THR Toddlermom - one down!!

@Krista Thank you for your kind reminders.:roseshwr: It was helpful to have a 'brain dump' online, after a 6 hour period filled with....'Cori, we really need you to ______.' It is amazing how writing down a nagging worry....just makes it less powerful. I briefly hesitated before hitting POST. But I felt like this push/pull about how fast to return to life....is an important part of the process. And sometimes it gets you down.

The work on the non-profit is self preservation. My husband is a board leader, and together we have helped the organization do some incredible things in the past 4 years. Filling the Executive position will take many responsibilities off his plate, and ultimately make him more available for me. Fingers crossed that I can wrap it up in 2 weeks.

My mom is coming for Mother's Day, so the Cavalry is coming! Mamma is getting some back up, lol. Gonna try to catch a few more :sleep::sleep::sleep: before the kids get up. My sweetheart just left to catch his flight.
 
@Toddlermom just one reminder - everything does not have to be perfect! I know you want to do the best for your children. But sometimes we have to work within the limits that life offers. Right now you are still finding your way around "getting back to normal". Sounds like there is still a bit of energy drain that certainly is not helped be sleep issues.

Be good to yourself and let your children help where they can. While Dad is gone perhaps they can have roles in the day to day running of the house. In whatever small way they help, they will feel important.

Take care!
 
@Toddlermom & other Smarties,
It seems @Toddlermom that you struck a common chord with many of us. And you have received some good suggestions. So glad your mom is coming to help soon & hubby is supportive though very busy.
I've been feeling pressured lately about my upcoming trip to see my 92 year old mom. I hadn't told her I was coming yet but every time I'd mention to my hubby that I wasn't sure I have the stamina to go, he'd say "your mom is 92 & you need to go". In the interim of my surgery time, he had cataract surgery & is having trouble seeing to drive & we discovered some opened sores between his toes. He's diabetic & can't reach the sores so I'm doctoring those too with his prescriptions. Plus I've been experiencing stomach & abdominal cramping for a week or so. So this morning I sat down with him & said its just not the right time for me to go--I'm not ready & I'm still helping you. He heard me & understood. I had to word it in the right way & say it kindly but resolutely. So now I'll change my ticket for a few weeks out.
I say all of this to vent but also to reiterate that we have to be our own advocates & keep saying things until others "get it". That's not a selfish thing. It's self-care so we can help others later. Keep on self-advocating & expressing feeling to this group that understands. I can't imagine doing this with little ones. You are doing great!
SweetPea69
 
@Jaycey .......Perfection isn't even in my vocabulary. I am feeling pretty good if they have their teeth brushed, wearing clean clothes, and using a few please/thank yous.

Energy drain is still an issue, but it seems to improving. Even now, I had a very active morning on my feet for 5 hours.....and I fell asleep for 45 minutes at 6 pm. Weird. 12 weeks on Thursday. Do some people feel completely recovered at this point? I don't feel pain, but I was pretty sluggish after my activities by 2 pm. It was hard to climb up into my husband's truck. I feel so much better than pre-op, so Bonesmarties....I am not complaining! Just feeling like I am at 80% of where I want to be....and I can still have a nap attack. And I am not naturally a nap person.
 
@sweetpea67 Hugs for your mom! I so understand. I probably should start testing my driving stamina. My mom was encouraging me to drive 90 minutes to see my grandmother this weekend. 3 hours in a car round trip is probably possible....but the idea of it just makes me anxious. We did a family drive to the beach a few weeks back, and it was a very fidgety experience during the last 1/2 hour each way. luckily she is coming into town, so I can see her without attempting a solo one.
 
@gullimac I will try to catch up tonight once everyone is in bed! Drove 5 hours to visit my parents yesterday....and they have filled my day with kid activities. Whew. I haven't been able to visit them since the fall. So much to catch up about--
 
I haven't posted on here in ages, but this weekend is my 2 year new hip anniversary! :wowspring::wowspring::wowspring:
Getting ready for hip #2 (probably in August or September) and I have to find another doctor because my insurance has changed. The kiddos will be turning 5 & 7. Just took a moment to re-read my recovery thread, and WHEW! Makes me tired just thinking about it all again. Although I am not eager to start the process, here I go. :good-bad:
 
Welcome back @Toddlermom ! I found the second THR so much easier than the first. I didn't limp around as long with hip #2 so the recovery was not as complex. I hope you have the same experience. In any case, we will be here for you again!
 
@Jaycey Hoping that the 2nd round isn't quite as 'eventful'. At Christmas, I had reached a point where socks were getting harder again. My limp has returned, so the time has arrived.

Last time I was able to be very specific about my doctor and had a Mako assisted, but this time I have an HMO for insurance. Met with someone who does 300 hips a year. Uses the same hardware as my last guy, but a different approach and ball. And to avoid the Mako due to the extra radiation from the CT scan. So much to think about.
 
Worry not! I also had a different surgeon, totally different hardware and a different approach for the second THR. No difference in the 2 ops and I am very satisfied with the results. The surgeon's numbers look great! Just let the surgeon make all the decisions. They are the experts!
 
Welcome Back ~ Happy Two Year Anniversary!
Such a pretty picture from your wedding day @Toddlermom
Sounds like you're a pro at this. Hopefully that helps eliminate some anxiety.
Wishing you the best as you research all and move forward!
 
So nice to see you post!! Being a fellow dysplasia, I wish we could get away with one, but whatever.
Good to see you are still in great spirits!!
 
Helllooooo @Toddlermom - :hi: wow you make time fly! It only seems like yesterday we were in regular touch. Well I'm a vintage double-hipper now and extremely thankful too. As Jaycey says, and I agree, my second was a whole lot easier. Possibly because I knew what to expect and I was able to manage things accordingly. Knowing that it is simply a process and a question of time and patience helps. Glad you're happy with your surgeon - that helps - and after all these people are so experienced and know their onions. Really hope that pain doesn't creep up on you too fast - make sure you look after your hurty hip and resort to stick (cane) and crutches if and when needs be. I really must write up my update. Life gets in the way now - as opposed to my hips getting in the way of life. Such a relief - all best wishes to you and keep us posted :SUNsmile:
 
@Miss Muffet :roseshwr: Soooo glad to see you are doing so well! I ended up going back to work at a new job about 7 months after surgery, and I finally feel like I am in a good spot for the next operation. I will need to get through this summer's Shakespeare Festival and I will be ready to roll!:egypdance:

quick question for you. How did the difference in the two surgeries "feel" different? Right now hip #2 hurts SO differently than hip#1. It's strange. Much more limited range of motion, but hasn't progressed to the throbbing bone-on-bone yet. Just sharp spells that remind me EXACTLY what is coming.
 
Hi @Toddlermom - glad to hear you ended up back at work and am guessing things went well from there on, except for this niggling feeling that you are in need of another new hip.

The actual surgeries didn't 'feel' different in themselves - I really meant that the second experience seemed to go a whole lot smoother. I had been a nail biting bag of nerves for #1 but somehow felt in a much better place for the second. I think I managed myself much better, had realistic expectations and knew this marked the end of the road and the future looked so much brighter, mostly because I felt such an enormous surge of relief having had the first surgery. It meant I could look forward to double bubble benefit - and truthfully it all worked out that way. Any minor trip-ups I experienced the first time could be usefully addressed. Only practical stuff really - how I slept, what I ate, managing visitors and keeping myself occupied. You see I just had to feel I was IN CHARGE - totally power freak that I am. But it did make a difference. Your situation, I realise, is different having a couple of ankle snappers to manage, so I was in a 'luxurious' position where I just needed to boss Mr Muffet around so things ran on rails (so to speak). Do keep in touch - I feel sure you will do well and be SOOO happy to be all balanced up and painfree at last.
 
@Miss Muffet I am much more relaxed this time around about the recovery process. However, new doc, different approach, and a discussion about dual mobility hardware. I am curious if it will feel different? Doc was discussing my limited range of motion this time around.

This injured hip is already presenting VERY differently from my first. (First one had flexible range of motion and overwhelming pain. Second, periodic moderate pain and huge problems with socks, underwear & pants due to very limited range of motion.) It just sends my imagination wandering off to think about how differently they might move after recovery. Nothing to be done about it, of course. Just a thought to ponder-:chinstroke:

Take care.
 
@Toddlermom Good morning Very interesting about the different hip pain you are experiencing.
That is my situation also. However I have not had my surgeries yet, March 23 for RTHR and soon as I can for Left.
My Right is worse pain and weight bearing issues but still maintains ROM - the Left is not as painful except for groin, but ROM is quite limited. According to OS the Left is worse as far as xray shows. However comparing xrays of Right hip 6 months apart it is catching up to the left. Both of my hips show flattening of the femoral head.
My sis had a similar situation and had the most painful hip replaced first which also was less involved by xray, then several years later had the other hip replaced when it too became loud. She has had no post op issues with pain or mobility and is two years out from second hip. two different OS and approaches.
 
I had difference in first and second also. I guess it is just an issue of different wear patterns, bone spurs in different places.

Was doing pretty well with recovery from second until you raised issue of if they would move differently. I’ll let you know if I notice any difference when I’m a bit further down the road. But I will be pondering that all afternoon.

Have a good day @Toddlermom.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom