Bilateral TKR tjcteacher's recovery thread<

I have Rheumatoid arthritis as well and changes in the weather (from dry to wet/cold) have always made my joints worse. I've noticed since my RTKR that the rainy weather is still having that effect on my new knee but don't know why.
 
I have a better rate at predicting the weather than the weather people. Almost constant pain for six weeks. That's springtime in New York. Ice more than usual. It really does help.
 
@tjcteacher
Sorry you feel so fed up today. Lack of sleep does that. Have you managed to get more pain meds, sounds as if they make all the difference to you. It's not nice to be so restricted in what you can do and where you can go. I'd like to go out for a little run in the car, but I can't get my leg in a comfy position, and my energy levels are non existent. My surgeon keeps saying "stick with it". You had very major surgery only one month ago, nature will heal in its own time. Patience is said to be a virtue, we will all be very virtuous!
Love, Tabby xxx
 
@referee54 @Josephine
question for you and other experts. I have developed on the outside of my left leg crazy spasms at night-I can get my legs comfortable. It's kinda behind the knee and goes down the outside. It's is so so annoying. Could not sleep last night-tried everything. What in the world???? Doesn't bother me during the day.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Why does are the bad stuff always seem to happen when we're trying to sleep!? Add me to the list of 'weather knees'. I was hoping that would go away after a replacement. Maybe it takes a while. I've been predicting storms since my 20s!
 
Yes these tight hamstrings are doing me in. I'm so tried but just can't sleep. Icing now, Praying sleep will come later. @referee54 I just read that you had issues with tight hamstrings? Causing issues on left leg. I can't get it to relax so I can sleep.
 
I really had to work on my hamstrings and stretch them. Later on, I would heat the hamstrings to loosen them up and make them more elastic. I would then lie face-down on the bed and let my legs dangle over the edge and allow gravity to do its work to slowly stretch the. Eventually, I used small ankle weights to help, as well. I would then ice them afterwards.
 
After a terrible week of muscle spasms, no sleeping, crying all the time I think I've figured it out.
Started Tramadol at the beginning of the week. These are side effects of the Tramadol that I experienced. I can not take Tramadol with my anti-depressants.

Because tramadol is considered a pain medication and not an antidepressant, doctors sometimes don’t think of it as interacting with serotonin-based antidepressants such as citalopram or fluoxetine to cause serotonin syndrome, although it can do so (American Journal of Case Reports, Dec. 19, 2014). Several case reports of such interactions have been published.

I had symptoms serotonin syndrome. Yesterday was my last one I am praying it gets out of my system quickly. Sad I had to suffer all week. Just shows you have to be your own advocate.
 
Have you seen very many folks who can't take tramadol @Josephine? In my recovery page today I wrote about what I believe I am experiencing after taking tramadol with 2 anti-depressants that I take! Not good together.
 
@tjcteacher, I've moved your post into your recovery thread as you really must take notice of whose thread you are posting in! Only post about personal issues like this in your own thread. Doing as you did risks derailing the other member's thread which isn't very friendly or courteous! (Forum etiquette: being polite when posting)

To answer your question, yes I have known people with whom Tramadol was incompatible, either for themselves or because of other medications they were taking. It could be any of the usual: nausea and vomiting, headaches, bad dreams, etc. There is an excellent site called Drugs.com which I always use. Have a look at this page.
 
I was merely commenting on that page since Suz was talking about Tramadol-folks need to be aware that there are side effects-not trying to tell my story but what I've discovered and been through might help someone else. Thought that was what this forum was for. Sorry I was trying to be careful to not derail anyone's recovery forum.
 
Celebrating-Week 5 Birthday of new knees and I slept "pretty good" last night! In bed all night and I slept without pain. I am beyond excited. Had PT yesterday and we are still working gently on the left leg very tight hamstrings. The left knee has been somewhat of a problem child and the right knee behaves very well! Like they say on Bonesmart can't compare knees even on the same body when done at the same time! They are different. Of course they were different pre surgery. The left was a bit worse as far as pain and swelling as the right knee. I go to the OS next week for follow-up. Still continuing PT 2 X per week.
 
Congrats on your 35th wedding anniversary, it was nice you could go out for a little celebration. It was our Pearl Wedding anniversary last Tuesday. Sounds like you are making amazing progress for 5 weeks :happydance:
 
Since I slept I actually got up at 7:00 am rested. Cooked breakfast and cleaned kitchen from night before and now ready for a nap :):rotfl:
 
  • Funny
Reactions: Suz
Congrats on your excellent progress. Sounds like you're a bit ahead of me..particularly re night time!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom