TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again, I could not manage to go to church because of my symptoms. I will do my devotions at home and hope to get over this soon!
Janis, I'm sorry you're still having this trouble. It's gone on for more than long enough - I'm sure you think so, too!

When do you see the gastro-enterologist?
Did any of the tests you had include one for giardia? My mother developed diarrhea that lasted for months and giardia turned out to be the cause.
 
@Celle, thank you. Yes, I think it is about time to be over! My appt is the 26th. The only test I had was the C-Diff test and it was negative. My only thought is: it is due to the acute diverticulitis attack (when I was also having horrendous diarrhea from the morphine withdrawal) and my intestines are scarred and inflammed. With the energy drain from the TKR and from the diarrhea, I am so worn out. Thank goodness for soft wipes and A&D. Sorry if TMI, but that is the question people keep asking me!!! :yikes::bolt: I am expecting more bloodwork and a colonoscopy after I have my GI appt. My OS wants me to wait at LEAST 3 months from surgery before having any procedures for infection prevention. I have my CT scan from the hospital when I was diagnosed with the diverticulitis- so I won't have to repeat that. This is the 5th week now. And to think, I used to work really hard to get a Poop Fairy visit!:chuckmarch: :heehee::heehee:
 
Baby wipes with aloe feel very soothing for :chuckmarch: attacks. They just seemed to calm that area down. I hope someone cancels their GI appt and you can get in sooner.
 
My OS wants me to wait at LEAST 3 months from surgery before having any procedures for infection prevention.
Well, that's the ideal, I suppose, but sometimes circumstances intervene and it is necessary to have other procedures earlier. We can't all live in an ideal world.

In your case, this persistent diarrhea must be so debilitating that it's probably having an adverse effect on your recovery anyway.

It's only my opinion, but I think it could be a good idea to ask to be tested for other pathogens apart from C-diff, just to rule them out from the diagnosis.

You could well be right in suspecting that you have developed an irritated and inflamed bowel. :console2:
 
@KarriB, it is!! I get up, go, eat, an hour later, go, then another hour,go. I had been ok for the rest of the day until @10:00pm., when I would go again, but have had two "off schedule" times. THAT was not good. I had at least gotten where I could manage to go to work for a few hours or run to the store.
 
Do you eat a large breakfast? Have you tried different foods or eating a larger meal later in the day? @KarriB may have picked up on something. Do you take a new medicine in the morning than you used to? It might be useful to keep track of what and when you eat or take medicines and write it down. Your GI might be able to find a pattern. I had to do that when I had to go to my GI.
 
My best friend has VIPoma. One of the symptoms is watery diarrhea (tmi I'm sure), but hers came mostly in the middle of the night and early morning. She's in remission now, so it's not as bad.
 
So sorry to hear you're having this problem. Hope the cause is figured out real soon, you must be exhausted by all this.
 
Marian, no, I do not eat a large breakfast. large meals make my stomach hurt now. The ONLY meds I take now is an 81 mg aspirin (as a preventive since my brother has colon cancer) and I take a probiotic, Florastor. I rarely take an Extra Strength Tylenol when my knee hurts too much.

Karri, I haven't heard of that, I will look it up. Thank you.
 
Janis I'm so sorry this has been going on so very long. I really do hope that you will finally be able to put this all in the past.
 
I'm not thinking you have VIPoma (it is a type of pancreatic cancer). It's just another case of the symptom coming at the same time no matter what occurs. I'm sure it has to do with the diverticulosis or perhaps a med you took.
 
I'm impressed you take nothing for pain for being 2 months post-op. I like the others was going to suggest a food diary. This is just my opinion and nothing proven, but I think anesthesia and stress changes your body tolerance sometimes. Things that didn't bother you before may now irritate your system. For instance dairy. Or some new supplement. Have you always been taking that probiotic or did you just start when the diarreha started. Of course I'm grasping at straws. Just ideas. I wouldn't wait until the 26th for your dr appt. I would call them and tell them exactly what's going on. Surely doctors schedules allow for "emergency" type cases.
 
Hi Janis sorry you are still being plagued by the poop fairy. As far as biking I also have a recumbent bike at home and try to ride every day 10-15mins it definately helps. I ice if it feels tight. Today has been one of those days that both knees are a little achy but it is cold here for California standards. So have iced and tried to elevate as much as possible. I am still sleeping at night with my trusty ice machine and thank you lord am sleeping much better than before surgery. I still get quite tired by the end of the day.
Take care ☺️
 
Thank you all for being so kind. I truly appreciate it. It has been a difficult time and knowing you care makes it more tolerable.

@midwest girl, I have been to my GP three times through all of this. She is the one that suggested a probiotic. I did start taking it when I was in that first week of it all. I stopped it to see if it was causing it, and it made no difference. Florastor is mainly suggested for diarrhea as it survives the stomach acid and makes it all the way to the intestines. I am watching dairy right now - so we shall see what it does. Grasp at all the straws you want! I am open to anything. I am so sensitive to medications, that the side effects are worse than the pain. I am used to pain - I have had it since my accident 6 years ago when I injured the knee. I could not have made it at first without that morphine though - side effects or not!

@KarriB, I am sorry your friend has that. I am not one to worry I have some strange illness, so no worry there. It is odd how it occurs. Thank you.
 
Good evening. I worked at the farm today trying to get things rounded up for the year end. It sure is hard to concentrate sometimes. Sitting in front of a roaring fire and looking out a picture window, at the quiet farm is very peaceful. Then, it is back to the computer and numbers! :reading: Then, the fire warms me up and I get sleepy! :yawn: Ralph does NOT like to be in a bent postion hanging down for any period of time. I propped him on a box, then that was uncomfortable. It really is hard to figure this out. I managed 4.5 hours today and will try to work again on Thursday. Thankfully one of the guys is feeding the fire for me. It is a big oversized fireplace and the wood is cut longer than normal. I can't manage the squat it takes to put a log on the fire. I have always enjoyed the farm when it is closed to the public - it is so peaceful and serene.

I drove myself today. When I got ready to get out of my SUV, I realized how afraid I was of falling. Anyone else have those feelings at 2 months? Farmer Jane had both her knees replaced and got right back to work after each one. I can't be such a wimp! Hahahaha!:old: I think I will put the cane in the car just in case.
 
I always worry about falling. Mainly in the wintertime because I have to contend with snow and ice. One of the main reasons my OS's office got me a 6 month temporary handicap parking placard. If it's particularly icy I'll use the handicap parking spots. Wasn't an advantage today when I parked in the handicap parking spot at work today, I get out of my car onto packed snow and ice.
 
My cane has been living in my car just in case I find myself needing to walk somewhere where the ground is uneven or when I need to walk in snow. It's also great to keep kids away when you are out and about! At two months I still carried it with me most of the time. The last thing I wanted to do was fall.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom