Bilateral TKR tjcteacher's recovery thread<

Anyone use CPAP-My events are way way up last night-is that due to pain pills? Gonna call Monday and see if I can increase pressure.

I use CPAP too, I haven't had the problem you mentioned, in fact I am not even sure what it is that you are describing but I have had several problems keeping it under my nose since my surgery. Best bet is to get it checked and have them up the pressure if you need it.
 
Oh my the baby 6 week old knees do not like all that I did yesterday! Yikes!
 
Had an excellent 6 weeks follow-up appointment with OS yesterday. He was quite pleased with my ROM and how well my knees straighten. He assured me that would continue to get better. I am very blessed indeed. I'm driving since I am off all narcotics. I use my cane when I go out of the house just for security and a bit of support. When I sit for long I get stiff-just like these knees did pre surgery!

I will still do a bit of PT for a few more weeks. They are quite gentle.

The biggest issue I have is I run out of energy so quick! Hoping that continues to get better. Getting to sleep and staying asleep is still a bit of a problem-such restlessness in these legs but it has gotten better with time too. I've been massaging my scars-they are still so stinking sensitive. My goal is to be able to wear jeans when summer is over so I have a while :)

I am blessed to be a teacher and I have a few more weeks off this summer before I have to go back to work-it will be the first of August before that happens. I get to focus on getting stronger and take care of my knees.

Thanks for all the great advice on this site!
 
That's a great report, you are doing really well and are such an encouragement. You've made amazing progress in six weeks, you must be really pleased. Everyone gets the fatigue and problems sleeping, it's only natural considering what we've been through, and you've had both knees done. You'll be a lot more recovered by August!
Love, Tabby xxx
 
Congratulations on your 6 week follow up. Well done!! Mine is next Monday...a week late because of the holiday weekend.
As you mentioned....6 weeks seems like the charm. Last week I was frustrated and worried but the world changed on Monday!! All of a sudden I found myself walking at normal speed with a nice easy gait without any awareness. I can go upstairs like a normal person...albeit very slowly and carefully using the handrail but I'll take it! I can do 5 minutes 4x/day on my bike trainer with no resistance, a few wall squats and heel raises and I can go about 4 blocks on the cinder path behind my house, carrying my hiking poles under my arm, just in case. But the best part is that today is day 4 of this new world and I haven't paid a price. Of course I still get some bony soreness but no worse than last week.
Yes! Sleeping is still a nightmare (non sequitur ??) and scars are hypersensitive but life is good.
Like you I'm off of work until August 1 so the next 7 weeks are about strength and endurance. My physio assured me that the burning bony pain ( not awful but there) worse with weight bearing activity will continue to disappear over the next 6 weeks as well.
I agree, the support from this site has been pivotal in helping me get this far...Thanks to everyone!!
But the best part partner.....as long as our Good Luck holds over the next 6-7 weeks.....We're done!




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I've been using Arnica gel on my scars for the last few days because they were hypersensitive and occasionally hot and really itchy. It seems to be working. There is way less heat and it aborts the itchiness and I think the hypersensitivity has resolved somewhat as well.
My rulebook said no creams for 6 weeks but now that everything has been closed for about 4 I decided to try it at 7 weeks.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good follow up report. You will gradually regain energy. It was one of the last things to return for me last year, and I anticipate it will be the same again this year. You're doing great!
 
Great 6 week report. I'm really glad that you are doing so well. Be careful though as you can easily pay a visit to the ODIC ( over did it club). I've done that several times early in recovery.
 
I did with my 2nd knee. I used a heating pad under my thigh and it helped a little. My surgeon finally gave me a prescription for Flexeril, but I learned the hard way you can't take it with Tramadol. It causes terrible vertigo if taken together. I almost fell one night when I got up. I only took a couple of doses and stuck with the heat and it finally started to calm down but it took a couple of weeks. Just don't let the heat get near your knee or it will cause your knee to swell more. I also couldn't elevate that knee like I should because of the sciatica but did the best I could. It wasn't the first time I had had it in that leg so I knew what it was.
 
Last night was so tough with the spasms in that left leg-made me jump up out of bed-I did use the heating pad @Gigi32. It did help some :) Thanks for the advice. That muscle, mostly down the calf and kinda on the outside of the leg below the knee, gets so tight-can't get it to relax. I want to take a bath and soak but have not attempted to get in the tub yet. I'm afraid I won't be able to get out!!! Anybody have advice for getting out of the tub with new knees? Thought to get out if I could put in a little stool to get my bottom on to give myself a boost I could do it but have not tried it yet :what::shrug:. I am not getting enough sleep at all that's for sure!
 
I would just continue the heat and you might try massaging it during the day to try and relax it. I sure wouldn't advise getting into a tub just yet. I did that a few months ago while we were in Pigeon Forge(one of those deep Jacuzzi tubs) and the only way I could get out was to flip over onto my knees and kneel on them to get out. Its much too early in your recovery to try that! Maybe you could sit on the side of the tub and just let your lower legs soak? Are you still going to PT? Maybe they can suggest some stretches that will help. You also might want to try 50 mg of Benadryl to help with sleep.
 
I had sciatica with my first tkr. Like @Gigi32 mentioned, heat seemed to give me the most relief, especially moist heat. I tried flexeril, but it made my head spin, so none of that for me.
 
I just read your story and was very impressed. I can't imagine having two new knees. I am at day 13 and making good progress. I was amazed to hear that you started driving at week four. I sure hope I can. I hope your sciatica pain goes away soon. I would be afraid to try getting out of a tub. That was hard before the new knee! Better safe than sorry. If you do try, make sure there is someone to help you if you need it.
 
Yes still going to PT and they have been working on it during my sessions. Yes getting out of the tub was difficult before knee replacement and I don't think my knees are really ready but I so want to soak this leg in hot water. I will try moist heat. It's frustrating that it keeps me from sleeping-sleep is important to me :zzz::sleep::yawn::sleeep::alarm:
 
I have 1 irritable SI joint that sometimes triggers sciatica if I'm not careful. There is a muscle stretch called "piriformis stretch" that helps me ward off problems. You have to modify it a bit without full knee flexion but I've been using it if I feel any twinge coming on and so far it's worked. Ask your PT to show you that one.
Maybe also ask your PT about acupuncture. That's what mine uses with good result if I get a flare up which happens if I use a bike trainer with the seat high...like now!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sometimes sciatica and piriformis syndrome cause the same symptoms. This article talks about piriformis syndrome:
Piriformis syndrome - a pain in the butt!

I developed sciatica about a year after my TKR and my main symptom was the awful pain in my lower back. PT didn't help, but several sessions wit my chiropractor finally took the pain away.
 
I had that after my 1st knee. Just curious-have you bought new shoes since your new knees? If not you need to. Your gait is going to be completely different now and if your still wearing your old shoes you're probably straining some calf muscles. I'd go to a good shoe store, one of those stores that specializes in shoes for runners and get fitted for a good pair of walking shoes. Eventually, in a year or so you'll find that you'll be able to start wearing all those cute sandals and flats that you haven't been able to for years(I still don't trust myself in heels). I bought a pair of flat sandals with crystals all over the toe band and straps this summer and they are actually comfortable. I haven't been able to wear anything like that in 20 years.
 
Back
Top Bottom