TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Timetolive I hope the pre-natal vitamins work for you. Keep me posted. Yes, my hair did grow back so hang in there. Post surgery I'll get going more diligently with the biotin and may give the pre-natal vitamins a try too. I'm down to 13 days. I'm not ready yet, but am getting closer. I'm a list maker so I have two lists running with things to do - one for work and one for home. Otherwise, I think I'd miss something...........lol
 
Hi Janis @Timetolive its been awhile life happened and I just wanted to check in and see how you are doing. Just caught up on your thread glad to see you are on the mend so sorry Ralp is still causing problems sometimes. I am doing well doing a lot more my knee is behaving it does get swollen at the end of the day. I am walking my dogs around the block again and doing a exercise routine with my daughter as much as I can. I still ice at night it feels good. Make no mistake when I over do it my knee tells me to stop and relax.
My right knee is also miss behaving a little and it does not like going down hills. Anyway just wanted to check in and to let you know that even though I am not on as often I still think of all my bone smartie friends. Take care and wishing you a less eventful recovery. :friends::friends::friends:
 
Madeleine, @macduf387, how nice to hear from you! I take it in spurts also here on BS. I am glad you are able to enjoy life again. I am sorry you are still swelling, but take comfort in knowing I am not alone. (That sounds pathetic!) ha! Will you get the right knee replaced? I cannot fathom that at this point. If I had not had all the side effects from the Xarelto and morphine, and then the diverticulitis, perhaps I could. I have little pain now - mostly just an occasional pain or aching when Ralph gets swollen from doing too much. It is hard to find that sweet spot. Thank you for stopping in and I wish you all the best in your continuing recovery.
 
Glad to,hear that you are doing well. Have all your GI symptoms finally disappeared? I hope so. I hope the swelling gets less every day.
 
I had an appointment with my OS today. It is hard to believe it has been FIVE months since surgery! Ralph is coming along. The bad pain I had from the PT incident has finally gone away - thanks to time and the TENS unit. I have the occasional jolt when those nerves keep waking up, although the numb spot is still fairly large. It is still strange shaving a numb knee! Ha! The knee continues to swell when I am on it. The swelling causes a discomfort - perhaps a level 2 on the pain scale. My extension and flexion are hampered by the swelling. I am riding my recumbent at least 20 minutes a day with the seat set as far forward as I can stand to make a rotation. Usually I have to raise my hip to make those first few rotations, but then can peddle ok. Ralph makes a clicking when I peddle - the OS said this was normal - saying " after all, the knee is mechanical". I do really like my surgeon and his willingness to talk with me. I asked him how he felt I was in my recovery and he feels I am doing fine considering everything I have been through. He stated that some people stop swelling within a couple of months, some 6 months and some a year. Guess which one I will be? He is referring me to the home PT office to see one of the therapists that does a special type of wrapping for edema. I am not sure about it, but I am always game to try anything that doesn't involve medications. Medication has made my recovery a nightmare. The gastroenterologist feels my morphine withdrawal may have contributed to the diverticulitis. I don't have diarrhea every day anymore, but the pain is with me most days. I would really like to get over this. I am thankful that the diarrhea is not happening every day now - just once a week perhaps. Finding the food that triggers this is still a mystery.

Charlie has made me more active playing with him and I have started walking him around the block. Getting a little beagle helps in many ways. The cat, GiGi, is really trying to get him to play, but he just ignores her still.

I am ever thankful for the support and friendship I have received here on BoneSmart. Having a knee replaced is not for the faint of heart - as many of us have found out the hard way. May each of you know painfree days and the joy of walking with a natural gait.
 
I have a friend with Lyphodema who has done the wrapping on her legs, she's also done the lymphatic massage to reduce swelling.
I'm glad your OS is happy. It feels great to hear you're doing well despite everything, doesn't it? Still praying for that tummy!
 
We had a PT with the home nursing company that I worked with that helped people who had problems with swelling in their legs. There are several things that can be tried. I'm glad that you are starting to feel a little better and that your new found friend Charlie likes to take you for a walk. You are really doing well considering all the different 'bumps' you've had on your road towards recovery.
 
Hi Timetolive, Nice to hear that your OS is pleased with your progress. Yes, it sure is an odd feeling when shaving a numb knee. For some reason with both of my TKRS the hair on my knees grew like crazy!!! Maybe from all the moisturizing cream i put on every morning when massaging my knees.
My stomach finally calmed down when I very slowly tapered off the Tramadol. Sorry to hear you are still dealing with the pain and occasional diarrhea. When you have a sensitive digestive system it doesn't take much to set it off, then takes forever to get back to normal. At least you are alot better now than awhile ago. Hope it continues to improve.
Glad to hear you are enjoying walks with Charlie. Beagles are so adorable when they're not driving you crazy. My Daisy has been feeling much better. She is still on antibiotic and 2 meds to support her liver. Will be on those for a couple more weeks, then redo blood work. Hopefully her liver enzymes will be at a better level then. Meanwhile she's doing well and of course I'm spoiling her llike crazy.
I'm still having some issues with stiffness on both knees. I'm at 4 months now with the newest knee so I'm always interested in how you're doing, since you're one month ahead of me. My other knee,done 10 months before has been complaining too, probably because I was putting all my weight on it while dealing with the new one. I have really been trying remember to stand on both legs when doing dishes,etc. Also had gotten into the habit of putting all my weight on the first TKR when getting up from a chair. No wonder it started to complain.
 
@KarriB : Thank you Karri! This sigmoid colon is hurting like the devil today. Perhaps I should name it so I can say evil things to it! Hahahaha! It certainly takes the attention from the knee. Do they wrap the entire leg? I only have swelling in the knee - not the calf or foot. it is in the knee and above the knee - this big bulge above the knee. Gross looking.

@newlybionic : Marian, thank you. When I look back, those bumps felt like sinkholes! How are you doing now? I hope you are doing well and can see the "other side" now.

@karol723 : Karol, I am still massaging my knee too! I feel like if I keep massaging it, that when I do kneel on it, I won't have a ridge there. I am very pleased with my scar. I asked the OS when I could kneel on my knee, it said "not for a year" and I asked him why. He said you aren't going to do any damage and you can kneel now - it is just going to HURT! I think I will wait! Hahaha! I know EXACTLY what you mean about standing on the "good" leg. I find myself doing that and I am consciously trying to put my weight on the new knee. It is hard! I am glad Daisy is doing somewhat better and will say a prayer for her blood levels to improve. Our pets bring so much to our lives, we hate to see them unwell. Take care!
 
Good report Janis! Even though you've had many problems along the way and still have a few, in the long run I've always had a strong feeling that you and your knee will be great. It may just take a year. I'm looking forward to the magical 1 year mark. At least I hope it's magical.

I also get a click from my knee cap occasionally when pedaling the exercise bike. Usually when I'm a bit swollen.

I'm glad you are getting out on walks with Charlie. It's good for both of you, mind and body.

It's funny what Karol said about the hair growing like crazy on the TKR legs. My TKR leg has much more hair than my other leg. I assumed it was from wrapping it in Saran wrap all those nights. Luckily I don't have to worry about shaving it.
 
I'm not sure how it works, Janis. I have that lump on my calf that has never gone away. I try not to worry or be vain about it. Doesn't always work, especially at pt when they're massaging my leg, I feel the need to explain it.
 
@smarttoys: John, you ARE lucky you don't have to shave your legs! :heehee: I can't say I have more hair like you and Karol - I have been losing the hair on my head though! Wish it would grow there. Perhaps all the massaging that is done on the knee? Thank you for saying you have the click on the bike. I usually ride after being outside with Charlie. I play with him, then come in the basement (it is a daylight basement) and ride my recumbent in front of the double windows so I can watch him. So, it is swollen by that time. Charlie is really coming into his own. I am really trying to work on the recall command. It is a little tough with his beagle nose!! He will be making a bee line for me when I whistle, then smell something on the way and make a sudden turn to follow the scent. It is kinda funny to watch, but is getting very frustrating! You are right, it is good for both of us to walk. We are working on intentional walking instead of marking and sniffing EVERY blade of grass around the block.:dogwalk:



I wonder how long we will be members of the infamous "Over Did It Club"??? I had a very busy day with grocery store, going to the farm to buy strawberries, doctor visit, take dog to groomer, (taking him out twice in between all of this which involves stairs from the second floor deck) dinner out with my daughter, then shopping until 9:00 pm. Charlie out again. I was so exhausted, I was almost stumbling. The night was very uncomfortable with the swelling and discomfort. When I got up, I was so stiff, I could hardly walk. It would be nice to have a "normal" day of errands and life. My stamina is nonexistent. I know part of this could be attributed to the constant pain of the diverticulitis and not feeling well, although it all is getting old. No need to tell me to have patience- I know the drill. :bored:

Here's to a day of rest and gentle exercise!
 
As for hairy knees.....yes it does feel weird to shave a numb knee! I shaved about 1 week before surgery just in case I cut myself. So last Monday was going to have staples removed so while showering I shaved my legs. So embarrassing when I got to the OS office I realized I had used the razor upside down and absolutely nothing had been "shaved" and I got to present to the nurse a very hairy leg for staple removal. We both had a good laugh about it and she reassured me she sees a lot of unshaven legs :rotfl:
 
Oh my goodness, I didn't shave for a whole month after my washout surgery. Showering not permitted and I was too afraid to do anything to my leg, even shave. Guess I could've bought an electric razor.

Janis, 2 1/2 years later and I still have numbness on the right side of my RTKR. It feels incredibly strange when I shave.
 
Hi Janis so good to here a good report from your os it is hard to believe we are 5 months post op. I am so glad to here that you are and Ralph are doing so much better and I hope the tummy problems will be a thing of the past very soon. I am doing well hubby and I are off to Mexico in two weeks for a little r and r. I didnt think I would make it this year but have been feeling good walking more and I am sure some lying on the beach and swimming will be great. :)
as far as kneeling I can do it as long as I have one of those foam gardening cushions under my knee, not for long but i can. I too have a place on the top of my knee that swells still icing at night which helps. I also have the clicking knee especially when I start walking in the morning, I keep asking my daughter if she hears it and of course she says no. My other knee is okay its temperatmental at night and I know its just a matter of time when it too will have to be done but for now I can live with it. Hang in there, I nearly went swimming today its been a beautiful day here in California. Take care of yourself and continue to enjoy Charlie I know my puppies give me hours of fun and keep me sane.
:flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@macduf387: Madeleine, so nice to hear from you! What wonderful news you are going on vacation! I hope you have a wonderful time. You deserve some R & R. I am glad your other knee is behaving somewhat. I can't wait to see what the new therapist wants to do for the swelling. That "bulge" of swelling above the knee is really unsightly. The stomach has been acting up this week.

Charlie is coming along. We are going to an obedience class in May! I need a little help with his attention and shyness. I thought a second eye might help me.
 
Janis, your OS is spot on: I tried kneeling yesterday and yes, it still kind of hurts but not really. I didn't particularly need to kneel, just wanted to see if I could.

All in all, great 5 month progress report. Congratulations!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom