Guest viewing is limited

TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely keep a cane in the car. You never know when you may need it. I'm sure the farm has uneven ground and you may just use it for getting in and out if the car.
 
Duly noted! I will put the cane in the car!

I had PT today and I think I am going back off to once a week until I see the OS again. No measurement today, but they stretched me for extension and flexion. I also worked on balance, squats, and some of the machines. They gave me some bands to use also. I feel I can do much of this at home along with my recumbent and the walking the OS wants me to do. It has been a question on my mind as to when to stop PT. Also, Ralph is reallllly unhappy after PT.

I called the gastro's office to see if they had a cancellation. No, she is booked until the end of March. It is only 2 more weeks.

I hope everyone is enjoying life!
 
If Ralph is really unhappy he's telling you something. Between going to work and all it involves to get there, extra walking, home exercising and having to fight all your GI problems you are already doing a lot. You have to consider that it has only been a little over two months. Time for both you and Ralph to make sure you have time to rest.
 
Hi Marian. Ralph and I just piddled today. I have been battling with the cable company and spent a good part of my day installing a converter that was a replacement for one that didn't work. Of course, it didn't work either after I took the under the counter tv down to install the cables and put it back up. Did you know that leaning over a counter contorting to hold a tv/cd player/radio while you screw four 3 inch screws in, really hurts your knee? Ha! Then I made my Darling some cookies while he was volunteering at the hospital and then straightened up the house. Yep, Ralph is tired and angry.

The tummy troubles are still here, although I have learned to schedule life around them. Thanks for asking!
 
You made cookies!? You are my hero! :wowspring:
Don't know where you found the energy!
Just the fact that you are only 8 weeks post op I find that impressive. Do you find your lower intestinal problems are also draining your energy? Have you had any improvement at all and are you still losing weight?
Sounds like the new knee is doing really well. Just need to get rid of :chuckmarch:.
 
Congrats! You are doing great, but just a word to the wise, go easy. I thought I had it made at 8 weeks and started on the bike, walking around the block a couple times a day along with other exercise and today, I am at 11 weeks and the physical therapist told me to shut down the exercise and give my knee a rest, that I had done too much and my knee was inflamed. In retrospect, I wish that I had actually slept more and done about half of what I was doing but I was just too impatient. At this point, I think I understand what this forum is trying to advocate, and that is - take it easy baby!
 
@Glamg1979, don't get too excited, I sat on a stool most of the time and it was a mix he had bought. When I asked him (the man that does NOT cook), who was going to make them, he said he was - 4 weeks ago. :shrug: My brother was stopping in to have lunch with me, so I wanted to have something for him also. Ralph hurts still. I have a very sore place on the medial side of my kneecap and above. If it wasn't for that, things would be much better. As for the intestinal issues - they are still here, although it is getting somewhat better. Down to twice in the mornings now. I had cut out dairy and that seems to be making a difference, although I had some dairy and it didn't set things off, so I just don't know. I am not losing weight now, but not gaining. I have been trying to eat more protein to build myself up - in particular the Boost Protein drink. It has a lot of calories, but one a day is not making me gain (which I don't want to do!) I need to lose weight, but right now, I just want to get well, heal my knee, and then I can focus on that. It was very kind of you for asking. Oh, yes, BIG energy drain. I am always tired and have to force myself to do things.

@Naomi60, Rene, you have a good therapist. Mine would just tell me to keep it up! :bawl:My OS told me to start walking and to work up to 20 minutes on the bike w/no resistance. I look forward to being able to walk around the block, but I am very careful about my distance and how tired I get. I am really proud of you for being able to walk so much! You are really doing great! I will take your advice and go slow. Thanks!
 
Just stopping in to say hi!! :hi:
Sounds like troubles are down to a dull roar???

I have been finding it hard to not do too much lately.
We rented a dumpster to do a household purge while both kids were around from work and college. I have the role of the fearless leader for this (any) project.:heehee:
My dear husband is really bad at throwing stuff away, so it is a bit of an archeological dig as well.
I enjoy creating order from chaos ( I'm so weird) so I get going and just don't feel the swelling start until it is too late. It is also new that my energy level has passed my knees' ability to do stuff.

I've heard there is a mystical patience ATM out there...have you found it perchance??? :shrug:
 
That "P" word is not in my vocabulary! I cannot imagine doing what you are facing on my knee yet - and I am ahead of you! I wish my Darling would throw stuff away - he is the opposite.

Sounds like troubles are down to a dull roar???

I could not have thought of a better description! :rotfl: I love it!
 
Janis, I agree, don't worry about the protein drink adding calories. You're right in thinking you need to heal then worry about the other stuff. Hopefully it will keep you from becoming dehydrated.
I hate dealing with computer/technology/cable problems! I've had a new tv since September, but have put off calling to switch to an HD box. Do you make house calls? Oh and bring the cookies with you! :heehee:
 
@KarriB, those cookies are long gone! Hahahaha! My Darling and brother both love sweets! I could make a cake - that is my specialty. I would love to make a house call - although.......I am ashamed to say sometimes not very ladylike words have been known to escape my mouth......not proud and pray fervently about it! :beg: Comes with growing up with three brothers. :rotfl: I do love to fix things and figure things out. How is your Dad doing? How are YOU doing?
 
Dad is moving right along. He's bending a bit more every week in an effort to tie that ever evasive left shoe! It bothers him so much that he can't tie that shoe yet!
I'm very happy it's a weekend and have Monday off. Gotta love three day weekends! Maybe I'll do some baking this weekend, but don't think I'll be calling the cable company though.
 
It sounds like you are finally on the upswing. I was going to ask for some cookies but @KarriB beat me to it. I don't need any help with my cable but my old laptop seems to have bitten the dust! Now's not the time to worry about your weight. That time will come. Healthy eating is probably the best way to go. It's only two months since your surgery and you have also encountered so many bumps in the road that would have slowed many people down yet you are really doing so well. Keep up the good work!:yay:
 
Hello Janis, I'm curious if your knee is feeling better from last Tuesday's PT session. If you think you are ready maybe it's time to consider doing your stretches and exercises at home at your own comfort level. It's a tough call to make. I miss going to PT but I can do everything at home and the gym except for a couple stretches that need another set of hands. I also miss the ROM measurements at PT. It gave me something to gauge my progress. I don't know for sure if I've gained any more range of motion in the last two weeks but I've been able to lower the exercise bike seat down quite a bit from where I started weeks ago to work on flexion.
 
@smarttoys, John, thank you for asking. I still have a terrible pain on the medial, upper side of my kneecap. Pain with the knee bent, walking, and sometimes a "jolt". I don't know if PT caused it, all I know is it is not getting better. I asked what goals I needed to meet before they thought I would be finished with PT last Tuesday, and I have met them all except for doing a lunge and picking up 10lbs while doing it. :thud: They asked if I could pick up something off the floor, and I said yes, then asked if I could pick something off the floor that weighs 10 lbs. Well, I do all the time.....our cat! She weighs 14 lbs! :catbutterfly: I already do exercises at home and they cut me some bands I can use around the ankles and do that sideways walk exercise ?? I guess the measurements are incentives, although I really think they are injuring my knee more when they put all their weight on it stretching for extension. The flexion stretches are painful also. I wouldn't mind the measurements if they would do them without the pushing. I have been building up my time on my recumbent and walking. PT told me to stop doing all the simple exercises like heel slides, leg lifts, short arcs, clenches, etc., saying we were way past them. If my knee could just heal, I feel like I can strengthen my quads more. I have no problem with balance - at all and do not walk with a limp unless I get really tired and swollen. It is a hard decision because I don't want to inhibit my recovery - either way. It sounds like you are doing a great job. Did you recover from the agility trials?
 
Janis, it sounds like you are ready to make a go of it on your own. I told my PT early on not to push down on my knee for extension. I told him I would work on it myself at home. He never touched it again. I hope your medial knee cap pain gets better soon. My pain in that area is still there but much less than it was earlier in my recovery. No sharp pains like it was, mostly just a dull pain when flexing. I like doing the rubber band side walks. My right hip is a little weak and these seem to work it out. I've added a few other moves with the rubber bands.

I think that most of my pains from falling last Sunday are gone. I wish I had another competition coming up soon but the next one will probably be in May. The facility that held the last competition is closing it's doors next month and relocating. The new location will hold some outdoor agility trials but they will have to wait til spring.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Timetolive Janis I think if you re-read your last post you really have your answer. You know what you need to do. You are doing so very well even without all the other problems you encountered. Lunges with weights seems to be way over the top right now. Judge your recovery by what you can do not a number you get from a therapist who is hurting you. If the therapist is hurting you they are not doing anything to speed your recovery at all.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom