Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

I'm home for the weekend and I'm going to hibernate from the cold. Temps will be in the negatives and it's currently snowing out now. My knees are both sore now. My one knee has been doing double duty since July and it's starting to complain. I'll find out on the 24th when I will have my revision. I'm very ready at this point.
 
We are supposed to have the same cold spell in New England. The NOAA Weather site says, "
LIFE THREATENING WIND CHILLS AND STRONG WIND GUSTS...WIND CHILL READINGS BETWEEN 20 AND 35 BELOW ZERO." Yikes. Marian, I'm so glad you have a firm date. You can start counting down. Each day you will be closer to moving on towards a better life. You are so strong. You've proved that. It's way past time to get back to normal however. Stay warm!
 
Hopefully you won't have to wait too long for a surgery date. Very cold here in Pittsburgh also, so pretty sure I'll be hunkering down. Cleaning and cooking on the schedule for today.
 
I hope you have a good weekend of resting, Marian, and can stay snuggled up and warm.
 
Happy Valentine's Day to everyone! It's a balmy 4 degrees here in northeast PA. I'm enjoying my weekend of rest. I have a little more than a week until my OS visit. I have so many questions to ask about the revision. I've got to write them all down. My major concern is that I'll be worse than I am now. It's now 7 months after my original TKR and I am always feel pain and tightness in my knee. Before the TKR I had no pain when I was sitting or lying down. I'm just afraid I'll be even worse after the revision. I just can't shake that fear. I had a terrible recovery in the beginning because of not having pain meds after 2 weeks because my OS wouldn't prescribe something different because it made me so sick. The fear is even worse than going to have the original surgery.
 
My major concern is that I'll be worse than I am now.
You now have a competent surgeon, whom you trust. He's going to fix your knee and remedy the mistakes that were made before. There's every reason to hope that the revision will be a success.

I'm glad you're writing down all your questions and I hope that you'll be reassured after your OS visit.
 
My major concern is that I'll be worse than I am now. It's now 7 months after my original TKR and I am always feel pain and tightness in my knee. Before the TKR I had no pain when I was sitting or lying down. I'm just afraid I'll be even worse after the revision. I just can't shake that fear. I had a terrible recovery in the beginning because of not having pain meds after 2 weeks because my OS wouldn't prescribe something different because it made me so sick. The fear is even worse than going to have the original surgery.
If I were in your shoes, I would have the same fears and concerns. I think being brutally honest with your new OS about those fears and concerns is the best course to take. When I feel as if I made a mistake having my TKR my husband says you had a choice between two bad options. And he's right. Hang in there. What you are going through is very difficult.
 
Hey Marian,
I totally agree with Celle and Wantobebiking. You FINAllY have an OS that you trust. Be upfront with him about your concerns and by all means go over your records as you know them. I'm betting he will respect your medical training. While drs generally stick together, you can certainly make your case based on your personal and professional knowledge without "blaming" the first OS. No need to go there, the new OS gets the picture.
I know you are anxious for a revision date. I expect you to do wonderfully with this new OS. Tell him we are all counting on him! :yes:
 
Is it possible that one of your questions might be about pain meds for now and post-revision? It would be good to have something to help you wait it out while you have to work. IMHO, 2 weeks is a ridiculous cut-off and your new OS may have better options to discuss.
 
@Thesoutherncook My new OS doesn't think much of my old OS and has told me he was warned about him moving into my area by another OS. He was fired from his last group! Too bad you can't find that info online. The new OS told me to forget about him and we would go on from here to take care of my problems. He promised me he never discounts what a patient tells him.

@hawk2go That is one area I need to have a long discussion about. Maybe I'm just a baby but I can't stop taking ALL pain meds 2 weeks post op like last time. My old OS wouldn't work with me to try other meds or give me something for nausea. I don't wish pain on someone but... ( karma).
 
Maybe I'm just a baby but I can't stop taking ALL pain meds 2 weeks post op like last time
Then this forum is full of babies! :skep::shrug:

As the experts here with bionic knees have expressed, you need to manage the pain to heal. period. end of story.
 
It's been over seven months since my TKR and I feel like I continue to get worse day by day. The waiting for my OS visit is even slower than waiting for the original surgery. At least before surgery if I was sitting or lying my knee didn't hurt but now it is complaining louder every day. My other knee also is not very happy with me right now too. I am having a lot more problems trying to stand up from my chair or get out of my car with the seat all the way back. The bathroom is beginning to cause problems also even with a walkin shower that I only have to pick up my foot four inches. I was able to do all those things a few weeks after surgery but it's harder now. When I hurt my knee a few weeks ago the doctor gave me a few percocets that I've saved to use at night so I can get some sleep so I can get up for work. I just read about how everyone keeps progressing and I'm going backward. It would have been much better for me if my original OS recognized the problem and did something about it sooner. Instead I was just basically ignored or told my knee was ok. I hope I won't have to wait a long time before I can get my revision. I spoke to my boss about it and he has really been great. My one concern is whether I can get any short term disability payments. I'm not sure if this is considered a pre-existing condition. Without that money I'll will be forced to go back to work asap to pay my bills. I do at least have good medical insurance this time around. I figured my out of pocket medical expenses were roughly 17,000 last year. And what did I get for it? Maybe I can sell the old implant of Amazon? Anyone looking for a slightly used Smith and Nephew Oxium implant? Very few miles and only owned by a little old lady!:phone:
 
:sad: Hang in there Marian. This is very wearing on you and it's only natural that you feel so discouraged.
And look--you are able to still crack jokes. My husband who teaches psychology showed me some research about making yourself feel better. The basic idea is to smile and even laugh, even if you don't feel like it. Making the expressions is enough to get the endorphins going. I'd say, toss in some chocolate and maybe treat yourself to a mani/pedi or a good massage. It's time for some self-TLC!!:bath::martini::cool:
 
Oh, Marian, I too am hoping you don't have to wait long for the revision surgery. I'm do very sorry to hear of your pain, but at least your boss is understanding.
 
I am with @jarabas - bring on the chocolate! Marian, you are a strong woman and you will get through this. I am gonna pray you through it! Look how far you have come and the pain you have overcome. Your new surgeon WILL repair this knee and you ARE going to be without pain. We just have to believe it - that is what will keep you going.

How is your daughter?
 
Marian, my heart goes out to you. I know you can't wait until the 24th. I pray you have a very successful appointment and quick revision surgery.
 
My husband who teaches psychology showed me some research about making yourself feel better. The basic idea is to smile and even laugh, even if you don't feel like it. Making the expressions is enough to get the endorphins going.
It's a good policy, sometimes described it as "Fake it till you make it."

Marian I know how wearying it must be, just waiting to get your knee fixed right. Hang in there. Your time will come and this time things are going to be much better. :prayer: :fingersx: :fingersx:
 
@Timetolive My oldest daughter is in very good spirits. My sister and are are meeting her and her husband Saturday for dinner. She is having a problem finding a doctor the specializes in MS in her area that her insurance will pay for. Since she really doesn't need treatment right now she plans on trying some fertility treatments and hopefully have my first grandchild. I'll be ready to play with him or her when they arrive on the scene. How is your new little beagle doing? One of my dogs was not food driven at all but she would do anything for the smallest little sliver of a potato chip! Not the best for her but whever she hears that crinkle of the bag she comes running even though both her little knee caps in her hind legs badly track. She has a set of stairs to get up on the couch.
 
Marian, Charlie is settling in. Still having some leash problems, but he has become a real lapdog for my husband. I will have to try the potato chips! If he likes them, then he will be right at home - they are my one BIG weakness.

I do hope your daughter can find a doctor she likes and feels comfortable with. When I was going through the diagnosis exploration, my husband and I attended a seminar presented by one of the drug companies. It was very informative. Perhaps she can look into that.
 
She is having a problem finding a doctor the specializes in MS in her area that her insurance will pay for.

When I was going through the diagnosis exploration
One charity ride that I take part in is for MS---we ride 150 miles in two days. I have numerous former colleagues as well as many former students with MS, and we ride to bring an end to the disease.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom