Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

@Celle My daughter is a bit calmer today. I think from talking to me with my background and also calling one of her friends who is an emergency room PA she knows that she definitely would need further testing to decide on that diagnosis.

@Wanttobebiking I will see the chiropractor tomorrow afternoon and I'll let you know what she thinks. My knee and leg was hurting before I started to work and has gotten much worse since I started a month ago. I was back at OS after the first 2 weeks and he offered no help or answers. I was really frustrated because no matter what I asked I was basically ignored.

@Glamg1979 I try to think about this chiropractor my daughter saw as a new resident at a hospital. They think they know everything. There not even smart enough to know what they don't know. I worked nights at one time and we taught many a new resident how to act towards nurses and patients by calling them every half hour for some simple questions like Ms Jones woke up and has a headache and I don't know what I should do.
 
I'm sitting here in the Pocono Mountains of PA watching and singing along with Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. It first was broadcast in 1964 and I was 10 years old the first time I saw it. I remember sitting with my my family then and later with my three little girls. It's just a nice memory for me. I wonder where all my new Bonesmart friends were the first time they saw it?
 
Yep an old favorite. "We are Santa's elves..."
 
I'm glad you're daughter is calm and not worrying too much.
 
I am sorry, but a chiropractor is NOT a doctor. As my cousin's husband, who is a well respected nuero surgeon said--they are good at what they do (manipulation) but, they are certainly NOT diagnosticians!! I had one that saved my life when I wasn't responding to medical options for a bad back--she got me back to being pain free; however, the same chiropractor told me that my neck was on "backwards" and that if I didn't come in 5 days a week for the next 3 months I wouldn't be able to turn my neck within a year. I didn't go in; it is 10 yrs. later and my neck moves just fine.
 
I was 4 when it came out....but I do remember watching it every year. It was one of those shows that we could picnic in the living room to watch when we were kids:)

Chiropractors are doctors similar to non-medical "doctors" in other allied health care professions like optometry, podiatry, dentistry and psychology. Mine is with a Pain practice and works with the MD's and DO's.
 
Chiropractors have a very thorough training in anatomy, anatomical function and things that impinge on that function. That includes a knowledge of bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments and nerves and the way they function.
They don't just do manipulation, but perform massage and other methods of helping reduce symptoms of muscle and tendon tightness and inflammation.

Of course a chiropractor is not qualified to diagnose MS, but in the course of his practice he may have come across someone with similar symptoms to Marian's daughter, who later turned out to have MS - and consequently he may have suggested MS as one of the possible causes of her symptoms.
 
@Celle I'm wondering if the training chiropractors have differ from country to country? I went to one many years ago and all they did was manipulate my back. I eventually got tired of going and the expense and I was fine. I've gone with my ex-husband a long time ago and for both of us the first visit was a video to watch. It was almost like you were joining a cult. You came in and out in five minutes. Just a thought. It seems most of the US TKRs haven't been exposed to them for massage of any type.
 
I am not dumping on chiroprators (obviously I have benefited from one--with my neuro surgeon's blessing) and I realize that chiroprators do more than just manipulation. I was just using that as an exampleof what they are trained to do as opposed to doing diagnosis--which they are not trained to do. Yes, he may have had a patient that had simular problems that had MS, but I am horrified that he would tell this young woman that he thought that has her problem rather than just encouraging her to go to an MD to have her problems checked out. As to "non medical" doctors, technically anyone with a doctorate degree in any subject has the right to call himself "doctor" but I sure wouldn't want most of them in control of my health--I have enough problems with the DO's and MD's.:rotfl:
 
Well, Marian, I don't know. I live in New Zealand, but my chiropractor is an American, trained in the US. What can I say?

I have spinal arthritis which caused me intense pain in my neck and left shoulder about five years ago. I had X-Rays and saw a surgeon, who advised conservative treatment. I went to PT for about 3 months, with no improvement whatsoever. I couldn't turn my head to the left at all and, consequently, I couldn't drive. My pain was sky-high.
After about 2 months of massage by my chiropractor (and no manipulation, because I wouldn't let anyone manipulate my neck) my pain was gone and I could turn my head fully.

Two years ago, I developed sciatica, again with severe pain. I had to take Tramadol to control it and I could hardly walk. X-Rays showed that my L5 disc had slipped forward about 20% on my SI, thereby narrowing the nerves' outlet. After a series of treatments by my chiro, during which he first massaged my back and then did some minor manipulation of my hip (not my spine) I again improved. Since then (fingers crossed!) my sciatica hasn't returned.

My chiro does have charts of the skeleton, the muscles, tendons, ligaments and nerves around the walls of his surgery, and he shows me on those what he is doing and what he hopes to achieve. He doesn't start treatment until he has seen the X-rays, so he knows what he is dealing with.

I've never been asked to watch any videos and my chiro certainly treats things other than the spine. He was recommended to me by my regular doctor, who told me that he and several of his colleagues also used this chiro's services.
 
There's an interesting article here that discusses the training a chiropractor must go through.
broken link removed: https://www.spineguys.com/why_chiropractic/education.asp
 
@Celle He must be a very special person since your doctor recommended him. In my experience ( which has been somewhat limited in the area) most doctors in the US want nothing to do with chiropractors. I choose the one I'm going to because she is associated with OS office and their PT. I assuming she'll be able to help me. Time will tell. Thanks for your answers. This is all a learning experience for me.
 
I think there used to be a lot of prejudice against chiropractors - that was my impression in my early days as a nurse - but it seems to be fading now.
Let's ask @Josephine what she thinks.
 
I know that most Pain Management practices have them on staff. I do billing for a few offices and more and more insurances are covering their services.
 
@PegGar16 My insurance will cover a certain number of visits. It did about 8 years ago too. The only thing offered to me then was spinal manipulation after X-rays. I already had pain in both knees and my back. I had to adamantly tell them not to do anything with my neck as she even hurt me trying it once.
 
I am touchy about my neck...even with massages. Mostly I go for acupuncture. It really does seem to help my tendinitis. I was skeptical at first but gave it a chance. It took a couple of visits to really start feeling the effects for me. I hope it works out for you:)
 
I can tell you of a time when surgeons were looked down upon and dismissed by the medical fraternity! Back in 1850 or thereabouts, when the Royal College was for physicians only, surgeons were treated as the scum of the earth and not permitted to have a College much less a Royal one! This was because the art of surgery had been pushed forward by the barber surgeons who got recognition of sorts in the navy because they had to deal with everything that came their way. Few barber surgeons had any kind of formal training but they trained themselves. By contrast, physicians didn't have much of a training either and few of them ever even laid hands on their patients, depending upon things like smelling and even tasting the patients' urine to make a diagnosis!

As a result of all this, in the UK, surgeons are still called 'Mr' in deference to the time when they weren't allowed to call themselves doctor! Things change very slowly in medicine and I guarantee that it will be another 15 or 30 years before chiropractors are accepted.
 
"Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed. In the second, it is opposed. In the third, it is regarded as self evident.”– Arthur Schopenhauer
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom