Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

You are a good mother Marian! It is a good reason to have the knees in shape and we also have to be in shape for the grand babies when they come around:) I really hope everything goes well for her.
 
Hi there newlybionic - you have surely had a rough trip on this recovery road. My sympathies with your pain meds difficulties. This surgery (my first) was how we discovered that morphine does nothing for me.
Thankfully, eventually codeine was tried, and I could tolerate that with stool softeners.
Here in Canada, my work plan limits me to 6 PT sessions, so that situation is different in other locations.
My thoughts are with you as you get mentally and emotionally ready for work. One thing that helped me was those instant ice packs - what a relief at a break time.
thinking of you.... lilbit.
 
Thanks everyone for your kind words for both my daughter and me.

8 days left!!! The countdown is on!!!
 
Hi Marian!
Thinking about you! Yes, the countdown begins. There must be some comfort in knowing what to expect this time? And what to ask for?!! Surgery date Monday, March 21??? March 20 will be 8 mon anniversary for me! Maybe this will be "lucky day" for you!
Hugs!
 
Hi Marian, Has Kristen gotten her test results back yet ? You too certainly deserve a break. You're both in my thoughts & prayers Hope you enjoy yourselves on the 20th, and I'm sure things will go better for you on the 21st. Your new surgeon sounds like a caring, compassionate person, and that can make all the difference. Please try to stay positive through all of this. Your attitude can also be a positive influence for Kristen. Hugs to both of you!
 
8 days until a new beginning. Your new OS sounds like he is listening to your special needs and will take good care of you. I'm sure you will realize very soon that this surgery will have been done the correct way.
I hope Kristen has had relief from her spinal headache.
Are you having a spinal with this surgery?
 
7 days to go! Here's hoping that you endured most of the left knee recovery pain in this first surgery and you'll have a @jmdearras kind of recovery on the revision!
 
7 days!!! Yikes! The last few days at work has really shown me it's definitely time to do this. I am 8 months post op yesterday. Swelling is huge and pain levels ranging upwards to 7 or 8 even with tramadol. I'm a bit worried because my poor old knee has been complaining loudly as it has been doing double duty for such a long time.

I've also decided to attend the joint replacement class this Wednesday evening. I think getting to hear more about the hospital would be helpful to me. I know this time my OS uses CPMs while my old OS didn't. It will be interesting to see the difference.
 
I used a CPM machine and really liked it. I could see daily progress with it. I thought about you on my walk today. Am glad that you did not have to wait a full year for a second opinion. Hope the week goes fast for you!
 
My report says that they used a CPM machine but if they did it was while I was under.
 
My sister had a CPM machine for both of her tkr's. She loved it and has terrific ROM. My surgeon did not use it, said he only would use it if someone couldn't do enough exercise on their own. Seems like using it would make it a little easier on the patient. Hope your joint replacement class is helpful and informative. Not long now, hope you don't have too much pain tonight.
 
Marian, how many more days of work do you have to put in before surgery?
 
Been thinking of you. I have pre-op testing and visit with OS tomorrow! Fingers crossed no repeat cardiac stress test. :fingersx:

My OS does not use CPM but I have lifted hundreds of them and strapped the patients in for their night when I worked the evening shift. My back was much, much younger then. :)
 
6 days to go and it's not too soon. I worked 11 hours today. 6 am until 5 pm and I'm really hurting. I have to work just Thursday and Friday. I finally feel like I don't nderstand everything at work and can handle most problems on my own. Now it's just the rare things that I may need help but I know where to get the answers. It's a very technical job and any small problem can be very detrimental to my patients. I've been making notes for myself all week so I won't forget anything when I come back. It's just a frustrating situation.

@Glamg1979 I remember those heavy CPMs too. I think that's why I went into cardiac nursing. No heavy equipment for me since I didn't graduate nursing school until I was almost 40.:heehee: The pre op testing really need it become very real to me. I have a slightly used Left artificial knee owned by a little old lady available. I could fedex it to you!:loll:

My poor oldest daughter has been dealing with the MS diagnosis and worried about infertility problems and now she has been hit with one more thing too. She had her spinal tap with conscious sedation and has the usual terrible headaches which lasted for several days with her. She called me yesterday and told me she thinks the nurse caused nerve damage in her right hand and arm. Supposedly they started an IV in the bend of her elbow and the Doctor had them take that out because it wasn't in the vein. To me that's pretty bad that this 'nurse' didn't know that. She then put one in at the side of her wrist. She told me she immediately had a very sharp pain that went from her hand and halfway up her arm. The told her they 'hit a nerve' and it will go away. Now 6 days later she still has that pain and if the side of her wrist touches anything, including her shirt, she drops whatever is in her hand and gets the sharp pain. In 20 years of nursing I have never seen or heard this before. Any of my fellow nurses have any ideas! @Josephine have you heard this before? Thanks to all.
 
Marian, I am so sorry your daughter has had this happen on top of dealing with the MS diagnosis. I did not have ANY sedation for my spinal. The neuro told me to grab my knees and tuck as tight as I could and then he tucked my fat under (how embarrassing) and went at it. He was very good. Did they mention they could do a blood patch for the headache after?? Has your daughter contacted the doctor and told them she still has the headache? Does she drink a lot of water? It is a terrible headache. I am sorry she has it.

I liked my CPM. I also did PT while I had it, but found the CPM relaxing. It kept the knee happy and that is all I cared about. You are going to do great this time around!
 
@Timetolive Yes she had the blood patch done but she still had the headache. She was drinking a lot of water and wound up in bed for a few days. She is very afraid of all medical procedures that she wouldn't have the spinal until she found a place that would give her conscious sedation. After all this her specialist told her she didn't even need to have it done! His secretary demanded she have it done before the first visit.:tantrum2: bureacracy at its finest.
 
Hi Marion. Your daughter just can't seem to catch a break, poor dear. She didn't need the lumbar puncture to begin with, wanted conscious sedation and then the nurse hits a nerve while starting her IV. SMH.
I can empathize with Kristen being scared of medical procedures and wanting the conscious sedation. I have a totally irrational and infantile fear of dental procedures and my dentist does conscious sedation for me. I sleep right through it all without a care in the world!

Never heard of nerve damage occurring from starting an IV, but I guess it could happen. The pain she is experiencing is typical of nerve damage, unfortunately nerves take a long time to heal.

I am so glad you are just about finished working but those last few shifts were re-enforcement so that you know you are doing the right thing .
Thought about you yesterday, had such a great day I was thinking I could cancel surgery :shrug: but know it needs to be done. Don't want to waste time again living with one painful knee and one new knee. Put off 1st surgery way too long and a good part of my life was spent on the sofa and being afraid to have the TKR done. I want 2 good, strong knees and more than ready to get off the couch and enjoy my life and family.

Hope I will be medically cleared today and then onward to the 29th!!
No delays! :dubious:
 
@Glamg1979 I hope your pre op went well. I still have days that if all I've done for a couple of days us just sit and watch the world go by I start to think that maybe I should just skip the revision. I know I will never be happy just doing nothing for the rest of my life. I'm fortunately very healthy and I have more living to do. So I'm ready. I'm hoping my old knee calms done a bit when it finally gets a rest.

5 days and counting . This is how I feel now :old:. In a couple of months I'll be :happydance:
 
I've never heard of any such thing happening before though it is possible if, as it appears, the nurse wasn't properly trained or practiced. There's really no excuse for it. Phlebotomy isn't that difficult!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom