Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

Marion, I feel for you and will be thinking of you on Monday and praying for you. I can't imagine you're bravery when you can't take pain meds. My right knee surgery was just after yours and I am still having problems, hopefully not serious, I will look out for your post op posts.
 
Hi Marian, Hoping you can find some moments of peace this weekend. I know it sounds like a simple thing , but have you tried listening to some music that you like? That always helps me when things are overwhelming me. Your family sounds very supportive , that will be a big help in your recovery. Try not to go over all the past problems in your head, that's what makes us crazy. The day of surgery will come and go, and you will have s brand new, good knee in there. Sounds like your new OS will try to keep you as comfortable as possible after surgery too. Thank goodness for ice. I know being sensitive to meds can be a curse sometimes, hopefully they will be able to give you something that works well for you this time.
 
You mentioned nausea which reminded me of when they were wheeling me to my room after the original TKR. I was laying flat, watching the ceiling tiles go by when I got nauseous and said so out loud. They stopped and got me a little tub, but I told them I thought it was just my motion sickness kicking in. They sat me up and I was fine! Toradol in my IV helped when I couldn't get over the pain hump. Would you get sick from something in your iv?
 
@KarriB Unfortunately even IV pain meds make me sick. I know the patches worked very well for my motion sickness which I have very badly so I'm thinking it will be what I need for this. Zofran IV has worked in the past for any type of nausea too. I had a surgery many years ago that makes it impossible for anything 'to come back up' so I am miserable for hours until my stomach is finally empty. I lost 14lbs in three weeks with my TKR.
 
Sending you every good wish and all the luck in the world for a successful revision. Will be following your recovery with interest. You've got this!
 
Hope all goes well with the revision. Will follow your progress with interest.
 
Hope everything is smooth sailing and your new knee gives you your life back. Thinking of you on Monday and sending well wishes your way. Kim
 
@newlybionic - Marian - all narcotics make me as sick as a dog, so I've learned to always ask for anti-emetic drugs to be prescribed and given routinely with my pain medications. Zofran, IV initially and orally later, worked well for me. I had to continue taking it orally with my meds for at least a month, but at least the mixture kept my pain under control. I hope that you can find a solution that works well for you.
 
@Celle I tried to get my old OS to prescribe an anti emetic last time and he flat out refused! My PCP wouldn't prescribe anything either unless I waited to get an appointment and then drove the 15 miles each way to see him. I will NOT leave the hospital without something to help me this time.
 
For goodness sake! You should have puked on him! LOL

Since your previous OS was a jerk, your new OS may be more understanding. Be sure you tell your anaesthetist about your propensity to vomit, too.

My own GP (PCP) is very understanding about my need for anti-emetics, since he once had to do a home visit to give me an injection to stop me vomiting after another operation. He has it in my records that codeine and all narcotics cause me to vomit.
 
@newlybionic I have the same issues with narcotic pain relief. I only have one type I can take, and that one does me in after a week or so on it. I am horribly ill with non-stop vomiting as it seems to build up in my system over time. After my TKR, I had a horrible bout with vomiting, ended up in the ER, they gave me anti-nausea meds, which caused me to not be able to breathe properly. Back to the ER for something to combat my breathing problems, and whatever they gave me did something to my jaw to cause it to lock sideways. Another med to combat that, and a new prescription for anti-nausea meds. I now have a new group of meds on my chart that I can't take. That list is quite long while the list of what I can take is almost empty....lol. But the anti-nausea med I got did help some. I still have reactions to the pain medicine, but I take the anti-nausea with every pain pill. Not a perfect solution, but my body is terrible with any oral medicine so I have to take what works the best. They also throw every anti-nausea med at me before every surgery as I come out of surgery tossing my cookies horribly if they don't. I wish you luck and hope they can make sure you are all set before you go home.
 
I always tell my surgeons about my problems with horrible nausea and the inability to vomit. I demand medication IV for anytime I'm put under for anything at all. One doctor told me I wouldn't need it for a colonoscopy but I told him I wanted it any way. He never gave it to me so I was sick all day in the ladies room trying to vomit. It's truly horirible. I never really ever take any strong pain meds at all. Some Tylenol or ibuprofen is about it. I try to avoid NSAIDs too. My GI doctor has me taking extra meds when I have to take aspirin after surgery.
 
Thinking about you. I think all will go well Monday and it will be a relief to have it over. I had to take an anti-nausea drug, vistral, with every dose of oxy. In a few weeks you will be feeling better than you do now. Good luck!
 
What can you take after the TKR? Motrin isn't working for the pain I have right now, so I can't imagine it would work for you after the surgery.
 
@lovetocookandsew I'm hopeful that I will be able to take something as long as I can take something for nausea at these events time. I have never tried morphine. I know Vicodin makes me sick and percocets do too after a few days. I've also tried Nucynta which worked for a while until the nausea caught up with me. My new OS has told me this recovery will be totally different than the last one and I'm holding him to that! Hopefully this summer I'll be :swim::tennis::walking::kayak::surfer::fasthorse:.
 
I hope all goes better for you than you're expecting and as well as is possible!
Have you ever tried those travel sickness bands for nausea once you're back in your bed? Get them in the right place, they can work a treat.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@sleepilu I've never tried the bands but I'm going to try to get the patches that worked great for me when I took a cruise a year ago.

Thanks for every one's prayers and wishes. It's less than 24 hours now and I'm getting ready to go out and spend the day with my family for my oldest birthday. Next time I post it will finally be all over. I'm still very anxious about it but I can't live with things the way my knee is right now. I have lots more I want to do with my life.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom