TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. I tried the Saran Wrap on my knee last night. I was amazed that it worked! I didn't have that aching I have been having and surprisingly, MUCH less swelling when I got up. There wasn't that first painful step either. I will definitely try it again. I am in a jag of insomnia and would really rather not take something every night to help me sleep. Not having the aching pain should help.

It will be nice to drive, although, since I haven't driven in 8 weeks, I need to get my confidence back up. We figure the Xarelto put me about two weeks behind in my recovery - at least.

What a journey we all have. If someone asked you, what was it really like - what would you tell them? Would you tell them about the pain? The long recovery? The swelling?

I hope you all have a day filled with God's grace and glory.
 
The last couple of weeks I used the Saran Wrap. I haven't needed it this past week. I wonder who first thought "I'm going to wrap saran wrap around my knee"? It's amazing that something so simple can really make that much difference in the pain at night.

If someone asked me what it's been like I would be completely honest. As with any surgery there is always the good with the bad. I'm hoping that one day 6 months down the road when someone asks me I will be able to tell them exactly what it was like but it was all worth it.
 
The Saran wrap wormed for me too but haven't had to use it for a couple of weeks now.

If someone asked me what it was like I would also be honest & say it has its ups & downs, but be patient & it does get better as the weeks go by. Ask me the same question in a year's time & I will hopefully say it was all worth the roller coaster ride that it takes to recovery.
 
Congratulations on a good doctor's visit and being cleared to drive!!!!!!!
How exciting!!!!
Enjoy your freedom!!!!

I didn't do the Saran Wrap on my first knee...it just seemed too strange, and I couldn't find my six-shooter.
(Women of a certain age may remember THAT nonsense!!!!!)
It was also summertime and the sheet on my legs didn't bother me much.
However, flannel sheets and a formidable comforter were a different story for #2!
I was totally astounded at how well it worked. I also was glad for Josephine's tip that a single piece of wrap with lotion will stay on quite nicely.
 
@jojo9610, I have often wondered who thought to eat some of the things we eat and who thought to first milk a cow? :rotfl:

JoJo, and @suemegane, you both have the one thing that will make your journeys worth it - you both have hope that one day, it will have been worth all the pain, laughter, and bumps in the road.
 
@Gramanator57!, The covers never have bothered me, it is just the aching that you notice when you are in bed. I am glad it worked for you too! I was afraid to try the single piece - didn't it come off in the night? I think I will use a lighter lotion tonight. A nice side effect - soft knee! Perhaps I should wrap my body in this stuff! Hahaha!
 
If we wrap ourselves in it, chew gum and spit in a cup all day, coach says we can wrestle 5th graders!!!
(Sorry, obscure TV show reference!!)

I was so surprised that it stayed on that way.
I smear a line of lotion above, below and down the sides of my knee...basically the size and shape of the piece of wrap and then just lay it on. I do this sitting on the edge of the bed with my knees bent.
(It's funny, I just realized I'm still afraid to smear stuff right on my scars even though they are both healed!)
Weird.
 
I used saran wrap combined with gabapentin last night. My knee felt great but I couldn't sleep right away due to some heartburn. We had a pretty spicy supper. If it's not one thing it's another. I slept pretty well after my stomach settled down.

I don't know if saran wrap works very well for me but I do like the fact that my knee is more limber and my skin is soft in the morning.
 
Yay you can drive it's like getting your license for the first time again Very good os report the new year is starting off just right. The recumberant bike is great I got up to 13 mins yesterday at home. Both knees are cooperating. Keep it up. Take care.
:loveshwr::egypdance::cheers:
 
@smarttoys, John, my gastroenterologist told me if I had indigestion to lay on my left side - that way the stomach acid doesn't come up due to our anatomy. It does make a difference. Just something to try next time. Was your leg moist when you unwrapped it? Mine was - not sure from the thick cream or sweating under the wrap. It was nice to have a limber knee.

@macduf387, Madeleine, great news on your biking! Today is a PT day, so I haven't started mine. I did all my other exercises and stretches though. Hubby is a little reluctant to turn me loose. We have been through so much with Ralph, I think he is fearful of something else happening. I am so lucky to have him.
 
@Timetolive thanks for the tip. I'll have to remember to give that I try next time.

Yes my leg is pretty moist when I unwrap it in the morning. Probably a combination of the lotion and sweat under the wrap. I've been using lotion under the saran wrap that I just purchased from Amazon. It's called "Toulon Replenishing Body Cream". It has good reviews. It's unscented and fairly thick. I just started using it so I don't know if it's a ton better than anything else quite yet. Before that I used the baby lotion that was given to me in the hospital.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Janis,

I've been tied up in relocating my mom to NC and haven't read the forum in a couple weeks. I'm so glad that things are moving in the right direction for you with the PT. The rest will come soon. Take care.
 
In regards to future TKA patients I would tell them the truth - the good, the bad and the ugly. And that it is a long recovery that gets a little easier each week in small ways. I would tell them to be kind with themselves and not to be too hard on themselves. And above all else not to compare their journey or progress with anyone else's. But in the end it's worth it.
 
Saran wrap was amazing but some nights I couldn't tolerate it. Now after reading these posts I think it was because I wrapped the stuff all the way around the knee. Next knee I will use the lotion trick and just a sheet of Saran wrap.
Good news that you have been cleared to drive!! I was back driving at 8 weeks but husband still does most of the driving.
I have been truthful with my friend about my surgery, first few weeks necessitated pain medication around the clock and majority of it to me is the recovery is aggravating and annoying. One of my friends scared me no end when she told me how it was worse than childbirth, she woke up in recovery crying in pain, hardest thing she has ever gone through, etc....
Granted it is major surgery and should not be taken lightly but my pain control was good. My feelings are that surgical technique had a lot to do with it. Researching your OS is very important.
 
Ok I don't understand this Saran Wrap thing. I've seen the one video where the guy wrapped it entirely around his knee joint. And this is to relieve achiness and stiffness in the morning? So what's with the single piece? And where is that applied?
 
@midwest girl I used it when my incision/scar was extremely sensitive. I think the bedcovers, icing, etc. continually rubbing on it sets the nerve endings off. If kept on all night it also traps your body heat and the joint stays warm and helps with aching. First time I used it was sweet relief, scar sensitivity disappeared.
 
Ok I don't understand this Saran Wrap thing. I've seen the one video where the guy wrapped it entirely around his knee joint. And this is to relieve achiness and stiffness in the morning? So what's with the single piece? And where is that applied?
I think it works for sensitivity. It did for me first knee was hyper sensitive when healing. I just wrapped one layer over scar and around and it settled down.

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 
@midwest girl, I do not have sensitivity issues, I have aching that keeps me awake at night. I rubbed lotion on my knee, then wrapped Saran Wrap around it - not tight. Josephine stated on the thread about it here on Bonesmart that she only put one layer on her knee and it worked for her that way. When I woke this morning, and removed the wrap, my knee was not as swollen, not stiff, and I did not have that first painful step. I also did not have that awful aching in my knee all night. I am sure different people use it for different reasons, but this is why I did and it worked for me. If you have the aching, it is worth a try - what have you got to lose other than some Saran Wrap?
 
That's good to know. I have aches on my shin. I'm going to try tonight. Still have the wrap here by my bed. I thought it was for sensitivity. THANKS...I got cleared for driving and no more pt today! Feel like I'm getting out of jail after 4 months and 2 kness!

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom