Bilateral TKR tjcteacher's recovery thread<

PT was great-very gentle approach. Philosophy is at this stage of my knee replacement to promote healing, range of motion and straightening. I'm already at 120 ROM and 0 flexion. We will then work on strengthening. I have been using my cane the last few days-they prefer I use the walker for a while longer to promote healing by taking weight off of my knees while they are healing. We talked about how this process was a year long healing journey. They were surprised about two knees-most people seem to be. After PT I went to visit my 4th graders at school and then went to lunch with hubby. By the time we got home I slept for an hour and have done nothing the rest of the afternoon other than elevate and ice these baby knees.
 
I'm glad your PT session went well. Slow and gentle is the best approach, so that you don't do anything to upset your knees. Your ROM is great for so early in recovery. :yes!::yay:

You did quite a lot for one day. It's good that you felt that you could, but do beware of doing too much on a regular basis. You still need lots of rest, ice, elevation and regular pain medication.
 
Yes @Celle I have to remind myself of your advice quite often. I am still doing those things-thanks for the reminder. That's the first time I've been out other than to the doctor 1 time last week.
 
Your ROM is fantastic. Keep up the good work ( which is ice, elevation, meds and gentle exercises).
 
I am so exhausted the last two days! Ugh! Ready for a energetic day. Going to PT tomorrow. It's weird how Tuesday I felt awesome-did too much-have paid for it last two days. Had friends over all afternoon yesterday and didn't ice. L O N G night! What a journey but no regret at all. Such a learning curve:good-bad:
 
The old roller coaster ride that we are all on during out recoveries. One day you feel super energized and the next two your down. It's so easy on those days to make a trip to the ODIC! ( over did it club). Eventually you will start having more ups than downs.
 
It's weird how Tuesday I felt awesome-did too much-have paid for it last two days. Had friends over all afternoon yesterday and didn't ice.
@tjcteacher - the above is what you posted on Keen Skier's thread. I answered you there, but I also want to repeat my advice on your own thread.

It's great to have friends come and visit, but you don't have to stay up to entertain them. Let them wait on you, while you rest in bed or on the couch/recliner, with your legs elevated and iced. It's best to keep their visits short at first, too, as you will tire easily.
 
@Celle thank you for the advice. I have learned that lesson the hard way that it's best to balance my activity, even just sitting and visiting with friends & family. My two new knees will be 3 weeks old on Tuesday. I am able to sleep well in my bed all night now. I am sleeping well and that helps with energy during the day. I am using a cane in the house. Thanks for advice @bonesmart
 
It's great to have friends come and visit, but you don't have to stay up to entertain them. Let them wait on you, while you rest in bed or on the couch/recliner, with your legs elevated and iced. It's best to keep their visits short at first, too, as you will tire easily.
Yep---my minister came by to visit---it was great---until I fell asleep!! He let himself out, I guess.:snork:
 
3 weeks out from BTKR. Tried out the recumbent bike today but I was not comfortable getting it all the way around yet! Just rocked it back and forth. I am still taking loratab 10/325 and and extra 500 mg tylenol every 6 hours to stay comfortable. Does that sound reasonable to knee surgery folks? I am going to have to ask for more or try to wean off. Advice? I am elevating lots during day and icing mostly evening and night. Very little swelling-uncomfortable but not more than 2/3 but I'm taking it pretty easy still. Thinking of trying tylenol only during day and loratab at night? Thoughts? I just don't know how it's supposed to feel :)
 
@tjcteacher, I stand before you in awe as you are recovering from bilateral total knee replacement. I only had my right knee done and the pain has slapped me around good in the two weeks since, lol! It finally won out in my attempt to be 'Ms. Cool', not wanting to take narcotics for pain relief. But like others here keep saying, this is 'major surgery'- our knee(s) have been assaulted- of course there's going to be major pain. I'm of the opinion now we need to do our best to keep that pain under wraps.

Good for you for coming and asking about pain meds. We don't seem to talk about them that much here. Me personally, if I don't set alarms on my cell phone and take my oxycodone & oxycontin (less tylenol) accordingly, I'm unable to accomplish my best gait when walking small distances. And forget any type of mild exercises.

I finally let go of my pride and stayed faithful to my prescribed medication routine and I can honestly say that each day I see improvement. I'm not hanging onto my walker like it's a life raft or something.. lol! It won't be long now I'll be able to start cutting back small amounts of the meds. But for now- my knee gets it on schedule whether it asks for it or not! By doing this it also helps me sleep. And it is my understanding that our best healing takes place while we are asleep. I'm so proud of you! You're more of a woman than me.. having both of your knees replaced at the same time. *WHEW*-!! You deserve to and should take those.. :chillpill:'s, that's for sure. LOL!!
 
Lortab at night to just Tylenol during the day is a big drop. If you do decide to try you might ease in by using lots of ice during the day as well as evening.
I had my BTKR same day as you. I'm using Oxycodone/acetaminophen at night and T3x2 every 4 hours by the clock most times during the day....occasionally Tramacet if I'm more sore. Just dropped down from Tramacet regularly daytime this week.
But everybody is different and you'll never know until you try...Good Luck!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Keen Skier It's odd I feel like I'm supposed to cut back. I feel pressured but by myself. My prescription that I got 10 days ago from the OS said 3 per day but I've been taking 5 and now cut back to taking 4 per day. I don't really feel I'm ready to cut back further yet. I just got to the 4 per 24 hours-which is every 6 hours.

What is T3x2 that you are taking? I think I'm really afraid of running out and not having a refill. It could feel totally better next week-we just don't know!
 
T3 is Tylemol 3......15mg of codeine (which is LESS strong than Oxycodone which is a little less strong than hydrocodone(Lottab) combined with 325 of acetaminophen.

Reread Jo's abstracts.... at 3 weeks post BTKR nobody with any sense or empathy (and YOU seem to have lots of both) expects you to be off of narcotics during the day!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think you're doing awesome to be down to 6 hours between meds at 3 weeks. I sure wasn't. Go by how you feel. Oftentimes the docs give us limited prescriptions but are willing to write refills. They just want to monitor you.
 
Today was the last day of school here and I wanted to visit with my students for a bit-My new knees will be 4 weeks old on Tuesday. After students left for the day we had a baby shower for a teacher-by the time it was over I was over tired, shaky, and crying because I could not find my cell phone to call my husband to tell him to come get me :) That was from 10:30-1:00-I was done! Been in this recliner elevating with ice all afternoon. Yep @referee54 I think I'm further along in recovery than I am-read your article!:yawn: But I'm so grateful and do not regret a bit doing both at the same time!:spin:Yes it a long recovery :yes!: but I can see progress.
 
Enjoy your recliner! That was a lot to do at just 4 weeks out. You are now an official member of the ODIC ( over did it club).
 
Anyone else find rainy weather makes your new knees achy? Mine are so stiff and achy today-I need sunshine in Kentucky. It has rained all of May so far! My knees are almost 4 weeks old.
 

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom