstances even though it is a beautiful day and I have so many blessings in my life. I feel horrible as I see so many people (through the media) overcoming much worse things than this, like all those people that lost limbs at the Boston Marathon. I listen to their stories and how they are getting on with their lives and adjusting, and think, what is wrong with me, why can't I just be happy and get on with things until I have the other hip done? My husband is a very up person and he gets annoyed when I'm feeling down. Ultimately, I have to explain to him that I am not him! I deal with things totally differently. I wish I could be like him and all those others than overcome worse things, I try, I guess that's all I can do. Sometimes I succeed and sometimes I don't.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Its normal, we agree to do the opp to make life better and then its sooo long recovery and just when you think yaaaaay this new hip is fine and dandy then other hip says OI. I have done most the work while you loooked after the opperated hip. Also you compare to people who lose limbs they have waaaaay more post operative support and they need it. Also look at the time line for these people.
Debra you have been cut pulled sawn hammered, your muscles well wont go there. Its been a long road this recovery thing that at times the light at the end of the tunnel is v v dim. So of course you have fed up moments. Also you look to the prospect of poss doing it all again. So no surprise you have fed up moments, we all do. Sheeeeesh the amount of times without realising it I have played song yesterday Frank Sinatra version and well just get it out.
You know the script re bright pain free future so not going to go on, just to say we all are with you and feel for you. As for hubby bet he has his fed up moments tooo
Take care lass

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin Thanks for that. Have to keep positive and try to remember that light at the end of the tunnel. Bad days will happen, I need to keep them in perspective. Guess I just never expected the other one to give me problems so soon. Now I know and will deal. Thanks again for taking the time to send me your kind words, they mean a lot to me. Hope you are recovering well.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Nae probs me errrrrr im ish but its in my thread. Anytime you are down post it here or sing your heart out, dont kick the cat tho. You better today at all

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @DebraR
Just read your post. You are allowed to be down if you need to be - you are human! I think a lot of us spend a lot of time being positive and upbeat for others then post hip op our bodies say 'Hang on a minute what about me?". At one point I felt vulnerable, really weak and vulnerable and those around me were really really shocked. i actually needed to be tearful for some weeks post op, seeing the news, hearing music or almost anything set mw off. At one point I thought of all the young boys who went off to fight in WW1 only 50% came back - a bit the equivalent of you and the Boston marathon runners. I felt what right have I got to be upset. But at last it has all come together and now I feel back to my usual self.

So just hang on in there ... a hip op sounds such a routine thing and the enormity of it is often over looked.

Take care X
 
I'm almost a double hippie, just 2 days to go. Being without Naproxen is horrific. Finding the right anti-inflammatory will definitely help your other hip, and of course, keep moving, even if just a little.

I know life will be even better after recovery. I'm tired of the groin pain, and whimpering and sighing in my sleep which wakes me up. I've enjoyed following your recovery and the progress you have made. Tears are healing as they do help release the negative emotions.

Keep posting and being honest. It will help me and others cope and manage. Hugs and cheers!
 
Another milestone met today-I drove my car! It was great and oh so easy! Haven't driven since middle of March. I am finally feeling almost back to my old self. Just one more hip to do, then I'll be the old Deb!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Debra - Just started reading about your recovery journey when I came across your comment Nerve pain is apparently caused by all the banging getting the new joint in (which I heard by the way as I was awake during the surgery]

OMG! Did you feel anything during this time? I HAD decided on a spinal block but after hearing about your experience, not so sure...:shocked:

Hope you're doing much better now, by the way! :fingersx:
 
@Teecup Have since learned that the nerve pain was probably caused by the posts that they use to hold you in place during the surgery. It resolved on its own, so no worries there. I did not feel a thing, just an awareness of what was happening, but surprisingly I was not anxious in the least, most probably because of the sedative. I would definitely choose spinal block (as I will do again when I go for the other hip) but this time I will ask for more sedative so that I just fall asleep and wake up when it is all over. My experience was a very good one.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My sister was an OR nurse and she said one woman who was anesthetized yelled "Who's hammering?" during her hip surgery. :heehee:
Freedom DebraR! Driving is a huge milestone on the road to recovery. Good for you!
Did you buy chocolate?
 
@ Granny Di yes, it was so great to drive and it was even easier than the dreaded stairs, which were easy peasy! Did not buy chocolate (but should have!) actually bought a beautiful orange hanging flower basket for the front of our house. Have attached photo but not sure if it worked.

[Bonesmart.org] Two down, none to go!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
That's so funny, the story about the woman asking who's hammering!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Love the flowers! It was hot here today - and we had rain so the grass is greening - won't be long tip the mosquitoes are out and we will be complaining about the heat and the bugs. Glad you are getting better.
 
Truly concerned, buying flowers and not chocolate, my world as I know it is in tatters. Most ladies I know would have bought both esp my daughters. Chortle, good for you lass

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Ah, the sleep position issue...... I seem to have a mild phobia about sleeping on my operated side. All restrictions have been lifted for over a week now, in fact, that was never one of my restrictions from the beginning I could have slept on the operated side. But who wants to sleep on the incision side before it has actually healed. It did heal, of course, and quite well. But I find I cannot bring myself to sleep on it! Have slept on the other side and love the cozy feeling of curling up a bit. Has anyone else experienced this?
 
I seem to have a mild phobia about sleeping on my operated side.
Soft tissues can stay sensitive for quite awhile. I had this issue with my LTHR. Don't worry - as things continue to settle you will be able to sleep on that side.
 
Thanks-I hope this happens before I get the left side done!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom