THR Toddlermom - one down!!

Day 30...... Well, I survived the 6 day tournament! I wasn't sure I could do it...but we made it. Now for spring break. I had considered going to my parents, but I have no idea how I will handle the 4 1/2 hour drive. Hubby is excited to see the kids tomorrow.

So some general ???:
1. Driving: what tips do folks have for extended driving? I have family members who can periodically help, but it requires 45 minutes each way. I did it on Friday, but it was a stretch....and it wiped out the next 24 hours.
2. Post-op Blues- I am pretty sure that I am arriving here. Not sure if I just wait it out? I have a fantasy to go hide out at a beach house alone.....recovering. Sigh.....
3. Muscle atrophy: My tush is SOOOO tired of me laying down. I feel like my abs and glutes are losing their strength. I know that I need to be gentle with my body, but These parts of my body are used to so much more activity. What are the consequences to so much rest? The muscles just feel disengaged in my abs and almost itchy in the tush.
 
5 weeks today!!! And I have been doing full time Mommy duty for spring break. I considered a trip to my parents for help...but I was more nervous about the travel and driving. Only 2 days solo left!!!
 
Today I dabbled with a bit of gardening.....or a bit of Tom Saywer gardening??? This was NOT the level of gardening that I was able to do 2 years ago, but baby steps!

I sat on a stool with my two mini helpers and a couple of big pots, petunias, and tiny trowels. They dug and scooped. Eventually, we had a couple of pots of mangled petunias. We looked at bugs, pulled a few 'yucky weeds', and enjoyed being in the sunshine. Hopefully the flowers will survive. If not, oh well. It was $5 of fun, and I will be stiff tonight....only 1 more day of spring break left to fill.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Miss Muffet It's called hanging on by a thread some days.....otherwise known as LIFE! By the end of the day, I am wiped out. I took 2 Tramadol last night one at 8 & 11 and STILL couldn't sleep at night. So it isn't effortless! Hubby is at home tonight so I am in bed by 7:30 (and the sun is still up).
 
6 weeks & Easter weekend. I have reached a strange point in my recovery. I can do many regular things....for shorter periods of time. But others can overestimate my endurance, and I need to do a better job at communicating those limits. Fun activities, but I don't always know my limits....until I have exceeded them.

My parents came into town for the first day since 10 days post-op. my mom wanted to take me shopping for the kids, and it was simply too much. 2+ hours of shopping and then it was time for lunch to prevent the kids from melting down!!! By the time we completed the 20 minute ride home, I was VERY uncomfortable. It was over 3 hours of activity, and I spent the rest of the day in bed. She kept adding, 'just one more thing' to the trip. Only a few hours later, my mom wanted to take everyone to out to dinner. My response was 'No way', I am not doing THAT much for a while. So they took the kids to dinner without me....ugh.

Saturday was the church Eggstravaganza. A flurry of morning preparation activities, and a 2 hours of games and egg hunting on GRASS. For those who are reading to gain valuable knowledge: DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE GRASS!! We brought comfortable lawn chairs, but the kids were far too excited to stay in one place. Normally, I would have only stayed an hour. But hubby was the MC, and the kids didn't want to leave him....so we were there the full 2 hours. And wiped out-whew! In bed again.

We had a very low key Easter, and I have got to take it easy! I have a call into the doctor to get a refill on my tramadol. The Tylenol just isn't enough at night.
 
It is so easy to think " I should be able to do x, y or z". Only to realize a few hours later.....oops that was a mistake! I keep doing that too!

Sounds like you had a nice time with family though! Hang in there!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
@Toddlermom Its hard not to want to get on with activities. Atleast you knew you had to be in bed after all of the fun activities. Hang in there.
 
@jomarie58 I keep this dialogue going........'I will stay another 15-20 minutes.' Or someone says 'why don't we wrap up ONE more thing'. And I realize 45 minutes have passed....

@Miss Muffet I usually don't realize it until 3 or 4 pm. And then it hits me! Last night I fidgeted for almost 3 hours. It isn't 'pain' like pre-surgical pain.....just very unsettled and like you can't quite find a comfortable spot.

@SweetPea69 I keep reminding myself....rest, rest, rest!
 
Isn't one of the mantras - if it won't die if you don't do it, don't do it (or words to that effect)?
Particularly hard in your position as a loving mother (and someone who sounds to be a pleaser) but unfortunately until they invent a trendy painometer headband that flashes out to let everyone know that we are actually hurting quite badly I suppose we'll just have to speak out and say the magic word. Pain is exhausting isn't it. I hope you can pace things now you've had that hard lesson. Be good to yourself!
(PS - just off to patent the Acme Pain-Ometer ..... Hope no one pinches my idea.
Watch out for it on Amazon everyone :wave:)
 
7 weeks- and I have been completing more regular life items. Saw a show, wrote a grant, and held some meetings. Although it feels good, I secretly want to go hide somewhere and sleep for 3 days. Or a week! No kids, no family.....just me and House of Cards on Netflix. The world is amazed at 'how well you look!' .......but I am utterly worn out. Maybe that is a general mommy fantasy, lol!

Once you emerge from the protected bubble, it feels like the world is ready to embrace you and push you back into activities. I am starting to wonder....will I ever feel rested again? Surely this exhausted feeling will pass. Not any pain in the new joint, and that is joyful. It is so overwhelming to feel this tired. Maybe it is the 2nd hip? It isn't bone-on-bone, so it is only painful when it catches. (Frequently, but managing) I understand that I am changing diapers, lifting kids into car seats, and picking toys off the floor. Not usual activities for hip replacement patients. I am in awe of those who return to work at 6-8 weeks. Although I could rise to that expectation, I am grateful that I don't have to yet.

Seeing the doctor's assistant on Wednesday, and I should set a date for June for hip #2. There is the possibility of a full time job for me in the fall, and I don't want to have this other hip lingering over me. Totally not ready to start over, but if I am destined to have it done.....I want to feel normal again. SOONER. When will all this settle down and the energy drain disappear? I need a little courage to book it. Life is so tiring with one hip....what will it look like with 2? Hubby will support the decision, but my mom thinks that I am insane to do it this year. And even more insane that I would chose to do them only 5 months apart. This decision impacts everyone else's lives too......and I want to make the right one.
 
@Toddlermom - oh just HOW much am I in awe of you? :angel:
You're coping so well but that sheer exhaustion must be so draining. Have you got any help at all now? Completely understand your frustration. Big English hug from me to you :friends:
 

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom