Guest viewing is limited

TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch! I hate it when I hit my knees on the cabinets, desk and everything else I can hit into! I feel very clumsy sometimes. If you want to believe my old OS (:heehee:) he had said no kneeling for 6 months. Take that advice for what it's worth. I'd be afraid to kneel because I don't think I could ever get myself back up again.
 
Marian, I can be a clutz when I get my mind on something and don't pay attention to being careful. My father was an amputee, so I learned lots of ways to get up! I also had my PT show me how to get up after one of my scopes after I had broken my wrist. Try getting up with a bad knee and a bad wrist! THAT is funny. When is your appt with the new OS?
 
I still find it extremely uncomfortable to kneel. I've had to do it a few times and there was pain involved. :gaah:
 
My appointment is the 24th. Waiting for this has seemed to take forever! I have no idea how long after that I will have to wait for the surgery. I'm hoping it won't be too long.
 
Good luck with the kneeling. I haven't tried it on my left knee as my scar is tender and a ridge of scar tissue. I have a couple of times on my right and I don't like it at all. Very uncomfortable and a little painful. My OS perfers I don't kneel at all. So I don't feel the need to. If I have to I'll try knee pads or use a low mechanics stool.
 
I thought kneeling was on the list of big NO NOs?!! @Celle it would seem that's not the case?



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Janis, that sounds painful. I can sympathize a bit because it seems like I'm always bumping my knee at work. There are a lot of sharp edges and obstacles to negotiate.

I have knelt lightly on my new knee but my scar is still a bit too sensitive to put much weight on it.
 
I'm a really good bender! So I manage to do most eveurything by bending. When the remote falls under the bed that's an issue. I usually need to use a cane to fish it out. But I've never "stored" things under furniture, so I only need help with moving furniture to clean under it at times. If you're going to try it use pillows, it hurt ALOT when I had to kneel on cement after falling in November.
 
That's what mine was also - kneeling on a concrete floor after a fall. And that was on a 1 1/2 yr old tka knee and it was painful. And that knee's scar is flat and smooth. I can't imagine kneeling for any length of time to do work. Ouch!
 
You all have convinced me to wait until I see the OS on March 2. He did tell me not to climb any ladders or step stools and to avoid steep inclines. My painting project will just have to wait! :happydance: Is it the kneeling on the excess scar that hurts? The metal of the prosthetic? What causes the pain? Have you ever stopped and given any thought to .... I have a metal knee! Amazing.

The ice and snow have melted. Only in NC can you have ice and snow on Monday and have a cookout on Saturday. It will be 60 on Saturday! I hope everyone enjoys their day!
 
I thought kneeling was on the list of big NO NOs?!! @Celle it would seem that's not the case?
Depending on the OS's protocol, some are allowed to kneel. I was allowed to kneel after six months, so that the button on the backside of the patella would be firmly healed in place.

I try not to kneel, as it feels weird. If I have to, I use a couple of cushions--one under each knee.
 
Hi Janis glad things are improving on your side of the world. It sounds like Charlie is really enjoying the yard,I know my 4 legged kids can't wait to get out the front door everyday to explore the yard. As far as Ralp ouch bumping him it's still so tender. Btw kneeling on knees I attempted it last week while doing execercises with my daughter, it felt strange but I did manage to kneel. I did buy one of those gardening knee foam pieces at Home Depot and that really makes it comfortable. So go buy one it's about $10 it was really good on the knees.:wink:

Hope you have great week and it's not to cold we are enjoying 80-90 degree temps here in California it's crazy 20 degrees above average. I am not complaining its good on the knees.
:flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
I thought kneeling was on the list of big NO NOs?!! @Celle it would seem that's not the case?
It all depends on your surgeon's protocol and advice.

If you have a patella button, you may need to wait about 6 months before kneeling.

I can kneel, but I don't like the feeling, so I don't do it very often. However, I'm really glad that I taught myself how to do it. My entire house would have been flooded f I had not been able to kneel to turn off the water supply in th middle of the night.
 
Hi Janis, sorry the diverticulitis is flaring up again! Sheesh! You need a break.

We also have a rescue dog. She was very timid and even afraid of the cats (80 lb lab/german shorthair mix) when we got her. It took quite awhile for her to really acclimate and show her true personality, which is quite silly. Wouldn't have guessed that at first. It took a long time with her, partly because she was much older (7 when we got her) and we messed up on introducing the cats. They told us she got along with cats (which I think to them meant she doesn't chase them), so we didn't do the gradual intro we should have. Our cats are used to having a really friendly dog (our last dog raised one of the cats). Anyway, the cats (especially the young one) were trying to be welcoming by rubbing on the front of the dog, and that is quite rude in dog language, plus she was really scared when they came up behind her and would snap at them (very scary- thought we might have to give her back). Anyway, we ended up going to a dog behaviorist who showed us techniques for gradually desensitizing the dog to the cats. It seemed like it took forever at the time, but now they all get along, and she is quite affectionate and happy. We also had to desensitize her to being in a crate, even while we were there (part of the cat desensitizing). "High value" treats are definitely important. For ours it was string cheese, hot dogs, or freeze dried liver. Otherwise, we thought she wasn't food motivated either, but for the right food, she was! Good luck with your little guy!
 
I had an epiphany this morning. As I was rubbing my scar with lotion, I realized that when someone asks me "Janis, how are you doing? Or Janis, how is your knee?", they really don't want to know that I went down the stairs like a big girl or that my scar is looking great. They also don't want to know that Ralph hurts like the dickens and swells like a puffer fish when a tiger shark swims by. All they want to hear is a pleasant "I am doing great" so they don't have to figure out a reply. There are a few friends that genuinely want to know and I feel the people on this site do care - because you "get it". You know what it means after surgery when the sheet on your knee causes pain, when you can't look at food because your pain meds make you nauseous, or when you are so happy to have a visit from the Poop Fairy (or NOT in my case! Hahahaha!). You "get it" because we have all been traveling on the same journey toward recovery, albeit some of us have had some mighty nasty potholes and others have had sinkholes to rival the one that swallowed all those corvettes. The pleasantries of this life dictate we ask "how are you?". I just need to remember the proper response is not an epistle about total knee replacement recovery. So, to the many people that share this journey, I ask you...."How are you doing this beautiful day?"
 
You are so right ! Thank goodness we have each other to share our ups and downs with.I have just started responding to questions with " I'm getting there, it takes a long time". Seems people can handle that without their eyes glazing over waiting for our response to end. They really can't understand what we go through, hopefully they never have to. By the way, thanks I am seeing little improvements every day. I can drive now, so important to get some independence back. Hope your having a good day too.
 
Like Karol my normal response is that "I'm getting there, it takes a while". I know people don't really want to know. Most people think you are doing great just because you are out and walking around normally.

By the way I'm doing fine today, I'm getting there, it takes a while.:rotfl:
 
Oh I learned that lesson long ago. For the most part that people don't really want to know. I find it sad that I feel I have a happy face mask on most days regardless to how I feel. Very, very rarely will I hear - how are you really doing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom