Bilateral TKR tjcteacher's recovery thread<

I just passed the 4 month mark. On my good days, I walk around my classroom. Bad days, I rest it and roll around in desk chair. I prop it when I get to work, at lunch, and at planning. I'm also wearing compression stocking during the week. Have gel ice pack in mini fridge.

I take it one day at a time. I teach high school and had many of same students last year, so they know how far I've come. They've been really helpful for most part.
 
I've got to start wearing the compression stockings/socks. Waiting for weather to cool off. Those things make me so hot!
 
@tjcteacher just read thru your postings. I also work at school as a educational assistant. I'm almost 3 months out started back to work on time, but it's been kicking me in the butt. Come home just wiped especially this last week, 1st full week. The swelling also started this last week, hadn't had swelling of my ankle or foot, even after surgery that was minimal in that area and now it's started swelling I ordered some zippered compression stockings, will need help to probably get it on, some days I can get a sock on fairly quickly and other days I work up a sweat. Hoping that this will help with the swelling and achy fatigued feeling legs, I am going to ask the surgeon about using them as I still have a open area in my incision directly at the most stressful pt of my knee, don't want to put any added pressure on that area to prevent healing as it finally seems like it might be starting to close. I order these stockings online from Amark I believe that is the spelling. They come in black and beige. I am glad to know others also have issues with ongoing swelling. My husband must have listened to the post op class well about swelling as when I say anything he says " you can swell for a yr or longer, that's normal" . I'll be watching all the educators updates to see how everyone is fairing back at work
 
I might get some of those for a couple of longish car trips I'll be the driver for later in the fall. Good to know, thanks.
 
I picked up some compression tights for runners that I found on amazon, they have all sizes. In my case I am definitely NOT wearing them by themselves but they do help with the swelling.
 
What a wonderful, wonderful post to read! Thank you!


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Six Months! How has that much time passed since my BTKR! I'm doing great. Still swollen by the end of the school day but I stand and walk a lot during the day keeping up with 28 nine-year olds. I am trying to wear my good Brooks shoes everyday, which helps. I'm happy with my new knees!
 
AS a former educator, I also had some swelling and soreness at six months or so---I just iced as needed. I always, as a matter of course, wear compression tights under my umpire uniform regardless of the weather, and they seemed to help me. I also wore compression stockings, which helped as well, and also helped with tired feet.

When I returned to the classroom at eight weeks post-BTKR, I was wiped out, stiff, sore and swollen by the end of the day. I would ice and elevate on Sundays---I would do nothing but after church on Sunday.

Please keep in mind that stamina is one of the last aspects to return.
 
I have been waiting for cooler weather to wear compression stockings-it's gonna start soon and I think that will help.
 
I'm so glad things are going well. I am not far behind you but don't have the challenges you have. I am eager for six months to arrive. Keep up the good recovery.
 
I have been waiting for cooler weather to wear compression stockings-it's gonna start soon and I think that will help.
I have ones that I wear when I umpire that are designed to keep you cool in warm weather and warm in cool weather. Great product. I also wore compression socks that I purchased from a local sporting goods store. My legs feel so much better after I work a ball game.

I was wearing the tights well before I had my knees replaced. I wear them when it 39* or 90*. I am wearing them today when I go out to the farm.
 
Well I tried my zippered compression stockings today and felt I had ordered them large enough for my leg, but I couldn't get it zipped shut. So I took one of my ted stocking and they were thigh high and cut one off and have worn it for the day. Have about 5 more stocking left will cut another one off a little higher up to make sure it goes over the knee the one I did today, I cut off below the knee, doesn't seem to be running or anything was afraid cutting it off would ruin the stocking as it was start to run like a panty hose would but it hasn't. Won't ever wear the teds again the way they are so if I can make them work in another way it's a win win.
 
And Happy Thanksgiving to you, too! I'll be 6 months old next Friday and can finally say I'm glad I did it! Have a wonderfully blessed day!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom