Bilateral TKR tjcteacher's recovery thread<

CPAP-My events are way way up last night-is that due to pain pills?
Most likely yes, opioids depress respiratory function. If you have an auto machine you might want to tighten the lower range higher. For straight CPAP call your Dr. you do not want it too high causing centrals.
 
When did you drive after having knee replacement? I had both done at the same time. I am trying to think about when I can drive myself to physical therapy.
 
With just my right knee replaced, I started driving a manual (stick shift) car at about 4 weeks. Some people have driven automatics a bit earlier.
There are two important things to consider:
  1. You need to be off the heavy-duty narcotics, so that your thinking is not impaired and you are not driving "under the influence".
  2. You need to be absolutely certain that you can control the pedals accurately and fast, so that you can do an emergency stop at any time.
Before I drove, I had several practice sessions, getting into and out of the car, sitting in the car with the engine turned off, moving my feet rapidly from pedal to pedal and depressing each pedal fully.
Then I had a trial run, up our drive and back. My first journey on the roads was a short one.

I have heard that some insurance companies require a clearance from your surgeon, so it coudl be worthwhile to check that out, too.
 
I drove at 2 weeks with my Left knee and at about 3 weeks with my Right. As Celle said, you need to be off the narcotics because it's considered DUI to drive while taking them, and you need to be able to react quickly. My surgeon left it up to me and said to do it when I felt comfortable. I had to be at 90 deg flexion to leave the hospital in order to get in and out of the car, so that was already established, and I think a little more than that is needed in order to comfortably get in and out to drive. I have a large SUV so getting in and out was easy, and I parked where I could get the doors to open wide so that helped. I also practiced around the neighborhood a couple of times before venturing out on the roads. I'm not sure if you thought of this ahead of time, but I downloaded a temporary handicapped parking form off the KY transportation website and had my primary doc sign it so that I could park close for the 1st 3 months after surgery. That helped a lot.
 
@tjcteacher - My numbers are horrible on my CPap since my surgery 5 weeks ago today. My AHI is usually under 5 and it's now around 19. I visited my sleep doctor this week and she said it's very normal with narcotics and since I'm at the tail end of taking them (and I can't adjust my machine myself) AND my pressure it quite high anyway, we're giving it another couple of weeks. That makes me uncomfortable, but in the meantime, we've ordered fresh supplies (mask, cushion, tubing, headgear) to see if someone was amiss there.

Since you can adjust your machine yourself, I would definitely put a call into your doctor. Quality sleep is so important during recovery. What worries me the most is I don't believe my '19' is really representative of what's really happening, since it doesn't reflect the nighttime hours that I'm lying awake and breathing on my own. So, I think it's a lot worse.
 
Thanks. I did call the cpap folks today. I think there might be something amiss other than me not breathing :)
When I dug further last night my AHI was 10.8-I was looking at another reading that said Events Per Hour 37.7. That was scaring me. So anyway they are supposed to call me back. I am just not sleeping good at night at all. I dread nights! I am also out of pain medication and I called my OS office and have not gotten a call back from that either. I remember reading that after a couple of weeks you get sad. Wonder if it's too early! My surgery was two weeks ago tomorrow and I'm just weepy today. Lack of sleep I think. I want to do stuff and I know I shouldn't do anything but rest and elevate these knees along with PT.
 
I'm with you on the sadness. I have the blues from lack of sleep, pain and boredom! We have to remind ourselves that it is temporary and ever so normal.

If you don't hear from your OS (and you should!) call your PCP for pain assistance. No one can sleep if pain is not addressed.
 
Suddenly going off opioid pain meds can cause depression/tears for me. I always had to let me doctor's office know a week before I was out to get the prescription on time.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @tjcteacher. It was good to see your update. I've had those weird zings in my legs too, very strange feeling. How much numbness do you have around your knees? I have much more on the left than I do the right. My right knee is my problem child now whereas before the left was the problem.

This Wednesday is my 4 week anniversary with my new knees. I see the OS on the 19th and am hoping that he'll say I can start driving again. I have cabin fever for sure......lol
 
The post op blues seem hit everybody. I'm having a fairly easy recovery this time but it still hits me some days too. I'm not sleeping that well either. You have to remember too how much your body has endured with the trauma caused by the surgery. It is trying to heel our knees. Those down days will pass as you start to feel a bit better.
 
Give your OS a call and tell them that the amount of pain meds prescribed is not enough to keep you comfortable. I know in my case the OS office has what is supposed to be a normal progression but in my case with my revision my OS prescribed what I needed. They had no problems when I gave them a call.
 
It's not good to run out of pain meds. I hope you get yours soon.
It's a good idea to start asking for more pain meds a couple of days before you run out (especially if a weekend is coming up). That allows for a little delay,but doesn't leave you with no pain relief.

Yes, getting the blues after this surgery is part of the deal, unfortunately:
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
You could also find that your emotions are very unstable. i know that I got angry very easily and was far less patient than usual - and I'm not the most patient of people, even on a good day. :whistle:
 
Kentucky has really cracked down on Family Practice docs prescribing narcotics. They are being monitored like crazy. Didn't your surgeon give you a prescription? My surgeon was really good about giving me what I needed(he was in Indiana) but I didn't need a lot of narcotics. I had better relief with Tramadol, especially the first time. They can call that one in you don't need a written script. Have they suggested that one as an option? I had pretty good luck with it and Tylenol together. Honestly the Norco and Lortab didn't help me all that much anyway. You shouldn't be cutting your meds at 2 weeks if you need them, it may just be they aren't effective as you need them to be or you need something else. When do you see your surgeon again?
 
No one mentioned Tramadol-I am taking 1 tylenol with pain meds I have. I think maybe the pills are making me sad anyway. I'll try to cut down during the day more but keep it the same at night.
 
No, it's much too soon to be cutting down. You need the pain relief, especially with a bilateral.
If you're cutting back the frequency, you can add Tylenol 1,000 mg per dose (to total of 4,000 mg in 24 hours) to you schedule, as long as there is no Tylenol in your other medications.
 
CELEBRATION ANNOUNCEMENT:
I slept all night in my bed. Two important things: I slept & in bed not recliner! My baby knees are 2 weeks old today. I also go to my first out patient PT this morning. Have a wonderful Tuesday!
 
Congratulations on your big night!!! Getting back into the bed is a small victory that adds up to becoming all normal again!


The best to you on your first day of out-patient PT!
 
Congratulations on your great night's sleep. :yes!::happydance:

Be careful that your therapist at PT doesn't expect your new knees to do too much exercise.
 
Back
Top Bottom