TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
karol723, smarttoys , sleepilu. Y'all are so funny. I am doing great today! :curtsey:

@midwest girl, I understand that mask. "Fake it 'til you make it" doesn't feel so good most days. How are you REALLY doing?

Would you believe we had an inch and half of ice and snow on Monday and today we are grilling burgers out with friends. Only in North Carolina.
 
Well said! I always just answer when asked, "great!" I feel bad because the hairdressers where I go weekly have dubbed me the "poster child" for bilateral replacement. They compare the progress of their clients, neighbors, family members, and friends who had one replacement to me. I keep telling them that everyone heals differently and that I have just been lucky. If they only knew the real daily struggle...


BTKR -12/28/2015
 
@GratefulNana, I have always had the fault of being very honest. When someone would ask me something, I always told the truth (with kindness if necessary). I wish I had done as you and said "great" or as John does and say "I'm getting there, it takes awhile". A man at church who has had a TKR, asked, so I told him the truth and he said, if you had been to Dr. "...." (His doctor) you wouldn't have these problems. Ummmm.....right.
 
"I'm getting there, it takes awhile"
I think that's the best answer. A lot of the time, people don't really want to know, but are just asking out of politeness. Here, you can tell the truth, because we've been there and we understand, but it's almost impossible for people who haven't had this surgery, or something very similar, to have the slightest idea.

I think, in view of the early set backs, your knee is doing well, Janis. It's not quite 4 months since the surgery and that's only about a third of the way to full recovery.
You've had so many other problems that I'm not surprised you're weary and sick of recovery. :console2:
 
It is a gorgeous day here in sunny Florida!
Temps tomorrow will be near 80. I am doing well, but agree 100% with you that other people who haven't had this done just don't get it. My hairdresser has had it done and he thinks I just sailed through it and couldn't understand why I am so apprehensive about the second knee.
To be truthful we even don't understand fully what YOU went through. Very tough road for you with the diverticulitis and not being able to tolerate pain medications!
I say to people 'things are getting better' but know better than to go into the swelling and aching at the end of the day.
Said it before and I'all say it again, this group is a huge blessing!!
 
Thank you @Celle. It does get frustrating at times, although I know I am blessed with the love of my family, friends, and the support of this forum. If I had not had the Xarelto problem, the trouble taking the pain medication, and the NEVERENDING diverticulitis, I feel like I would be doing pretty good. Like others, PT was not a good thing and I am suffering from that. BUT (yes, I realize but negates everything said prior to it) I am still gonna keep on choosing joy. It is so nice to have the support of someone who had been there - done that.

@Glamg1979 , you got that right! A blessing for sure. I can't match your 80's, but it is supposed to be 64 tomorrow here! Hamburgers on the grill and good freinds made today a GREAT day. Sadly, no beer - Dern diverticulitis.....Hahaha!
 
Hamburgers on the grill sounds yummy. We grilled chicken tonight. I started yesterday cutting wheats and grains from my diet :bawl: I did it before my last surgery and I had more energy and much less inflammation. It also helps stabilize my blood sugar as I am pre-diabetic...ugh.
Goodbye to bread, pizza, cookies, candy, pasta, processed food, etc. Just eating protein, veggies and low sugar fruits. :sigh:
It gets boring some but I can make some really tasty baked goods with almond flour, but it is very expensive!! $50.00 for 5 lbs...yikes!!
So I can somewhat understand how you feel having to pass up on certain foods and beverages :boohoo:.
 
Weather out here in the beautiful Pocono Mountains of PA have been going up and down all winter. We have had changes in temperatures of 40 or more degrees within a 24 hour period. I never know what to expect! I had freezing rain driving home from work tonight and it's 27 now but it's going to be in the 50s tomorrow. BTW I'm feeling 'fine' today. Every one at works knows I need to have surgery again but they still ask me after 9 hours of working why it looks like I'm limping. Really? I just say I'm fine.

Did you offer Charlie a little piece of a potato chip? My dogs also like a cheerio now and again. There are also dog training bits I get from Pet Smart that are soft and a tiny little bite that they like. Mmm I think my girls and I are going to try some chips right now!
 
Piper goes for popcorn, just a few, but I feel guilty eating it in front if her. One of our aides came back from a partial knee replacement yesterday. She had it done right after Christmas, came to my classroom to see me and couldn't believe how tired she still is as well as how hard sleeping is. She's having her other (a full) done in May.
 
I usually give my 2 beagles baby carrots for treats. They love to eat, if I have them dog treats they would probably put on a bit of weight. Now try know the sound of me opening the carrott package. Sorry KarriB that your side has to have a tkr in May. I had 2 witin 10 months and the energy drain really is strong sometimes. Lots of naps help!
 
Hi Janis. How are you doing? Has your new little beagle decided to sit on your lap yet? I hope he is enjoying his backyard especially on some of these warmer days. Has your diverticulitis finally calmed down? I hope so.
 
A peaceful Sunday evening to all. We have had a lovely weekend. I hope all of you have also.

@Glamg1979, my youngest brother that is now cancer free, after having a diagnosis of Stage 4 Colon Cancer, cut out all gluten, sugar, and other things - he is a true believer that certain foods can really have negative effects on our bodies. I need to cut out carbs to lose weight. :boohoo: As I have attained a "certain age", I find losing weight is almost impossible without cutting carbs. I will be joining you as soon as I can normalize my eating. Hopefully, by Spring when the vegetables and strawberries at the farm come in, I will be able to eat them. Good luck!

@KarriB, at least someone now can understand what all you went through! Popcorn is my ULTIMATE food craving. I had braces as a 40 year old and all I could think of was being able to eat popcorn when they came off. I am REALLY obsessed with popcorn. When I got my braces off, the orthodontist's office had made me a basket filled with different kinds of popcorn! Ha! With the diverticulitis, no popcorn yet. Give Piper my share. :thumb: My husband popped some the other night and I just about cried I wanted some so badly! :gaah:

@karol723, Charlie is not the least bit interested in eating carrots. I bought some, gave him one, and he just took it to his bed and laid on it. He did this twice. Guess I will eat the carrots!

@newlybionic, Marian, IF there are potato chips in my house, they don't last long! I am trying to only give Charlie healthy food or dog treats. I eat the chips! :heehee: Charlie loves to sit in my husband's lap. He is going to be a real lap dog. He is walking all around the yard and has run a couple of times. He seems to be coming out a little bit in his personality. He barked for the first time in 3 weeks yesterday! he was chewing on his elk antler and just barked twice. My husband and I were startled! Ha! So far, he is not living up to the noisy beagle reputation. The diverticulitis? I thought it was doing better, but enjoyed some cantaloupe and then had lettuce on my grilled hamburger and something set it off again. Maybe one day it will stop. I hope so. Thank you for asking. I appreciate it.
 
Hi Janis! How are you feeling? How's Charlie doing? Have you found his 'treat' that he loves? Hopefully you can enjoy some popcorn soon.
 
Hi Marian. I am having a another bout of the diverticulitis. I am so tired of this. It would be nice to eat and not worry about having terrible abdominal pain or diarrhea. Sorry - feeling sorry for myself. No popcorn for me.

Charlie is doing great! Today, he picked up his tennis ball (for the first time) and started running and throwing it around. He was so cute. I think he is getting comfortable now. He is accepting any treats now!

Thank you for asking. I have been trying to keep up with your two threads. It won't be long now for your surgery!! Praying for a GREAT outcome!
 
Janis, I'm sorry to hear that your diverticulitis is still acting up. I hope you can catch a break soon.

I'm glad Charlie is settling in. Now that he is accepting treats it might be time to start making him work for them. Simple things at first like a sit, or eye contact with you or your husband before getting a treat. I even make my dogs work a little bit for their meals. I prepare their meals and set them down. Then I ask them to sit and wait until I release them to eat. I usually don't need to ask them to sit anymore. They just sit and stare at me until I release them with an "OK".
 
@smarttoys. Thank you John! I have been working on the "sit" command. We are always working on "come". Charlie's beagle brain engages sometimes! Hahahaha! It was so good to see him PLAY today! We had given him a bath and after he dried, we went in the backyard. He found the tennis ball (which he had ignored all the other times when we tried to get him to play) and just started running and throwing the ball around. It was really touching to see the shy, timid dog have fun. My husband then started throwing it and he would run after it. He came back, but went behind my husband still playing. We are working on the stairs now also. So much to teach him. Now, if we can just keep him out of the cat's bowls, I will be happy. Do you use a prong collar? I don't want to use one on him since he coughs - we are just using lots of praise and now treats. Our good friends think we should get one. I believe he will come around with lots of love and direction. Have you gotten your daughter a dog yet for trials?
 
Super to hear Charlie is coming around, not so super that the diverticulotis is still making itself known. :puppysmooze:
 
Janis, we have three dogs now and we are not allowed any more in our township. My daughter will need to keep working with the dogs we have for now.

I bet it was great watching Charlie relax and have some fun. You do have your work cut out for you with keeping him out of the cat dish. Beagles can easily become overweight if they eat too much. The dog trainer at the Humane Society said that if she were a dog she would be a beagle. She just can't turn down a treat.:dogsniff:

I'm not a fan of prong collars. I've had great results with positive reinforcement training. That's why I mentioned to always try to keep training fun and short with tasty treats so that the dog is always wanting more. The same with play. If you find something that your dog really enjoys doing then you need to stop the play session before the dog becomes too tired or bored with it. Always keep him wanting more. It's a good way to help build a relationship with your dog. I do use some voice negatives occasionally to correct some unwanted behaviors but training sessions and play sessions need to be fun fun fun!

For coming when called, don't call him if you don't think he will come. If he's doing something more interesting at the time then he just learned that he can ignore you if he wants to. When you have his attention and he does come when you call, you need to make a big deal out of it. Treats, praise, etc. I've had my current dogs for over three years and I still praise and treat them every time they come when called. It could save their lives someday. By the way, I was able to call Buddy away from chasing a rabbit a couple days ago when I had him off leash on a hike.

I'm rambling now. Did I mention that I like dogs?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Janis,
So sorry to read about your diverticulitis--I hope it eases very soon.
I am enjoying hearing about your beagle. I have greyhounds myself-
Another breed that needs to be handled with positive reinforcement and patience
and a focus on fun. It sounds like Charlie is going to start inventing all sorts of fun for the three of you.
I'm convinced that dogs can invent games to play and LOVE it when you get it and join in the fun as well.
There are a couple of very good harnesses these days, that take pressure off our dogs necks and reinforce
comfortable walking together without any pulling. You might look into these sport and ergonomic harnesses.
I think they are so much more comfortable and work so much better than a prong collar.
Jan
 
Thanks John for the great advice as always!

@jarabas. Jan, Thank you for the advice! We are using a harness. We had to since he pulled and we weren't going to use a slip or choke collar on him. The harness we have is a Two Hounds Design harness with a ring at the front of the harness as well as a ring on the back. Coming from a hunting pack, we were having a lot of trouble getting him to walk on the leash. He is doing much better now with the harness and leash. You are right about Charlie entertaining us! Our cat is still figuring him out, but they seem to be getting along pretty good.

When I got up today, I didn't think about my knee. It is getting better except for the one place. That place hurts when I have the leg bent or have been on it for awhile. A real stabbing pain. If I can get this healed, Ralph will be on his way! I am struggling a bit keeping the foot pointing ahead - it is slightly angled to the side. Has anyone had this?

I hope everyone has a wonderfilled day. Whether you are recovering in the fast lane or have a flat tire and are running on the rim, life always has something to be thankful for. I forget this some days. My daughter told me she thought I had been depressed since my surgery. That surprised me but also reminded me that we can get lost in our pity parties and lose sight of the little recoveries we experience each day. Our mental recovery is just as important as our physical recovery. TKR is such a hard recovery at first and takes a long time for normalcy and complete healing. I need to remember that even if I make baby steps, they are still propelling me forward. I have had a terrible time with the diverticulitis. It has thrown me for a big loop and changed my life. I look forward to a time when it is managed or levels out. These type of road blocks are hard to look past and I guess that perhaps yes, I have been discouraged. I took care of my mother for two years and after her death, I thought I would finally have my knee fixed and have my life back. God has had a different path for me. Today, I am going to try and remember my small victories and practice thankfulness. I wish you a day that makes you thankful - even if it is being thankful for the breath you are able to take.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom