Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

I too think your surgery and rehab will go much better this time. It really sounds like you have a competent and caring new OS team, but I understand your trepidation completely. Chin up. Soon you will be on the other side. Be good, really good, to yourself the next two weeks!
 
Hi Marion! I think it must be very normal to vacillate between fear and being ready to get it done. I am going through the same thing and am looking for reasons to cancel my L knee. But everytime I get up in the morning or in the middle of the night that new R knee is taking most of my weight bearing because the L knee has gotten so bad.
Your new hospital sounds great and I like that all they do are orthopedic cases.
My pre-op tests will be done on the 16th and I will be at Mayo a good part of the day wandering from department to department to get it all done....ugh!
My prayers are that we both get that feeling of peace and calm when we are taken into the OR. I had it last time and I just knew everything was going to be just fine.

Been a little hectic here tonight. My daughter had to take her German Shepherd to the emergency vet clinic and the dog ended up being rushed to surgery for bloat/stomach torsion. Very upsetting but so far the dog pulled through surgery and hopefully will make a full recovery.
 
@Glamg1979 I do hope your daughter's dog makes a quick recovery.

It seems like a lot of people say to me that this will be an easier surgery because you know what to expect but it's the fear of going through the pain and sickness I had last time that frightens me. I know this OS has promised to listen to me and help me with the pain and side effects of the meds to find the correct ones for me. I'm also a bit worried that I'll be on my own. I have three little dogs that I worry about because my yard isn't fenced and my driveway is gravel so I can't walk out with them. I have one friend who lives about 20 miles away who will come by if I need her but she can't come too often because she can't afford the gas for her car and if I don't qualify for short term disability payments I'll have no income until I go back to work. One of my daughters or my sister can come on the weekends so I can get some food in from the stores.
 
Hi Marian, I remember being very nervous before my second TKR too. Just about convinced myself I was getting tonsillitis ! Please try to have faith that all will go well this time. My 2nd tkr was easier, probably because I knew what to expect and what was normal. Every little thing that went on didn't scare the daylights out of me. I hope you'll be able to get enough help with your pets. Any neighborhood kids that might be willing to walk them ? Hope you are able to relax soon, I know this is a scary time for you. You certainly deserve to have an easy time of it this time ! Stay positive☺
 
I'm having an 'up' day today. I will be going to my family doctor tomorrow to get my medical clearance. I know he won't be happy that I didn't go to one of the ortho doctors in his hospital group for a second opinion on the revision but I had gone to them several years back and I really didn't like them at all. They were the group that told me I needed a knee replacement but I had to wait until I was at least 60 ( I was 50 then). They are also not in a very easy place to get to.

I wound up talking to an acquaintance from 30 years ago last night. She too has had a knee replacement. I was able to give her some advice from everything I had learned here. She is being threatened with the dreaded MUA because she is only at 95 flexion at 6 weeks! I told her to take a look here to get more info and ask any questions. I really hope she does.

I have a question today that I hope someone can answer. I just got a Breg polar ice system with an universal pad that wraps around the knee with Velcro straps. The directions say to put something between the pad and my knee. If you have something like this what did you use? I have an 6 inch ace wrap but I don't think it's long enough to cover my whole knee area. So bone smarties any suggestions?
 
Glad you are having a good day Marian!
Sounds like you are getting well prepared for your surgery. I was very cheap and made my ice packs using zip lock bags filled with water and rubbing alcohol. They worked very well and stayed ice-y for quite a while. I hate icing but it really works and provides relief.
Countdown begins for you, not long now. I think it will be more real for me when I have my pre-op testing and visit with OS next week.
Who will look after your dogs while you are in the hospital and recovering?

Funny how my surgery is just weeks away and my knee is giving out on me. Getting it done right on schedule, my knee has had it!
 
I just put the ice cuff over my pajama pants. I could still feel the ice. Funny how we react to going to the dr. I'm seeing a foot specialist Thursday for my heel pain. I just know I'll get scolded for waiting so long to see a specialist. I just don't think I can do surgery on my foot.
 
I also used a tea towel between the cuff and my knee...it was thin enough to let the cold through, yet protected my skin. I'm not sure what your machine is like. Mine is a square shape and I would place four frozen water bottles inside along with ice water...this kept the water cold for hours.
 
@Glamg1979 My friend comes and stays with my dogs whenever I'm away. I'm lucky that she is available since boarding 3 dogs is very expensive and anytime I have done that at least one has come home sick.

I went to my PCP today for my pre op up clearance. I had to re do my chest X-ray because it showed an opacity or artifact in the bottom of one lung. The group has an X-ray department on premises so it was done immediately. My doctor said my lungs sound fine to him. He also never received my EKG report which I know was normal. Once he gets them he will sign the form and clear me.

My oldest daughter had a spinal tap today to find out which form of MS she has. She was able to have it done under conscious sedation so she didn't have to experience the pain. I'm not sure how long it will take for the results to come back.
 
They are painful, I'm glad she was able to be sedated.
 
The conscious sedation worked well for my daughter. She did wind up with a bad headache which is common after a spinal tap. She told me her back was hurting her today too. On top of it she's been fighting off a bad cold. She saw a neurosurgeon today and she will have to have other tests done including another MRI, special eye testing and a trip to the urologist. Neurosurgeon is holding off on any meds for her for three months while she is doing fertility treatments. I feel so bad complaining about having bad knees with what she is facing. She'll be 32 on the 21st which is the day I'm having my surgery. We are all going out on the 20th for her birthday. I as all my friends here to keep her in your prayers and positive thoughts and wishes. I'm in tears Just thinking about it.
 
Definitely praying for your daughter. Can I ask what her name is?
 
@KarriB Her name is Kristen. She was not named after any family member. I just loved the name and I always told her it was spelled with an 'ten' because she is a ten in my book.
 
So hard when someone we love is dealing with a serious illness and as a parent there isn't anything we can do to make it 'better'. Both you and Kristen will be in my prayers.
 
You and your daughter will be on my prayers!! I need to go farther back in your thread, trying to figure out why you are having a revision and why a different surgeon!! It all stinks, there is a possibility I may be looking at a revision myself, ugh!! Again you are on my prayers!! Good luck!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@PDA I'm sorry that you might also need a revision. It's not something anyone looks forward to. My knee cap is tracking badly on the outer side of the knee and the only way to fix it is to re do the whole thing. My original OS told me nothing was wrong. I had increasing pain, swelling and I was losing ROM. It has made it very difficult for me to work. I would suggest you find an OS who does a lot of revisions and have him check your knee. Hopefully you might have a different solution to your problems.

Thanks all for your prayers. I'm home from work (10 hours and very busy). That's 2 in a row and another one on tap for tomorrow. I barely made it into my house. I'm getting closer to my surgery date. I'm still have such mixed feelings. One minute I'm al ready to have it because I know I'll be better. The next minute I'm thinking what if it is even worse after the surgery. I'm definitely frightened of how much pain I had and my inability to take pain meds at just a little more than 2 weeks. Part of that was my old OS not helping me find one to work and to prescribe something for nausea. My new OS promised me a much better experience this time. So then I feel ready.

10 days to go!
 
I think you're going to be so surprised and pleased with your new OS. Rest and elevate tonight :ice:.
 
I'm so happy to be home from work. A 11 hour day today and three in a row with a 6am start and I am not a morning person at all. Both knees and legs are unhappy with me right now. My TKR knee is having very sharp pains and burning and lots of swelling. The rest of that leg just aches. My old knee is just very achy and very tired of being the one to keep it together. I have only 4 more days to work before I'm out on leave for my surgery on the 21st. :scare:

My daughter has had a post spinal tap headache for several days now as well as a head cold. She also was injured getting an IV put in for it. She was told that the needle hit a nerve and that she will feel better 'soon'. She told me that she has shooting pains from her hands to her elbows and wasn't able to pick up her small dog. I've been starting IVs for over 20 years and I have never encountered this problem before. She just feels like she can't catch a break and is starting to feel down. I can't blame her. I need my knee ready for action so I can better be able to help her when she needs it. Even if it's to just meet for lunch on occasion. Whatever she needs I will be there.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom