TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Janis - @Timetolive
I've edited out the tags in your post, above. We don't encourage multiple tags, because it makes it so difficult for people on mobile devices - all they can see at first is a list of tags.
This article explains it:
Use of multiple tags or alerts in posts

Most of us are watching your thread anyway, so we'll see what you post.
 
I lost 80lbs, but over the years gained it back :tantrum:. I wish taking synthroid helped lose weight, but it doesn't. It just keeps the thyroid working, not the metabolism. My brother got all the metabolism. If I don't take synthroid I have no energy whatsoever. I try to follow the diabetic diet which is low carb, but I'm just not successful.

I use very little on my hair. I blow it dry every morning, but that's about 4 min of heat and get it cut every three weeks. My used to be super thick, but so much anymore. I figured it was age and stress.
 
I had the knee wrap with my TENS unit and I didn't have to change the electrodes very frequently. I think I kept them for about 6 months. I lent the unit to a friend who used it on another part of the body and applied my extra set of electrodes directly onto the skin and it worked very well. My unit had a battery in it that could be recharged like you do a cell phone. The only place you can't put electrodes is any where were you would have the current by your heart. It would affect the heart's rhythm.:yikes:
 
Hi! Just checking in to see how you are doing? If you are like me the better I feel the busier I get and don't get on here as often as I used to. Imagine I will be very active again after the 29th :snork:
 
Good morning @Glamg1979. I am doing. I am still having swelling in my knee, but trying to keep going. Ralph seems stiff and doesn't bend well, but I am attributing that to the swelling. At least I hope that is it. The intestinal issues are settling down with just a day here and there with pain. Thank you for asking. I just don't have anything different to report - same old, same old. I figure it isn't interesting to anyone and people are tired of hearing about it. Are you ready for surgery? All settled into your new home? I am glad your daughter will be there to help you. You are in my prayers for a successful surgery and a quick recovery!
 
@Timetolive my knee still swells also. Moreso if I've stood all day. And actually it's my whole leg that swells. All still normal as we are only 4 months post op. It does get better with time. I just know that by November at our 1 yr anniversary these days will be a memory. Just take it day by day.
 
Thank you @midwest girl. It just gets old some times. I see the older people at church and they failed right through their TKR's and here I am, still swelling and struggling. Sorry, sounds like a pity party doesn't it? You are right though - one day at a time.

Karri, I look forward to summer then! Thank you.
 
No not a pity party, everyone has issues we may not know about. Although my dad sailed through two knees and one hip with very little issues, then there was me! Back in the hospital, in an imbolizer, picc line etc. pretty bad when your dad who's 25 years older has an easier time!
 
I want to believe it is helping. The pain is dulled, so that is an improvement! I have been doing more since I got the unit, and not having an increase in pain, so we will say it is helping. It sure feels funny!
 
No increase in pain is good! Was there something to tell you where to put the sticky things?
 
The TENS unit is a weird feeling for sure but it always seemed to help me until the very end was approaching for my knee. You know we can't compare ourselves to anyone else since we are all so unique. My PCP told me the other day that after after 2 weeks post op a TKR you don't need any pain meds. Let's just say he now has a better understanding!:rotfl: Let us know how you're feeling. No pity parties here just people needing each other for support.
 
Karri, not really. I looked online and found quite a few sites explaining where to put the pads. The gal I picked up the unit from said to put it on the painful spot and then the other one across from it. I wanted to use all four pads, so I looked online to figure that part out. I just used it again and I am gonna go ahead and say it does help. My husband's back is bothering him, so I have been putting it on his back and he says it helps him!

Thanks Marian. It does get almost irritating after a while. I just turn it down then. Not wishing anyone ill will, but don't you wish sometimes people like your PCP could experience the pain? :yikes: Then we will see what they say! How much longer until your surgery?
 
6 days!!!!!:shocked: I used 4 tabs with my knee on the TENS. 2 on the upper part to the left an right of center and two below. The configuration was a box formation. The middle of the box was the most painful area. You can do the same thing for your husband. My friend did that when I lent the unit to her For her back.
 
Marian, I saw that you put them in a crisis cross fashion on the knee when using all four. One on the upper and one on the opposite lower side. I am sure they work either way. 6 days until you begin the recovery toward your new knee and a great life! You are on my prayer list!
 
The manual for my TENS unit says to place the electrodes in a cris cross . That is the same way they do it at pt also.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good Friday to all that believe and a happy Friday to all others!

I don't have much new to report. I am still having some pain and lots of swelling with Ralph. The pain is not as bad since I have been using the TENS. My husband and I went shopping at a Tanger Outlet Mall yesterday and did a lot of walking. I wanted to get some new Skechers. I am tired of wearing my tennis shoes everywhere!

Just exactly (ha! I KNOW this isn't an exact science) or from your personal experience, how long does this swelling last? Did you continue to have the random pains? How long did you ice and elevate? How long did you continue to do some form of exercise? I guess I am wondering what everyone else was feeling like at almost 5 months and beyond. At some point in life, you just say the heck with it and try to assimilate back into the life you envisioned you would have after surgery.

The stomach is still a problem. I have pain on most days still, not more than an ache with a stab every now and then. The diarrhea is not so much of a problem now, just once in awhile. To think, 4 months ago, I was worrying about having a visit from the :chuckmarch:

Now for the biggest update!!! Charlie is running and playing in his yard and starting to come out of his shell! :doggie::doggie::dogwalk::dogwalk::doggie::doggie: His favorite toy is a tennis ball inside my gardening glove! In the house, any toy he can get his mouth on, whether his or GiGi's (the cat), goes into his bed. I have to put them in his basket so he can have room some days! We are still working on the basic commands, although I am pleased he is becoming a happy little beagle finally. If you treat him to a small piece of hot dog, he will finally come up the flight of deck stairs into the house. THAT is a big accomplishment! Our deck is a floor up and the steps are open. He has definitely found a home. GiGi tries to get him to play, but he does not seem interested.

May each of you have a blessed Easter. As for me, I am thankful to my Lord and Savior for the sacrifice He made on my behalf. I hope everyone has the opportunity to share a meal with someone that makes you feel loved and that your knee(s) are comfortable this Easter weekend.
 
Hi!! Happy Good Friday to you also!
I am at 5 months and knee gets tight at the end of the day and last night I had to ice and elevate. I bumped my knee on something during the day but no big deal because that area is still numb but it caused more swelling than usual.
My activity level is good but still held back by pain of left knee so walking and shopping are still difficult. Praying that will all change come this Tuesday!! My new knee is doing the bulk of the work and weight bearing now and come Tuesday it will really be put to the test! I am imaging it will get a little grumpy while L knee is healing.

So good to hear your tummy is doing much better and that Charlie is happy in his new forever home. Think Ralph may not feel "normal" until another 6 months.

We are doing an egg hunt here in our backyard tomorrow for all the grands and having a big lunch afterwards. Really excited that my daughter is being baptized on Easter Sunday!! She has gathered so much strength from her faith.
Husband and I were not baptized until we were 45 so sadly we did not raise our kids in the church. But they are finding their own way!

I report for surgery 7 am on Tuesday and am beginning to find my calm. Will admit I have been pretty nervous all week.

Have a blessed Resurrection Sunday!
 
@Glamg1979, how wonderful your daughter is getting baptized! It doesn't matter how old someone is when they are baptized! Never be sad about accepting Christ as an adult. As an adult, you fully understood what you were doing. I am proud of you for living a life that you can look back on and be proud of. You raised beautiful children and are a wonderful woman. Your Easter egg hunt sounds like great fun! I miss having little ones in the family to share things like this with. What a blessing to have grands in your family. You are in my prayers for a successful surgery and quick recovery. You will find that peace. The Lord is with you always. Have a blessed Easter.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom