Guest viewing is limited

THR Two down, none to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, you actually got in Avis alone only 2 weeks in? I'd say you have that "scared victim" thing licked from the get go!! The part that is giving me a bit of anxiety is that I had nerve pain, which was excruciatingly painful, the last time I got into/out of a car (that was on the way home here from the hospital). Have not been outside since, tomorrow is 3 weeks post op. My PT gave me some tips and things to practice that may help. Filling actually fell out of tooth, good thing I didn't swallow it!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Meant to say "you actually got onto a bus by yourself"


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My OS prefers that if the dental work can wait until after my 6 week post op appointment with her, that would be best. I will tell the dentist this and see if something temporary can be done to protect it until then.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Went to dentist. It went great. I think I can safely say that the nerve pain in the inside of my operated leg has gone. Did not feel it once getting in it out of the car. Good news is that tooth can wait until my 6 week appointment with my ortho surgeon, which is April 30. Unless of course it starts to hurt, then I will need the work done right away. So I'll either need a crown or a crown and root canal. Relieved for now!!!! I used my cane and held my husband's arm. Good experience for my first outing. Yay, me!!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Brilliant its so good to get good news and also to face upto fears and vanquish them, nice one

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Yes, onwards and upwards! One day at a time.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Debra - sounds like you are doing great. For some reason, it seems that I am doing great strides from week 5-6...it seems that I had not made progress for a week or so which had gotten me down. And this is a good thing since I am going to work remotely starting Monday...I'm ok about this since I am bored out of my mind....can't wait to start working again...

I am still uncertain about my ability to go up and down stairs that have 20=-40 steps....so that is why I will work remotely for the next 2 weeks. My manager is really pressuring me to get back to work..

Glad you got the dental thing done. I was released to drive my car yesterday! OMG! It made such a big difference in my outlook! Independence!

xo Sheila
 
Hi Sheila. Yes it was a breakthrough, however really paying for it. Started to really stiffen up last night and this morning also. Have to remind myself that yesterday was only my 3 week anniversary. I am so lucky no one is pressuring me about work, my boss told me that I could work from home as long as I wanted to. I am not chomping at the bit to get back to work, I actually love all this time that I have just concentrating on getting stronger. When I was out yesterday, I did great, but my back was killing me and my non operated hip too. I was just soooo happy that getting in and out of car went well. I walked the longest I have walked since the op, so that's why I am paying for it today. It's a rainy day here in Montreal, a perfect day for an afternoon nap. Nice hearing from you.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sheila, post 2- I looked back on your message and want to add a couple of things. Yes, stairs are daunting, I can manage the 15 or so stairs in our house, but it does tire me out. Perhaps you could practice with your physiotherapist or a family member? Also, great stuff about you getting cleared to drive, that must feel amazing. Don't think I am there yet, as it is my right leg that was operated and I am still working on gaining strength in it as I have difficulty raising it, the muscle is still too weak. Let me know how you are doing.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Second day since my outing to the dentist. My lower back is still very stiff and sore. My unoperated hip is giving me problems also. It is week 3 since the op and am wondering when this is all going to get better. I am feeling down, but have to keep it to myself, lest my husband thinks I've given up. He means well, but I guess does not want me to get depressed so always tries to minimize feelings that he perceives as negative. I just want my life to be back to normal, as I have been dealing with pain for a few years now. Intellectually I know it will get better, but some days that doesn't help me to feel better. And to think I will have to go through this whole thing again for the other side is overwhelming some days, this being one of them. I'm sure some of you have been here, I am so discouraged. I guess this is part of the roller coaster of emotions that a lot of us go through.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sorry to hear you are feeling down DebraR. I am older than you by 9 years ( I will be 69 in May) and I think we can see that we have only a few good years left...at least that's the way I feel. I wanted to get this hip ASAP so I could be biking, hiking and skiing again. I have been telling my grandchildren that I am going to live to 100 and they believe me. :loll: I do want to spend more time with them skiing, hiking and even surfing which I did for the first time last May. The body heals itself and you will get better and still have a good 20 + years ahead to enjoy an active life. The pain will ease but it does take time and we have to be patient and not rush the healing. I think it is okay to have a cry once in a while as it is all so frustrating.
About driving- I can get in the car easily on the passenger side but I think it will be more difficult on the driver's side. I doubt I will be able to until the 6 weeks are up and I don't have to obey the 90 degree rule.
Hope you are feeling better today!
Diane
 
Diane, thanks for that! I usually feel down in the morning I guess because I haven't moved all night (except for getting up to pee!) my husband was surprisingly understanding this morning and told me things will get better and gave me a hug. Yes, I definitely have a lot of living left to do, I am only 60 and that is why I chose to have this done in the first place. Thanks for your encouraging words. All I really want is to be able to go for nice long brisk walks with my husband. There is one particular walk along the ocean in New Hampshire which is so beautiful, in fact my husband and I used to run it before my osteoarthritis brought this activity to a halt. Last year, we went there with some friends and I had to sit in a bench by the ocean while they did that beautiful walk. I'd like to walk it this summer. I just hope my left hip does not stop me from doing that. You sound like an extremely active person so I'm sure you will soon get where you want to be as well. I'm hesitant about driving at this point also, my right hip is the one that was operated on and I'm still having difficulty lifting it as the muscle is not cooperating. Again, thanks for your kind words, I wish you a peaceful, pain-free day!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Its always hard to do the sit and watch thing, its why I over do stuff as a I dont sit, you are so right to think of it as investment in a better future. Re morning downer feeling I always look outside first thing get a blast of fresh air and listen to birds, have been known to sing does scare the birds away

Legin THR Sep 14
 
It is finally warming up with lots of sunshine here on Cape Cod. @Legin is right. There is nothing like a bit of fresh air and song birds -- and it's here finally! I just checked the Montreal weather and see the warm weather is making it's way to you. Hope that will jump start your sense of well being from your head right down to your toes.
I'm headed into pre-op and just starting my 2 week countdown. Thank you for sharing your journey. It's all so very helpful to me -- the difficulties and the victories. :thankyou:
 
Haha!! Maybe I will try that! It's a beautiful day here in Montreal, going to go for a short walk with hubby today and see how that goes.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@wcgirl yes, it is a beautiful day here in Montreal. Going to venture out with my walker (don't want to overdo and set myself back a couple of days!). Info I just read from my physiotherapist says I should work my way up to 20 minutes nonstop walking by my six week appointment. I'm half way there and can so about 10 minutes now so I'm half way there! Will this be your first hip replacement? When is your surgery? You don't know how happy that makes me that I am helping someone else on this journey! I have learned so much about myself and feel I will come through this a better person, more aware of other people's struggles and victories. Have a fr great day and let's keep in touch. Stay strong!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Had just a fantastic walk today, it is so beautiful out! Used my walker. Will try and progress to cane sometime this week. It's amazing how the weather affects our mood. The neighbours are all out doing something, so got to talk to them all. What a difference a day makes. Love you all
Deb


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@DebraR, the nice weather has such a positive affect on us! It is a beautiful day here also. Finally the snow is all melted!

Keep up the good work walking!
 
I will! Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom