Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

With warm wishes for a smooth surgery and speedy recovery!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I once had a tech nick a nerve doing a blood draw. It was very painful at the time and continued to hurt (less so) for weeks. Luckily it wasn't as bad as what your daughter had. The tech just sort of shrugged. Grrr.
 
I learned one thing at my joint replacement class tonight. The hospital has a DME company that has walkers in about 7 or 8 different colors!!! Thinking of trading mine in for a bright red one! :rotfl:
 
Enjoy your new red walker, and all the best with your knew knee on Monday.
 
@Glamg1979 I'm currently at :dubious: stage and escalating! Sometimes I want to just :boohoo:. My stomach has been tied in knots all week long. I've decided that we will both have a good recovery.

I'll get my call tomorrow afternoon to let me know what time my surgery will be. I hope it's early. Last time my surgery didn't start until 2pm. My old knee has really been acting up a lot. My OS said it doesn't need to be replaced currently. I do have a moderate amount of arthritis and also a tear in the meniscus. I'm hoping that once I'm off my feet it will start to feel better.
 
Marion, you are in my thoughts and will be as you move forward.
You are about to take a huge step toward the pain-free life you want and deserve. :loveshwr:
 
I'll get my call tomorrow afternoon to let me know what time my surgery will be. I hope it's early. Last time my surgery didn't start until 2pm.
I hop you get the first slot in the AM!! No waiting!!---those 2 PM slots---and going without food or water for that long---and waiting---and waiting---are terrible!!
 
Hang in there, Marian!
I'm betting that after all your worrying, the actual operation is going to feel like a bit of an anticlimax.

Try to think of the positives - after a period of recovery, you'll have a knee that works properly.
 
I got my time to report to the hospital on Monday. It's 930am. Surgery will be somewhere within 2 hours of that time. I can't believe how truly anxious I am. I've been nauseous and have had a headache all day long. It was hard to contemplate at work too. I work from 2pm to 9 tonight which is actually a short day for me. I really don't remember another time in my life when I have felt like this. This is the 7th time I've had surgery in my lifetime including thoracic surgery and I was never this frazzled before. It's going to be a very long weekend.
 
Marian, you are covered in prayer. You know what the recovery will be like, have things ready, and the love of your family and all of us. You WILL make it through surgery, you WILL wake up with a new knee by a great new surgeon, and you WILL recover. You know what it takes. God did not lead you this far to abandon you now. I have faith in your new surgeon and in you. God bless you always. Now, spend the weekend doing some cleaning, cook you some meals, and get your nest set up. Have you gotten someone to help you stock up on groceries this time?
 
Janis is right! This is whole new beginning, painful at first, but that will disappear with time. You know what to do and not do. I would be nervous if I was going into another TKR surgery also. Did I ever mention that I cried the whole way from the dr. office to the hospital with my infection surgery? But you know more than I did and knowledge is power. Stay as busy as you can this weekend, getting the house ready, but take a few hours to see a movie and relax.
 
The family has plans to get together on Sunday for a lunch on Sunday for Kristen's 32nd birthday. We are all hoping that snow does not stop us from going since we are all coming from different starting points. My youngest daughter is coming home tonight after work and she will help me with any last minute clean up around the house and stocking up with food. I also have an appointment today for 2 of my three dogs who are behind in their shots. I'll feel better getting that done so I don't have to worry about them.

My fear is all the pain I had last time when I didn't take pain meds after a little more than 2 weeks post op. I was so sick from them and my then OS only tried two meds and didn't give me anything for nausea and then gave me tramadol 25mg which also made me sick so I had nothing from there on. The aspirin started to give me an ulcer from having no food in my stomach when I took them. I was extremely depressed and my psychiatrist was out of the country. PT was horrible with pushing on my knee every time I went there. I know better now and my OS has promised to listen to any problems I have but I had someone promise me that before. My youngest daughter was crying on the phone with me last night because she was around to witness all of this too. She is worried about me and of course she doesn't want to see her mother in such bad shape.
 
I was only able to take MS Contin. I had a hellish night in the hospital until they could find the right drug and that I could tolerate. You know this time that there are other options and to demand them. Ask for an anti-nausea drug too. Enjoy your outing with your family. It will take your mind off the surgery for a bit and give you some happy memories to reflect on.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@KarriB Im not sure what he will use. I did tell him about the nausea I get from pain medications in general so he would will prescribe anti nausea meds. I've had problems with Vicodin, Percocet and nucynta in the past. I could only take a random tramadol too since that also causes my stomach problems. I will have a discussion with him since his office is an hour away and it would be very difficult to get a new prescription from him if he is going to change meds. I know anaesthesiologist will be using the scopolamine patches that help my nausea with motion sickness. I think that will be the way to go. My PCP would prescribe them for me if the hospital doesn't.
 
@Timetolive I did try to demand different meds from old OS and his nurse flatly refused to give me anything else. I had been going to that group for over 7 years and never once asked for pain meds but I was treated like I was drug seeking.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom