Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

I'm so sorry that you're having these pains! Can you call the new OS's office Monday and remind them that you would dearly appreciate being squeezed in sooner than your scheduled appointment?
 
How about getting some treatments in the meantime--an exam, meds, etc, from your GP?
I fell down my stairs a couple of times before my surgery and landed full force on my knee one of those times. My GP checked me out, decided it was soft tissue injury and ordered a prescription for the pain. I was pretty lame and for about three weeks and then it got better relatively quickly. I know we can have very different knee reactions, but maybe you can get some help from your regular doc as I did?
 
It was good, but due to unforeseen circumstances has to change our plans a bit. My first time in NYC, so now I know it isn't a bad drive and the best ways into the city etc. The taxi drivers are VERY scary, both personally and as drivers!
 
@Clipless I remind my OS office almost every other day about trying to move up my appointment and I'm on their cancellation list.

@jarabas I went to an urgent care center last Monday because I couldn't get an appt with my GP for a couple of days. He felt it was a soft tissue injury too. I was given pain meds and told to use an immobilizer and to use crutches. I can't keep doing that at work though because of my job. I don't have much time off because I'm new there and I need the money.

I Am still having very sharp pains when I flex my knee. They are stronger than the pain that I had immediately in the post op period.
 
I didn't fall asleep until after 3 am last night and I was supposed to be at work by 6. I wound up being a half hour late. I worked until 4:30. My knee became so painful that it took me 10 minutes to get into my car because of the amount of pain involved. I came home and took a naproxen and a Percocet and fell asleep for a couple of hours.
 
I sure wish you could hurry up and get to that new OS and get that revision. What a time you are having. Please know that many are praying for you, including me!
 
Do you still have to see the OS to set a surgery date?
 
@KarriB Yes. That's the frustrating part. I can't schedule the surgery until I see him and he's been booked solid. It's a little more than two weeks until my appt. it has'nt helped that I hurt it a week ago on top of everything else. I don't know how long the wait will be for a spot on his surgical schedule either. It will help to at least have an end date. I had to wait more than two months for the original surgery.
 
Hey Marian!
Checking in on you.... And you're still in a holding pattern? Ugh! You know, when you finally do get the revision surgery, you won't even feel the pain because you've already endured so much. I suspect it will be like childbirth.... You'll go through anything just to be over it! Glad you got food and are set for a while without having to worry about that. I was ready to ship casseroles to you! Big hug! Love and prayers coming your way!
 
Well, good news is seems you've made up your mind to have the surgery asap. Now to actually have it happen asap.
 
I went to pick up my mail today and I finally have the records from my old OS. There are a number of entries that I have to question and I'm wondering if they have been altered. He posted entries that every time I went back to see him that my new knee was ok. I had an ultrasound for DVT which I did and that I had another ultrasound which I did not. There are no charges to my insurance for the second one. He also stated my flexion was 125. I never got to that point in PT and he never touched my knee never mind measure it. I showed him once how far I could bend it and said I had gotten to 120 and he told me it was much less than that. He also said he called me to discuss the ultrasound findings and what to do afterwards. He did neither. I chased after him until I got a one word answer about ultrasound consisting on 'normal'. :censored:

The scariest thing I found was the following. They have a MRI machine on premises. I had a MRI of my left (TKR) a couple of years ago before I had a arthroscopy. I also had a MRI of my right knee done just this past November. Believe it or not I have a report comparing the two MRIs saying there was only minimal changes!!!! You would think a doctor would notice this since but no. It even says on the bottom of the report that they were looking at that old MRI.:hissy: I can't believe how scary this is. You can't tell you're looking at two different knees!! :tantrum:

As far as the operative report I have some things I don't understand yet but what did stand out to me that he described my flexion and extension as adequate. What I'm wondering shouldn't he had done some measurements? If you have your report does your surgeon include this? I'm just totally in shock.
 
I'm sorry your old records are such a mess. It would not surprise me if the records were altered and maybe that's why it took so long to get them. Doctors and hospitals do a good job at covering their tails. It's a good thing you are moving on to a new OS and facility. My operative report did have measurements on it. I was at 126/0 upon completion.
 
A friend who had an infection also had altered records from her original OS. So disappointing.
 
How disappointing that someone we put so much trust in would do things like this.
 
Don't you hate records like that! You might want to request a copy of your records that you have at the hospital that did your surgery. There should be more detail with the other reports/writers on your procedure and recovery...That is scary with the MRI's.
 
I wonder what your new OS will have to say about this? Hopefully he will be truthful and tell you what concerns him, and what his goals are for your surgery. I think it is much better for our emotional health and trust to have this sort of relationship of frankness and openness.
 
Checking in with you to say hello and find out how you are doing? We just got internet installed today and didn't post much from phone because it would eat up my data.
Glad your children have you set with food, that was really very nice. You did something right when you raised them!!
Very sad about the discrepancies on your medical records and also very scary! Really makes one nervous because we give our OS's our complete trust. I pray that once your new OS exams your knee and listens to you he will put you in as an add on surgical case soon and get you some relief.
Will have to go look at my operative report and see if my flexion and extension were stated.
 
Marian, @newlybionic - it could be that your previous surgeon is one who doesn't update your records immediately, but goes back later and forgets what actually happened. I've seen that happen a few times.
Make a note of the discrepancies, list them, and explain to the new surgeon where and why you disagree with what is written. The new OS will easily be able to see the difference in the MRIs.
I do hope you see the new guy before your knee gives you any more strife, and that you get a surgery date quite soon.

PS - and totally off-topic!- that is one scary little dog in your new avatar. That's the expression on my sis-in-law's chihuahua's face just before it bit my granddaughter, who was stroking it.
 
@Celle I was so upset with what I read in my records in just the first 5 minutes of skimming through them that I put them down for now. I will definitely go back and prepare a list of everything that is incorrect or just a plain falsification. As a nurse I've read through doctor's notes before that were poorly done but I was just very angry at both the lies and ridiculous entries within the record. My new OS was told about this surgeon moving into my area and the fact that he wasn't very good. It is indeed unfortunate that even if I reported him to the medical board that the doctors looking into the case would never do anything save him killing someone.

My little dog is a Jack Russell Pug mix. She is one of three little dogs I have and the only thing frightening about her in real life is the amount of shedding she does! I'll have to try to get a better picture of her.
 
I'm sure she's s sweet little dog, Marian - just not showing her best side in that photo. Shedding? We had a golden retriever for 13 years. Two years after she died, I was still finding her hairs in seldom-used places. Now I have cats and the grey one sheds so much, it's a wonder there's any cat left in the spring and autumn. LOL
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom