TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Janis.
You are so right. While it doesn't always make us feel
better to think that we could be even worse off,
we can take charge and make a decision to try to be happier.
Jan
 
I wish you a great day to. You are an inspiration with your positive attitude. My foot does turn in a little too. When I bought my new sneakers the running store owner helped me find ones that were able to keep my foot straight on the ground.
 
I'm sure you've probably thought of this but are you sure you're not sensitive to certain foods? Lactose intolerant or gluten intolerant for example. Those things can cause gut pain, cramping diarreha etc. It seems like your diverticulitis has gone on far to long even though you've been taking antibiotics and a probiotic. Maybe it's food sensitivities. Just something to consider.
 
@midwest girl, I have thought of that. I have tried cutting out lactose, then gluten in the early days, and it didn't seem to matter. You are right - this has been going on a long time. It worries me since it has been since December 9th. It seemed to be getting better, but when my OS put me on the prednisone pack for the knee, it flared BIG time again - all over. I will ask the gastroenterologist on Tuesday when I see her about the lactose and gluten. Thank you for reminding me. I wonder if there is a test for either? When I last saw her, (5 weeks ago) she told me to do a low residue diet for two weeks. That is basically no fiber - of any kind. It was not fun and didn't seem to matter either. With Spring approaching, I really would like to be able to eat fresh produce!
 
I think you have to do it for several weeks before you notice a difference. Fructose (which is in everything) is a gut irritant too. That fact that you are approaching 3 months with no change is what leads me to believe it may be certain foods that are causing your problem.
 
Hi Janis, I have surfaced again! Starting to feel better.
So rough that your diverticulitis is still flared up. How much weight have you lost as a result of this? Not exactly the ideal way to lose it though.
So nice to read your little beagle is coming 'round. Sounds like he is a sweetie.
My son rescued a dachshund and it was so skittish, no one could touch or pet him.
With much love from my son and DIL it amazed me with how that dog turned into an extremely loving baby that can't get enough petting from anyone that will do it. Must be so rewarding.
 
Just droppin' in to say hello. Hope you are feeling better.
My grand daughter helped me make a chocolate cake for my husbands birthday this Friday. She was so cute pouring in all the ingredients for me. Bit hard for her to understand why it had to go in the freezer and we would make the frosting in a few days :). Nice to bake a cake again.
 
Hi Janis, just wanted to say "hi". Hope you're doing ok and that your tummy is behaving. I know when I had gastro problems it made me worry and that only made it worse !. Hope this problem psssses for you real soon.
 
I will ask the gastroenterologist on Tuesday when I see her about the lactose and gluten. Thank you for reminding me. I wonder if there is a test for either?
Hi Janis,
Yes, there is a blood test that can tell you if you are gluten-intolerant, or not. My husband had the test, and he wasn't.
I don't know about lactose, though.
 
Thanks @Celle and @KarriB for the information and checking in.

I saw the gastroenterologist yesterday and I did have the celiac test and it was negative. After a good discussion about symptoms, she does not think this is diverticulitis at this point. She feels we can trace this all back to the morphine withdrawal hell. It could have caused the diverticulitis, but it also has inflammed and irritated the sigmoid colon and we are now in a cycle of spasms, pain, and diarrhea that will not let the colon heal. I am now on a course of doxycycline and also have Bentyl to slow the colonic spasms. The pain has been constant now for three days at @ 5 - sometimes 4 in pain level.

Today, I saw the OS. He thinks I am doing great for what I have been through and what I am going through. He remarked that the "itis" in diverticulitis means inflammation and it is not helping my body. This is probably what is causing my swelling and some of my pain. They are ordering a TENS unit for the two places I have pain since he doesn't want to give me any meds while I am trying to heal this colon thing. (I appreciate that) I also asked about my foot turning out and he immediately said it was the muscles in my hip and when they get stronger, the foot will straighten out. I can feel the tightness when I rotate my foot inward to have it pointing straight. That made sense to me as I have been favoring this leg for over 6 years now. I still catch myself not standing on it when I am at the sink or just standing around. Does anyone have any experience with a TENS unit?

Little Charlie has taken two steps back and has reverted to his timid and shy self. I think this is going to be a long adventure. We were so excited that he had come out of his shell and had started playing and interacting with us. We are not giving up yet!
 
@Glamg1979, what fun to bake with your granddarling! I made a pound cake the other day and it stuck in the pan!! I think my pans have forgotten me! I can't imagine doing a wedding cake at this point, although I did love the creativity and making the flowers. I was thinking about making a Brwonstone Front Cake for Easter since I didn't make it at Christmas. My Darling loves Coconut Cake the best though!

@karol723, thanks for stopping in. Yes, it does make one worry. I guess I have worried more since my brother had the colon cancer.
 
Sorry to hear about your spasms, had them, they are awful. Mine was from dairy sensitivity, which I developed in my 50's. Bentyl worked well for me, hopefully it will for you too. These medications like morphine &all the others are a blessing and a curse. Hopefully your insides will settle down soon. You asked about the tens unit, I have had that used on me at pt, it seemed to relax my muscles around the knee a bit. I don't have it at home, but I think you can purchase them. Sorry to hear Charlie has gone backwards a little. I remember my rescue " Buddy" doing that too! Almost like they remembered something & got frightened all over again. It just took time for him to really trust us . Every time we took him in the truck he would drool like crazy. Our vet said it was because he was scared. Heaven knows where he thought we were taking him. Sometimes wish I knew what his life was like before we got him, probably better off not knowing, as I don't think he was treated well. Poor guy doesn't understand how to "play", he looks at you & walks away confused. We'll keep trying to loosen him up, he's come a long way. All we can do is give him a loving home for the rest of his life, can't fix the past. Good to hear your knee is doing well. I've Ben walking a lot better the last couple of days, not limping unless I've just woke up or at night when I'm tired.
 
Well if this is the case, at least there is an end in sight. My pt used a TENS, but I think they called ASTYM (?) not sure. They used it on my leg after therapy and a massage to relax my muscles. It didn't hurt and I looked forward to it. I'm on doxycycline. What's your dose?
 
I have an at home TENS unit I got from my OS. It was specifically for my knee so it just wrapped around it and velcroed closed. You then adjust the strength to a level that helps you. It's very easy to use and does work very well.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I hope the new drugs help your gut to settle down, Janis.

Sorry to hear that Charlie has taken a step backwards, but I guess his adjustment is going to be rather like recovering from a TKR - 2 steps forward and one step back. I'm sure that, with your love and understanding, he will settle down and be happy, even if it does take a while.
 
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all your comments.

@KarriB, I am on 100 mg. She was going to put me on 200 mg, but after we talked about my sensitivity to medication, she decided 100mg was best. I don't understand the dairy restriction though. Do you avoid dairy?

@karol723, how long have you had Buddy? It is a challenge for sure.

@newlybionic, they used it once at PT on me. I will know more about it after they check my insurance and I talk to the company that handles them.

@Celle, thanks. He is loved.
 
I started taking 200mg then after 18 months went down to 100. I was told I could have dairy, just not close to taking the doxy. She said a bit of milk in my tea was ok in the am when I take the doxy, but if I want eggs I have to wait a while or take the pill later. This was from my ID dr. I imagine you could take it at a meal with little dairy involved. I was just so paranoid about staying on schedule.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom