TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a TENS unit and have used it for years. The TENS unit is different then the EMS (i.e. E-stim) that is used in pt. the EMS is used to rehab muscles etc following injury, surgery etc. The TENS unit is used to relieve pan. It's blocking the signal the nerves are sending to the brain. I've used mine quite a bit in the past. The main component is small and can be attached to your belt. And the electrode is the same as what is used for the EMS. I wear mine to work, while driving, while in bed. Whatever works to give you some pain relief. I love mine!
 
I purchased mine through my PT and my insurance covered most of it. And they cover all the electrodes when they need replacing. It's worth the investment.
 
@KarriB - I haven't read anywhere about not eating eggs when I take the doxy. What is the reason for restricting eggs? Do you have any side effects from the doxycycline? The doctor did tell me to be sure and drink a full glass of water and not take them close to any time I would be laying down. She said people have been gettin ulcers from taking them, laying down, the pill sticking in the esophagus and causing an ulcer. That was interesting!

@midwest girl, thank you!! Your description really helps. Are you using it on your LTKR? Do you use it for other pain? I am glad to hear you like it and it helps you. I hope to hear from the company soon. Should I ask about the electrode replacement? How often do they need replacing? Can you purchase them in a medical supply store or do you have to go through the company to get them?
 
No, I haven't used them on my new knees. I did before they were replaced. I use the TENS mostly for muscle pain. Because of my job I get a lot of muscle knots in my shoulders. And I get a lot of lower back pain from spinal stenosis & just from standing all day. The TENS helps with that. I also use dry needling to loosen the knots. The electrodes I order from the company the unit is from. They file the insurance claim for me so it's so convenient. I replace the electrodes when they start losing their stickiness. Good adherence to your skin is important. You may be able to buy them from your pt also. Word of advice - don't touch the sticky side of the electrode while it's running. You'll get a good zing.
 
Hi Janis, We've had Buddy for about 2 years now. Our older beagle Daisy thinks she's his mother ! They are so much fun, especially in the summer. Hope your Charlie is doing OK. I think it will just be a matter of time. Maybe he's not sure that being with you is permanent yet.Hope your having a nice day.
 
In the beginning I had, ready for this? Diarrhea! I was on 200mg at first and there were days I couldn't get to the bathroom fast enough. It wasn't every day, but when it hit, it was bad. Being on a probiotic helped, but once I went down to 100mg things were much better. I'd still have stomach problems, but not as frequently.
My ID told me not to eat a lot of dairy at the time I took the doxycycline, to wait an hour or two. It has something to do with the effectiveness, I think. But my bottle does say I can take it with a glass of milk though. That's confusing.
 
@KarriB. Karri!!!!! That is NOT what I needed to hear! :yikes: I DEFINITELY don't want that side effect! :bawl:
Good to know dairy is ok after you take it. I had read two hours after, but the RX has a sticker that says NO DAIRY. It is confusing. So far, so good for me. Slight headache, but that is tolerable. Thanks for sharing your experience! Other than toilet training a toddler, who else talks more about the Poop Fairy :chuckmarch: than a TKR patient? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
 
You can call the pharmacist and ask about the no dairy instruction. Hopefully :chuckmarch: won't come calling! In a few more weeks I'll be looking for :chuckmarch: so you can send him my way right now if you want!
 
Remember, I was on 200mg at the time and now I'm on 100 and it's much better. I'd also been on IV and oral antibiotics for two months before going on the doxy, so I'm sure that all was part of the problem. You may be just fine. Did your pharmacist give you an update when you signed off?
 
Janis, My dogs and I have been on doxycycline in the past for treating Lyme disease. The doctor and the vet both said to avoid dairy for a few hours after taking it and the bottle always said no dairy. I'm not sure why though.
 
Hi Janis,
I want to tell you about my little rescue dog, Spot. I got him as a one year old. He had been on the street for a while and then was in a shelter and then in a foster home. He was very shy, reserved, and a bit suspicious of us when we first adopted him. The only member our family that he would cuddle with and take food from was my 5 year old son. Over the course of a year with much patience and love, he blossomed into the most amazing dog I ever had. It took months for this transformation to happen but it did.
Spot started off sleeping under the couch, and graduated to sleeping in my son's bed with him. One night, when my son was at a sleep over, Spot jumped into bed with me. All was well until I rolled over onto him in my sleep. He bit me on my eyebrow. I had to get stitches and was a bit freaked that the bite was so close to my eye--I'm an artist. I didn't blame him and we didn't give up on him. In fact, Spot lived with us for 17 years. After my son went to college, he slept with me every night, and there was never a repeat of the biting incident. In fact, sometimes, I would wake up and find him cuddled up under my neck or my arm or legs.
He became a sweetheart, who would kiss anyone. He was so smart-- we could tell him to go get something like a hat or a tissue from another room in the house and he would do it. He was an amazing partner on walks, and helped raise my greyhound puppies--the perfect nanny. He became my heart dog--the special one in a lifetime of living with dogs that I will always treasure.
The main thing is to give unconditional love 100% of the time. Dogs are amazing creatures who will return that love to us unconditionally as well. Some of them need a little time to learn how to read our faces and enjoy our company, but they do learn!
Jan
 
@KarriB , I have not talked to the pharmacist again. I am not worried about having diarrhea again - hey - I am used to it! Hahahaha! Thank goodness for probiotics. I know you take them and I do also.

@smarttoys, John, thanks. Lyme disease is nasty stuff!

@jarabas, Jan, thank you for sharing that sweet story. It seems like one step forward and two steps back. Charlie is asleep in my husband's lap right now. If we take him outside in the fenced yard, he is now pacing back and forth and will not go up or down the steps anymore. Back to square one. We got him two new toys today hoping to entice him again. I wish I knew what is going on in his head. Don't we all wish our pets could talk to us? More importantly, I wish I knew what has happened in his short two years of life to make him so timid and scared.

I am happy to say this has been a good day stomach wise. I look forward to more days like this!
 
Some of my puppies will leap down the stairs first time and some pace and whine and won't take the chance. I sit with them on the top step and talk to them. Then I slide down one step and play little games with them with toys.
If they so much as put a paw over the step I tell them what brilliant creatures they are. I'll move them into my lap and give them a nice massage. The idea is to make the steps become a positive place rather than a scary one.
Of course it is important to be sure that there are no physical reasons for avoiding steps, like a subluxating knee or a sore paw.

Here's hoping for another good stomach day and a happy Charlie, Janis and husband!
 
I don't think that eggs are considered dairy. Dairy is milk, cheese, butter, all other products made with milk. i.e. something that comes from the milk of cows, goats, sheep - not chickens.
 
I know for myself that dairy is something I must avoid, gives me horrible digestive problems. I only use soy or almond milk.Maybe it's best for awhile to just stay away from dairy to be on the safe side. Glad to hear you've been doing a little better.
 
What a blessed Sunday this is! I had a big day yesterday and Ralph got a little mad, but we survived and I am proud of him. My daughter and I went to the cemetery where my parents are buried and changed the flowers on the graves, then drove out to the country where my grandparents are buried and changed those flowers. We then visited one of my Momma's best friends. I also went to church and setup the heat for the week. (Programming 4 thermostats and checking the furnaces - lots of stairs) Later that day, I walked Charlie around the block! That is the first time I have walked all the way around the block. We have a few hilly spots that were a little more challenging, but it was nice to do the walk. Ralph was very swollen and there are some new stabs of pain, but I am confident this will work itself out. The stomach problems I feel are about 60% better. Still hopeful for a recovery on that front.

At 4 months, I will say it has been a hard journey with some complications. Most of them are attributable to my extreme sensitivity to medication and hard PT. Am I disappointed I didn't have the easy time some have? Absolutely. Do I understand why my journey went off into the ditch, wallered in the mud, then jumped in another mud puddle? Never. Am I thankful for what I have achieved? Always. Even though things have not been what I expected, there was never an alternative other than pressing on. I have found the depth of my relationship with my husband is greater than I could have imagined and know I am blessed and loved. I have a new appreciation for the beautiful young woman my daughter has become and I am so proud of her. Friends have amazed me with their concern and love. So you see, things may not be what I expected, although they have made me realize what love, strenght, care, and prayer look like. Ralph and I will keep on working at improving and figuring out how to make the best life we can. I thank each of you that have been here for me, cheering, sympathizing, encouraging, and helping me along the way. I couldn't have had the journey I have, without you.

I hope everyone has a day of thankfulness and comfort.
 
:goodpost: Good to hear you had a great day and lunch with friends! There is nothing like reconnecting with memories. Wait a few days before you take the walk with Charlie again, giving your knee time to heal, I wish I had done more walking in the early days of my recovery. Have a happy Sunday! It'll be a sad evening though!
 
@KarriB, sad doesn't even begin to describe it! I just hope it all ends good for all and doesn't leave any questions. Why do you wish you had done more walking? So it would be easier? With your infection, that would have been impossible. You have been so brave and strong through everything you have had to deal with and continue to be an inspiration and supporter to all.
 
@Timetolive thank you! My leg (not just the knee) stills seems to get tired after a lot of walking. The infection was an issue and then the PF, but I really want to do more walking when spring weather comes. Yesterday I did some just walking to and around the theater and I tried to change my pace a bit and took smaller steps. I'm also afraid of pushing me left knee too far. But I'm calling to make an appointment with a foot specialist in my OS office. He helped another teacher in my building with her PF using physical therapy. I'm off to get ready for church, still not sure which one I'm going to though!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom