THR Toddlermom - one down!!

Toddlermom - I am a Child Therapist who specializes in children (and their parents) from birth to third birthday. So I am on the floor with them and picking them up and doing all those interactive child things that you are doing. I had to convince my OS of the need for PT too. And that I didn't want to go back to work early even though I was doing well. But your not a therapist, your a Mom. You are right in the middle of it without the luxury of time off. PT is not 'just' about lifting your kids safely - it is a time to get to know your new post-baby & new hip body. Enjoy it, schedule every session your insurance will pay for. And congrats on getting to week eight.
 
Tomorrow, I start PT.....and I am nervous! 8 weeks feels a little late to get started.
This is just my input, @Toddlermom; I think giving your body the time it needs to heal from the trauma of surgery is essential. My first op hip was 12 weeks old and my newer one 4 weeks when I started out patient PT. My first op hip responded so much more easily than the newer op hip. I have wished since then that I had given my newer hip a bit more time before starting PT. It is what it is though and you have many things going for you.
You are a young woman, you haven't been in a compromised state for as long as some (although I am sure it felt long to you), you sound very active, and you have a terrific motivation in the form of your family.
That motherhood journey really does change the dynamic of who we are...in a positive way. Dealing with ongoing pain and its management does as well, but not in a positive way. Your life is going to change yet again as you strengthen your muscles and get your other hip done. I'm willing to bet that you will look back on this time and the few preceding years with amazement at how much you've changed. The exhaustion will abate, I promise. It's part and parcel of this experience, plus you are a mommy of little ones.
For what it's worth, strengthening took me a much shorter time than I expected. I was astounded at how quickly it came about. I am definitely older than you and was in very poor physical condition prior to my surgeries.
You can do this and fabulously at that! Sending good thoughts your way. :)
 
@NellBell Thank you!!! That is just what I needed to hear-

@DeepBreath There was no need to be nervous. But quite a bit of work to do. Super tired, and I will catch up once the wee ones are in bed-
 
8 weeks-Day 1 PT

Well, yesterday was filled unexpected activities. My poor son woke me up at 2:30 am .....and the tummy bug was back. Since it was a short bug, it was winding down by 11 am, and I DID make it to PT at 1 pm. Fingers crossed that no-one else gets it again (I have washed everything).

PT felt good. It is amazing to feel the difference in muscle strength on each leg. So much to do to stabilize everything. I am very sore today....focus on the glutes and core.

But the end of my day was unique. No other hippie had this.....my daughter got a potty training seat stuck on her head. Yep.... And of course I was alone with the kids! She pulled it past her ears and couldn't get it off, and wouldn't let me pull it off. Panic of both of us set in....because I had to cut it off her head....with pruning shears. (My 4 yr old offered to cut too, and I ran next door for adult back up.). My neighbor protected her neck....as I cut the plastic. Good news, no bodily injury and only trmporary emotional anxiety. 'Mommy, you saved me!' Only in my world! Bahahaha! If only I could upload the pics from my phone...it says the file is too large. Might have to do it from my laptop tomorrow-

Needless to say, might have to postpone the beginning of potty training
 
8 weeks-Day 1 PT

Well, yesterday was filled unexpected activities. My poor son woke me up at 2:30 am .....and the tummy bug was back. Since it was a short bug, it was winding down by 11 am, and I DID make it to PT at 1 pm. Fingers crossed that no-one else gets it again (I have washed everything).

PT felt good. It is amazing to feel the difference in muscle strength on each leg. So much to do to stabilize everything. I am very sore today....focus on the glutes and core.

But the end of my day was unique. No other hippie had this.....my daughter got a potty training seat stuck on her head. Yep.... And of course I was alone with the kids! She pulled it past her ears and couldn't get it off, and wouldn't let me pull it off. Panic of both of us set in....because I had to cut it off her head....with pruning shears. (My 4 yr old offered to cut too, and I ran next door for adult back up.). My neighbor protected her neck....as I cut the plastic. Good news, no bodily injury and only trmporary emotional anxiety. 'Mommy, you saved me!' Only in my world! Bahahaha! If only I could upload the pics from my phone...it says the file is too large. Might have to do it from my laptop tomorrow-

Needless to say, might have to postpone the beginning of potty training

Oh wow!!! So glad your neighbour was around to assist!! Haha how did she think that the potty goes on your head?? Glad she came out unscathed!


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
@Toddlermom, the things moms go through! I'm glad PT went well and that the tummy bug was short lived. Also glad that you were able to save your little one from the clutches of the potty chair! That picture will be gold, especially when she has children of her own. :wink:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Toddlermom - one down!!
@Zelda Hubby was at a meeting, and I was texting him updates. In case he had to meet us at the ER.
 
My grandfather once gave my mom a wooden toilet seat and taped her picture in it like a frame. As a teen at the time I found it hilarious. If your the "crafty" type I would suggest turning a toilet seat In to an actual frame with a copy of this picture inside. Save it for her until she is older or hang it in the garage for fun :snork:. Of course I am a potty humor kind of guy.
 
Please post the "framed" photo when it's done!!!!
A few years ago my youngest was fooling around on a hairdresser's chair while his sister was getting a haircut and for whatever reason put his head through the armrest and of course it got stuck, and of course I had to take a picture before helping free him (while laughing)...he was sooo mad at me then, but we all laugh at the picture now!


RTHR, MIS (minimally invasive surgery), posterolateral approach, Feb. 15, 2016-cancelled :( waiting for a new date
 
@Toddlermom The photo is priceless! I'm glad you got the seat off of her safely! Poor thing! You are Super Mom!

When my daughter was younger she got a toy remote control car stuck in her hair (Strawberry Shortcake version). Don't ask me how she had the car up to her head while pushing the remote control... "Mommy!!! I'm stuck!" The wheels had completely spun into her hair creating a huge tangled mess! I had to cut her hair to get the car off her head. I was a bit freaked out but couldn't help but laugh also. Didn't think to take a picture! Good for you to do that!

Have a fun weekend! :) With no mishaps! :heehee:
 
:heehee: Those are great pictures, @Toddlermom - definitely ones to save ..... to be shown to the first "love" she brings home to meet the parents :eyebrows: Poor little one, though, I bet she was scared - of maybe having to go through life with a potty seat around her neck or what would happen if those tools slipped or would she be on punishment until she turned 30 ..... little ones' imagination can be really over the top sometimes.
 
So the funniest part of this story....was my husband. He was with some tech guys, carpenters, sound & lighting designers at a meeting. They were discussing manly technical things......

I sent him the first picture with a note.....'I am going to handle this, but if not....I may need you to meet me at the ER, to watch Ian.'

He texts....'Do I need to come home now?'

The guys...MUCH discussion about whether he SHOULD go home....Regardless. There was laughter and probably a wee bit of pity for me on the other side of the phone.

Me texting......'You are too far away, give me a bit of time to solve this.' (He is 40 minutes away)

Time passes.......neighbors, tools....probably 20-30 minutes?

He texts.....status update?

I send the tool pic with the note....VICTORY!!

He shares the pic with the group. The gruff tech guys grunt their appreciation. Their response .....'Cori rocks......Your wife is a bada$$!'

WIFE wins!!!
 
@Zelda She was BEGGING me to cut it. When I had tools, she calmed down. However, She panicked when I put baby oil on her.....trying to slip it back over her head. Poor thing!
 
Oh, poor little sweetie! Hooray for Super-Momma getting her unstuck! I have to admit that gullimac's craft idea is priceless. :)
@Toddlermom, you should write a book about your current adventures. The title could be something along the lines of 'Becoming Bionic - One Mom's Journey from Replacement to Recovery...and All the Wild Things that Happened in Between!' :heehee:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom