TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you have a wonderful Easter. I'm happy that your little pup is happy running and playing in his special home you are providing for him. I can't answer about the swelling of pain at 5 months out because I was only getting progressively worse as time went on. If the :chuckmarch:turns up at your house I'm looking for a visit! I'm doing much better than I did last go round. My pain is basically under control and the Zofran for nausea has really helped me very much. I just think how difficult would it had been for the first OS to prescribe some. I'm not going to dwell on the past but look ahead to the future. I am happy and I know I'll get better bit by bit. Thanks for all your prayers
 
How wonderful, @Glamg1979 ! My siblings and I were baptized as babies, but once we understood and made personal decisions about our faith we all were baptized again. On the same day! What a precious memory and exciting Easter Sunday you'll have right before your surgery.

@Timetolive , I'm so happy to hear Charlie has made himself at home! At five months I didn't have many issues with walking, but getting up from chairs was (and still can be) difficult, but I'm not one of those that have forgotten they have had a TKR. Maybe that's because I still have a painful left knee, I'm not sure. I did have a lot of zingers that spring, sometimes it seemed my knee had a mind of its own, jumping around while I was reading to the class and surprising everyone.

Happy Easter!
 
I have not iced or elevated since the 3rd month. When I come home from work I do put my feet up in the recliner but I don't have them elevated on pillows. I only get swelling if I've done too much and any pain I get will be some behind my knee when I bend it. This knee recovery has been so different than my RT tka. With my right I still had a lot of swelling and pain. It was almost at the 8 month mark that I started to not think of my knee. But it did take a full year before I felt it was "normal".

As far as exercises I don't do anything formal. Just living life has been exercise enough for now. but now I'm going to ramp it up a little and actually start a exercise routine to lose weight. Who knows that may make my knee sore. When I read your comments it takes me back to my right knee recovery and you're right on track. Everything you're saying seems normal to me.
 
Thanks @newlybionic, Marian. I am so thankful you are doing better. Getting your pain meds sorted out is a big accomplishment. Happy Easter to you!

@KarriB, Karri, good to know I am not the only one that does not just hope up from a chair! Easter blessings!

@midwest girl, thank you!!!! It makes me feel better to know I am normal! Hahaha! I am not sure that would fully describe me! Ha! I am glad you are having a better recovery with your second knee. I have been making a cake this morning and my knee is fairly swollen now after standing on it for a couple of hours. I am taking a break and icing so I can go back and finish it. This convinces me that I would not be able to handle a wedding cake for many more months. Happy Easter!
 
I continued to have swelling for the 8 months post op. I think if I didn't have pain and I had to ice and elevate after a long day I would have been able to deal with that. My knees have always swollen for 40 plus years. You could try an elastic sleeve on it when you plan to be up and doing a lot during the day. Over time it will continue to become less and less.

BTW what kind of cake are you making? I'm so not a baker. I have problems making cakes from boxes! Lol
 
@newlybionic, Marian, I made a Coconut Cake with Pineapple filling. Making the cake and then standing cooking the filling down was enough, but then I stood with the mixer and made Seven Minute Frosting for it! My husband was very appreciative of it and loved it, so that is all that mattered! I wish I could find a sleeve that would fit my HUGE thigh and normal sized leg below the knee.
 
Today was a good day. Today was a day like I used to have. I fertilized 10 azaleas and watered them, raked a portion of the yard, pulled some weeds, spread 20 bags of mulch, transplanted some daffodils, mowed a portion of the yard (riding mower), cleaned off the dogs' graves, and then made salmon cakes for dinner. Ralph is swollen, my hamstrings are sore from the bending, my back hurts from picking up and dumping those 20 bags of mulch, the dishes need washing still, but it was a good day. Other than pain from swelling, my knee did not bother me. I could barely walk when I came in, but I did not have that old bone on bone pain. Yep, today was a good day.

Tomorrow may be another story....:rotfl::mcoffee::rotfl::dead::rotfl:
 
Just add some icing (the cold kind, not the sweet kind :heehee:) to your day, especially tonight and you may be ok tomorrow. I'm glad it was a good day. I have some serious weeding to do in my flower beds, but the weather didn't cooperate on my free days. I've hit to head to bed because my alarm is going off at 5:30 am tomorrow! :tantrum:
 
That's ALL you did? My goodness you really had a good workout with all those chores. I'm very happy for you. Get some rest tonight. You might be surprised in the morning and be ready for another day of activity.
 
@Timetolive, That came sounded so good, now I'm hungry ! You sure did alot of yard work, that will make for some pretty flowers soon. Hope your knees will be OK today. Having a problem with my 11 year old Beagle. Had blood work done because we were going to have er teeth cleaned. Found out her liver enzymes are elevated, need to do more testing to see what's going on. Another blood test tomorrow, sonogram of liver next month. None of this is cheap either, but just want her to be OK. She's always been that one special pet to me, hope she'll be all right.
 
Good morning. Thanks Helen, Karri, Marian, and Karol. I am upright and mobile today. Feeling ok. A little sore, but nothing out of the ordinary. It does feel good to get out. I think the TKR was timed perfectly - spend the dreary Winter indoors and be mobile for Spring when the weather is nice. Although, as much as I dislike Summer and her heat, I could stay indoors then too! ha!

@karol723, I am sorry your beagle is not doing well. I do hope and pray she will be alright. Perhaps it is age related and normal? Does she have any other symptoms? It is so hard when our pets get sick and they can't tell us what is wrong. You are right - it is expensive.
 
Thanks Timetolive, Will have to wait for other testing to be done to know why Daisy's liver enzymes!es are so elevated. They said possibly Cushing's disease (tumor on pituitary or adrenal) not sure. Looked up symptoms, she has a couple but not the majority of them. Will need to practice patience again !!! She is 11 years old so I guess you need to start expecting the possibility of problems. Hate this getting older business for her and me. She is eating and acting OK, so she's not uncomfortable . Likes her sleep, figured that was just due to age, like me. So glad you feel alright today after all that activity yesterday. You are one month ahead of me, hope I can manage that sort of day soon too. Tomorrow will be a busy day. Need to drop Daisy off at vet for more blood work 9 AM, needs to be NPO, she's not gonna like that. Said she'll be there a couple of hours. They draw blood, give small meal, wait awhile, then draw blood again. Also have a lunch date with my 21 year old grandson, looking forward to that part of the day. All of this is at least keeping my mind off my knee.
 
@karol723 I had a cat that had to be on thyroid medicine for years. Eventually, the meds threw his liver out of wack. I gave him Milk Thistle tablets and that cured his liver problems. He lived for 5 more years until his kidneys gave up. I suggest you give the milk thistle a try. It's a whole lot cheaper than a lot of tests and meds from the vet. Hope this will help and let you worry about your healing and not your sweet baby!
 
Hi Janis,

Yay for being able to accomplish all that. That's awesome. Right now, I can't imagine not having the bone on bone pain. I really want to do yard work at my mom's place and can't imagine more than cleaning up after her dogs and refilling the bird feeder.

Have you had luck with the hair loss issue? I've noticed that I'm losing hair again. I think it's stress.
 
@sistersinhim, thanks for the advice. Will keep it in mind, glad it helped your cat. Knee is feeling good today, weather has improved here & that seems to help. @Timetolive, I got some pansie plants and hanging baskets, put them outside in the sun today. So glad Spring is here, lots of clean up work to be done outside! We will need to pace ourselves, don't want to anger the knees !!!
 
@Carolina Writer, Kelly, no luck yet. Several people have told me to take a prenatal vitamin to help with my hair loss. Now that my stomach is semi straightened out (still have pain), I have started taking them. Seems funny to be my age and take a prenatal! My hairdresser tells me that this hair loss from surgery will come back. I cut it back into layers to let the curls come out - that helps it look fuller. Yes, stress does a LOT of things to our bodies! My biggest stress indicator is my weight. I am a big (literally-Hahahaha!) stress eater. Hope to get a handle of that soon. Your time is drawing near! Are you ready?

@karol723, Karol, you are right. Pacing yourself is good - that goes right back to the ever elusive patience! I never found it during my initial recovery!:scare:
 
Your hair loss may also have been caused by you being sick for so long after your TKR. I'm sure it will start to grow as well as ever. I'm glad that all your work yesterday didn't cause you extra pain today. That's the best news you can have.
 
The combination of surgery, stress and stomach issues took a real toll on your body. I'm so glad you were able to get out and do what you enjoy doing. Now, just come on up to PA, I can keep you busy for a while!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom