Guest viewing is limited

Trying to not chicken out this time, any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep putting one foot forward and the next you will get there. And you will be so glad. Take care. Tashia
 
Joeski, I thought about you first thing this morning, knowing you have just one week left with that painful hip.
When you get anxious, visualize doing something (like stooping and kneeling in your gardening) that you haven't been able to do pain free for a long time. Think about how good it will feel to stand up and walk without pain. Do you even remember how that felt?

Right now, I'm in Cedar Key for a few days, for kayaking, bike riding, and eating fantastic seafood. I was here a year ago, and I couldn't even stroll down the scenic streets I was in so much pain. Getting on my bike was painful. I took a megadose of ibuprofen before going paddling with the group and it was still a struggle. But when told I needed a THR I opted for cortisone and a summer of PT before I relented. Ugh!

One year later, and six months post-op, I've walked all over this town, ridden my bike everywhere (AND I am able to swing my leg over to get on my bike, instead of stepping through like a sissy:rolleyes:, for the first time in a year.) It has been months since my hip gave me even a twinge of discomfort.

So that's my story. Almost immediately after surgery, my life was so much better, and it's done nothing but improve since then.

Think about the things you want to be doing in six months, when next Wednesday will be a fond and distant memory in your life.

And every time you start to get cold feet this next week, hoist yourself back to your thread here and read all the posts from us bonesmarties who care about you. Feel free to express your concerns as often as you like. We've all been where you are, and we all had our fears, too. We are here for you:angel:.
 
sissy46 Oh you are such a good calmer and advisor! I also am reminded, "look at the time when I CAN do all these things which hurt so much to do now"!!!!! I think I'm going to write something like that down and paste it to my hand or something!:) Cedar Key activities sound just like what I can't do, and want to so much. I will again, I know it!:)
 
Remember Joe, the waiting and all that goes along with it is the worst part. You are a March Musketeer and a Bonesmart Warrior! And if you even think of cancelling, your wife will call us!
 
Wishing you well from Cedar Key:)
[Bonesmart.org] Trying to not chicken out this time, any help?
 
Sissy you sure do know how to rub it in! beautiful picture!
we are still in winter mode here, having snow every few days,
more coming tonight and talk of another storm early next week :(
i'm ready for Spring!
have fun in Cedar Key!
 
sissy46 Oh you are such a good calmer and advisor! I also am reminded, "look at the time when I CAN do all these things which hurt so much to do now"!!!!! I think I'm going to write something like that down and paste it to my hand or something!:) Cedar Key activities sound just like what I can't do, and want to so much. I will again, I know it!:)
And I agree 100% for sure. It's really weird thinking a week from now it will have been done & I might have been discharged by now or tomorrow morning + 1 week. I am so looking forward to no more bone crunching on bone crunching pain. And I hope I can get on a normal day time schedule. I haven't really been getting up before 3 PM then end up falling asleep around 4 or 5 or 6 AM. And I don't do much of anything during my awake time.
 
I took that picture on a river near Cedar Key.

Yep, this time next week you will be walking on your new hip! and wondering why you ever worried.

Just remember, while in the hospital:

1. take the pain meds before you are in pain so you stay ahead of it. If you have PCA (patient controlled analgesia) push the button every chance you get. If you need more pain med, don't hesitate to ask. It's there for you. The goal is not to be brave or stoic, but to be comfortable, and you can be. And should be.

2. if anyone, even a sweet, cute physical therapist, asks you to do anything that hurts, say "NO!" "Maybe tomorrow."

3. if you're not given an ice pack for your hip, ask for one. It really helps.

4. do your "toe pumps" often.

5. sleep when you can.

6. know that warm, encouraging wishes are coming to you from bonesmarties all over the world!
 
Joeski sure looks like sissy46 could be a moderator, huh? You will get your regular sleep back, I know it! I read once that if you have sleep problems and are off by 12 hours, how to solve it (post-op of course!) is to stay up 1-2hrs later every time you sleep, and in a week or so you should be in a right schedule. I've never had to try it, but I sure know some young men in my family who would have benefited from it at one time or another LOL
 
Joeski reading through your thread I can tell you've come a long way and now have a good positive attitude about your upcoming surgery. That's what you need and you will wonder what the fuss was about afterward. Follow sissy46 example and think of the life ahead and all that you will be able to do...I just had surgery and I that's what is getting me through each day. Sending you calming thoughts and wishing you very best on Wednesday.
 
Remember Joe, the waiting and all that goes along with it is the worst part.
octopus you are so right. I'm doing last minute cleaning & organizing and at time it seems a minute or two is an hour but at other times the time fly's by.
 
You will get your regular sleep back, I know it! I read once that if you have sleep problems and are off by 12 hours, how to solve it (post-op of course!) is to stay up 1-2hrs later every time you sleep, and in a week or so you should be in a right schedule. I will be trying this for sure because my only other option is to move east or west 12 hours & I think that might be in the middle of the Pacific ocean where there is nothing but water. octopus told me New Zealand is 17 hours different then Pennsylvania. That would be a great change of pace. I've never had to try it, but I sure know some young men in my family who would have benefited from it at one time or another LOL
 
Joeski reading through your thread I can tell you've come a long way and now have a good positive attitude about your upcoming surgery. That's what you need and you will wonder what the fuss was about afterward. Follow sissy46 example and think of the life ahead and all that you will be able to do...I just had surgery and I that's what is getting me through each day. Sending you calming thoughts and wishing you very best on Wednesday.
I need to reread your post op thread again. I've been reading so much I am starting to get all mixed up. But in a good way. Thank you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom