THR Toddlermom - one down!!

Ok.......the doctor blew my mind today. :rolleyes: At my 2 week appointment, I spoke with the physician's assistant and she mentioned the next surgery as early as March 24th.

Today, I asked specifically to talk to the doctor about a schedule for hip #2 in June. We went over the progress on hip #1 (so much additional detail about recovery in younger patients to share later)....AND I was ready to schedule a date.....and he stopped me. He said that It appears that I have anywhere between 2-5 years on hip #2.:holysheep: What?!?!? (Time slows down for a brief moment as I try to sort out EXACTLY what he is saying)

This is good news, I know! :wow: I had completely planned on a 2nd surgery this year....in my head. He originally told me that 'they will both need replacing, and let's start with the left one.' ....it was Nov 2015, and he didn't discuss a detailed timeline for #2, only that it WILL also need to be replaced.

I am not completely sure how I feel about it.:chinstroke:
1. Grateful that my kids will be older the next time around. :egypdance:(Hopefully both in school)
2. Happy that I will be able to plan a 15th wedding anniversary trip instead of week 3 of recovery again. :loveshwr:
3. Excited that we will be able to move into a 1 story house before the next surgery. :yes!:
4. At the same time, the future procedure hangs around....to think about. To worry about! :flabber:
5. But 2+ years of technological ortho advancement too....so I can hopefully replace it only once!

I do have daily pinching, catching, and getting stuck in hip #2....so there WILL be a hip replacement at some point. It does have dysplasia, so structurally the question is 'when' rather than 'if'. However, the pain doesn't currently happen during regular walking motion....only in 2 specific places in rotation...so it occurs 10+ times a day (while swinging it out of a chair or propping it up on a stool).

He thinks that the new joint's strength will improve my discomfort in hip#2...... as the new joint becomes stronger and 'pulls its own weight'. And he agreed that I could use some physical therapy to help manage tasks like lifting children, getting on the floor, etc.

:wowspring::wowspring:

Trying to adjust my brain.......after 6 months of mental preparation. So I am completing my recovery this summer.....and not starting over in 8 weeks.
 
I guess in many ways this is good news. Must be hard to sudden shift your thinking - but at least now you don't have the worry of a procedure. Get on with planning that anniversary trip!
 
You can rides bikes this summer with your kids! Or take them to the beach and build Sand Castles or, or, or.....
There are so many possibilities. You just got the gift of a summer with your littles. Or two summers. While they are little. So awesome. Makes me want to do somersaults for you (darn those hip precautions - no somersaults for the two of us just yet.)
 
@Jaycey Such a shock! If we were talking 12-18 months, I would push to do it. If I was having pain while walking, I would push it too. The rotation pain is very sharp, but in a specific location. He was pretty insistent about holding, and he didn't hesitate at all with hip #1. And 2-3 years...this means both kids in school and life is SOOOO much easier in recovery.

@NellBell ......and the Zoo and the Children's museum!

@Zelda There is a lingering feeling. I am really ready to be finished with the hip management part of my life. It is probably an unrealistic dream, but I had imagined a time when I didn't think or plan around the next repair, med, or surgery.
 
That's understandable, @Toddlermom I want to get mine out of the way but I can't walk more than about 500 yards without my left hip reacting badly so the situation is different. On the plus side, even if you don't end up waiting 3 or 4 years, at least now you know the process and you will know when the right time is as you'll feel the balance tipping in terms of pain, movement and quality of life.
 
@Toddlermom oh my goodness steady on girl! You need some rest! I can see myself people don't see us as needy once we are able to walk without canes, we have nothing visible. If you break your leg they can see a cast for six weeks. The time it takes to Heal is lengthy.
I would say go for your second surgery! You know you can do it! Then this time next year it will all be over :yay:
Time spent with your kids is short, and very precious, don't waste it, make sure you are able to enjoy it!
 
@Simplieme I was ready to go ahead and do it in June, but the doctor won't do it. (And I trust this guy.). He says that I could have 2-5 years before this periodic rotation pain develops into daily walking pain. And this recovery would be SO much easier with a 5 & 7 year old!!!

Weird....because he spent a great deal of time explaining the structural challenges of bilateral dysplasia when we first met. I had no idea that this 2nd hip was also problematic because it isn't very painfull I think he was trying to prepare me for a 2nd surgery in the future....and I understood it as a sequential plan. Not sure why the PA would offer to book a 2nd surgery but......
 
You have to go with the trust...it is part of why you picked the surgeon, right? Sometimes there is something thing that you see...or just feel in your process that makes things clear. Enjoy this "bonus time" in between that you have been surprised with.:yahoo:
 
@gullimac This doctor was recommended by a physical therapist who works with my husband....so a sports medicine guy. Now that it is settling down in my head, I am getting excited! :egypdance:

@Miss Muffet BTW....you were not bossy at all!!! And I am ready to proceed, as soon as doc says the time is right. I will be bugging him regularly so that I don't end up bone-on-bone again. Yesterday, I needed some time to let the doc's words set in. And My daughter now has the bug. It has been a lively 24 hours:dead:.


@PS46 Well my OS was very clear about the path....I see him again in 4 months and we can review the status again. Right now, no action. I may meet with him 3 times a year until it is time, lol!!!:bored:

@keepmovin This new plan means that I have some time to strengthen this new hip before starting over....and some time for some fun too. Thank you for your encouragement!:yay:
 
@Toddlermom
Reading your threads. You sure have had a rough time. Having sick children is very hard as it is with 2 healthy hips. I admire you for your stamina and patience during this difficult time.
You will know when you have to schedule your other hip. Take it day by day.
Hope you have a relaxing wkend!:flwrysmile::SUNsmile:
 
@Toddlermom - I read your relief. Funny how that has changed your perspective. The contrast will be immense - you're beginning to look forward to something which will be a breeze by comparison! I do hope your daughter gets over the bug soon too.
 
And 2-3 years...this means both kids in school and life is SOOOO much easier in recovery.
I think you have partly answered your own question about any more surgery soon. Your doing a wonderful job trying to be a great mum and recover at the same time. But I feel reading your thread that your trying to do a lot of activites more than maybe your body able to keep up with at the moment. Which is very commendable. As a mum you want to instinctively put your childrens well-being first but you must try and think of yourself as well.

I think you will know when the time is right to get your second hip done. Your hip will soon tell you when it had enough.:beg:

Just take things a day at a time. Soon you will have the strength to do a lot more. :spin:
 
Right now I worry that I will always be Mommy with the hurt leg...after a year of discussion, I am ready for it to be less important.
I so understand this. It feels like it becomes a defining factor, which isn't what we want. It's so understandable while you're in the thick of things. I'm willing to bet though that, more quickly than you'd think, your 'hurt leg' persona will become a distant memory. Sure, it happened. It's a part of your history, but it does not need to define who you are. You're already doing incredibly well. It would be interesting to fast forward a few years and hear what your future self tells your present self. :)

@Miss Muffet, I hope I've offered some hope. I figure if I can get through the two surgeries okay, just about anybody can. :flwrysmile:
 
@DeepBreath So funny. Never thought of it this way. I had a very dynamic non-profit arts career 3 years ago. I have filled that void with mommy adventures and pain management. The pain mgmt is improving (if I could only shake this exhaustion)......and I can't wait until I forget my 'robot hip'.
 
Tomorrow, I start PT.....and I am nervous! I know that I can do many things.....and 8 weeks feels a little late to get started. I can sit on my knees, gently kick a soccer ball in the grass, But it has become apparent that I have quite a bit of strengthening to do.

In the past 5 years, I have had 2 hip surgeries, 2 c-sections and almost 2 years of pregnancy, and 2 other pregnancy related pelvic procedures. Basically, my lower core is just weak, wimpy , and lumpy. The pre-surgical back pain has disappeared (yippee!) so now is the time, and I need to stabilize my pelvis. I had that pre-op tippy tummy as I was adjusting for pain....and I gotta make some progress. Wish me luck!
 
@Toddlermom
Starting at eight weeks is ok. You have had a lot on your plate. I went to PT today. I walked in stiff and left relaxed and refreshed. I made sure I controlled the session with how much I wanted to do. They used a foam roller on me and wow did that feel good!! I could have fallen asleep!! She wanted me to try some exercises and I simply said I wanted to take things slow. She was ok with that. So don't be nervous. I bet you will feel energized!!

Good luck tomorrow. You will be fine. Just make sure you ice afterwards. I brought my ice pack with me and iced while going to PT and back home.
 
@Arlene56 The OS seemed really surprised that I wanted to do any PT at all. But I need to make sure I am lifting my kids safely....and they are 35 lbs each. Makes me nervous every time I have to do it. I wonder if the 'delay' will help avoid the pains that I have seen others struggle with? Bursitis and so forth. Hmmm...
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom