TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks John and Marian. I don't want to disappoint my family either by quitting. There comes that people pleasing thing again.

John, @smarttoys, when I do the band side walks at PT it really made me sore, so I knew I needed to do more to strengthen those muscles. They cut me a band and tied it, although I think I will look into buying a solid band. What kind of band do you have? I am glad you have recovered from your fall.
 
If your husband read what you wrote then I bet he wouldn't be disappointed with you at all. The bands used are all different in their ability to stretch. It doesn't matter if they are tied. I know I had to concentrate on doing the side step and keeping my upper body still and just using my legs to move. I didn't use a band at all.
 
I agree with Marian. While I loved my pt and going to the location, I had no idea of my ROM number when I was done and I still have no idea. But I can go about my life with no pain, using stairs, riding my bike, walking through the school etc. I hate the thought of someone pushing down on your knee and causing pain. Plus, it is really too early to be doing weight training with your new knee. Hold off until you're 4 months after TKR. That's when my pt started strength training with weights and there was no pain involved at all. I'm hoping that medial pain will be gone soon.
 
I was told stairs are the very last thing you master. I was close to a yr post op before I could do those with absolutely no twinge of pain. I use no bands in PT with side steps. Side steps alone is enough. I don't use bands for any of my exercises. I do lunges (not deep lunges) with no weights. My OS does not like deep lunges at all - hard on the knees. There are ways to strengthen your quad without doing lunges. The only time weights are used at all with me are ankle weights while doing leg raises. Another quad strengthener & balance exercise is to stand one legged on your surgical knee/leg while standing on a piece of foam. I'm still in PT because I need the strength, balance & stamina for work. I can't wait weeks & months for the activity of everyday life to get me there. I would never make it through a work day. I work really well with my therapist and I'm not in pain on any exercises or measurements. I wasn't aware that insurance required measurements for payments. No where on my claims/paperwork etc does it say that. You also mentioned that you walk without a limp. The way I understand it is if you are walking with no limp you have a straight leg with full extension. Every person is different but it sounds to me like your ready to go it alone without formal PT. I can't imagine why your family would be disappointed in you if you quit PT and continue your exercises at home.
 
Janis, I purchase a set of rubber bands from Amazon before my surgery with the intent of using them for my recovery. They came in very handy after stopping PT. I put a couple of them in my pocket when I go to the gym. They are easily used at home but I like the extra room to move at the gym. I got a set of four with different tensions, light, medium, heavy, and extra heavy. I love that you can add resistance when you are ready by changing to a stronger band or doubling them up if needed. If you do a search on Amazon for "exercise bands" you will get quite a few to choose from. There are some nice 4 and 5 band sets that sell between $10 to $15. If I were to purchase another set I would get the "5 World Class Bands" for $14.97

As far as PT is concerned you need to make the choice that's best for you. Even though it's hard to know for sure what's best.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Janis I was just catching on your thread and I agree with the others pt does not seem to be helping you at the moment. I am proof that you can take a break and come back even stronger. You are doing great considering everything you have been through. You shouldn't be doing anything with weights yet. Give your knee a break just do some walking and your normal routine and that should be enough we all know if our knees are swollen you are not going to get more rom. Hang in there you are doing great.
 
You can do this yourself!! I did. I notice every week I am getting more and more active. Yes some days I am very tired and don't do much, whether that is from the TKR or my fibromyalgia I don't know, but it is what it is.
You are definitely not a quitter and you can get through this!
 
Good morning! Thank you all for the words of wisdom and much appreciated support. I have decided to stop PT. I ordered some bands (thanks @smarttoys, John) from Amazon to help those muscles. I could use the strengthening and firming up! :heehee: I also ordered a step. My stairs here at home are much higher that 4" and I cannot manage them ther than like a two year old toddler. Those things along with my recumbent bike, walking, and the other exercises should have me set to succeed on my own.

Today Ralph is 10 weeks old! Can you imagine? As I look back on my journey, I remember in the back of my mind the awful pain, but it has faded. That is why I think people that are removed time wise from their TKR, forget what you are going through. I am VERY pleased with my incision. What is Ralph like now? I find standing in one place for long, causes swelling and pain. I think Josephine says swelling is pain - yep - it is. I can walk without a limp, although when I get very tired and Ralph is swollen, I start to limp and favor that leg. The leg is not completely straight, although I know when the swelling goes away, it will be better. My swelling is mostly on the front of the knee and above the knee. I get a bad aching at night sometimes when I have done too much, but have found wrapping my leg in Saran Wrap really helps that. I can sleep on my side with no pillows now. My biggest pain continues to be a very sharp pain on the upper medial side of the kneecap. I wish I knew what is there and what has caused it. I ice twice a day (or when particularly sore) and use heat twice a day per my OS's direction. My only pain medication is an occasional extra strenght Tylenol. There is a tender area in my calf and I am doing stretches to help that. I finally have a normal colored leg - it is amazing how long it took the Xarelto bleed to absorb and clear. As far as the diverticulitis, I still have a nagging pain every now and then. The other issue seems better in that it has become only twice a day now. I see the gastroenterologist next Tuesday, the 26th. I write all of this to remind myself how far I have come and how far I have yet to go. Hopefully, it may help someone see what my journey has been like and they can see how we are all different and just need to keep moving forward.

Thank you all again for the continued support and friendship. It has made me feel understood, valued, and validated. We have shared some dark times, although the joy I have felt coming here, has far overshadowed those days. Be blessed and remember to find the joy in your day.
 
Great report Janis. Your really have been through a lot. In the grand scheme of things 10 weeks isn't a long time but it seems like forever when you just want to feel normal again. I hope your digestive issues continue to improve. I know you will do great on your own with the stretches, strengthening, and exercises.
 
@Timetolive, A few years ago I had severe gastro problems. So bad I was hospitalized, as I started bleeding. After tons of tests and being told it could be all sorts of scary things, I found out it was all caused from dairy !!! I now stay away from milk, cheese, creme sauces and anything containing these. I no longer have the problem. Don't know if this might help you, but its worth a try. I use soy milk, soy ice cream and also almond milk as a substitute. Coffeemate in my coffee(tried soymilk in coffee, yuk!). Hope you have a good day
 
When do you see your OS? I wonder what he would say about that pain on the medial side of your kneecap.
 
A few times now I've read about wrapping the knee with Saran Wrap. What does this do?
 
Thanks John! I got the bands you recommended.

@karol723, I did cut out dairy last week - it made a little difference, then I had a piece of pizza at church (just one to test the theory) and that greasy cheese did not bother me. Isn't there a test they can do to check that? A breath test or something?

@KarriB, I see the OS the first of February. It really got worse at PT - another reason to stop and let it all heal and rest.

@Scrunchkins, some people wrap their knees in the Saran Wrap because the knee is sensitive to touch and others like me, wrap it to help with the aching and pain at night. You put cream (I use lotion) on your knee and the wrap the knee in Saran Wrap (loosely). It will make your knee retain heat and mine gets sweaty. In the morning, I have much less swelling and the pain is gone. I am able to sleep through the night. The first time I did it, of course, it bothered me. I did it again and after getting used to it, I really appreciate what it does. There is a video on here or on YouTube showing how to do it. I just bought cheap store brand plastic wrap to try it. Here is the link: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/night-pain-solutions-using-moist-heat-and-clingfilm.12794/

We just got back from BJ's. That involved walking and standing for about an hour. I think that was the upper limit for Ralph. Home icing. The grocery store will have to wait.
 
Good morning! Thank you all for the words of wisdom and much appreciated support. I have decided to stop PT. I ordered some bands (thanks @smarttoys, John) from Amazon to help those muscles. I could use the strengthening and firming up!
I'm glad you've decided to quit PT, Janis.
This recovery is all about you. It's not about pleasing your therapist, your doctor or your family. You need to do what feels right for you.

In any case, you're back doing some work now, and many people quit PT at that stage, because they find that work itself is sufficient exercise for their knee.

Your muscles will gradually strengthen now, as you're more active, even without targeted exercises. Beware of doing too much strengthening, because it's still early days. We usually recommend waiting until at least 3 months before starting strengthening exercises, so take it easy. Just progress slowly. You'll know by now when to back off and rest - too sore, or too tired.
 
As far as making cookies for your brother--tell him not to come empty handed. :heehee:
 
Janis, my wife is lactose intolerant. After battling with some digestive problems she finally narrowed it down to dairy and requested to be tested for that. She still cheats with some regular dairy and takes lactaid pills. They help a little but they don't take away all the side effects of dairy. She also buys some of the lactose free dairy products.
 
Thanks @Celle. I will take your advice - thank you.

@kneeper, ha! This brother is actually a great cook. He even won a blue ribbon for his apple pie at the County Fair! I wish he would teach my husband how to cook!

@smarttoys, John, thank you for sharing that. So, there is a test for it? I did buy some of the lactose free milk today. The almond milk has so little protein! I will check into the Lactaid pills. I am really missing cheese toast in the mornings (since the morphine, sweets are not good!) feta on my salads, a nice cold glass of milk with my 1/2 peanut butter sandwich, ....hmmm....so much dairy! My youngest brother was the IT Manager at Tillamook in Oregon before he got cancer and would send me the best cheese! :bawl:
 
My wife is the same way. She loves cheese and dairy products. She is learning to adapt to the lactose free varieties of dairy products like cottage cheese, milk, ice cream, and some kind of lactose free cheese slices that aren't too bad on sandwiches and omelets. She still wishes she could eat basically anything she wants to like when she was younger.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great report Janis so glad you decided to leave pt I am sure you are going to be surprised on how much flexion and extension you are going to get without pt torture. :flwrysmile:
Yesterday I managed to get 9300 steps according to my fitbit :yes!::yes!::yes!: nearly 10,000. It felt good but was a little swollen. Just iced it overnight all good this morning. Remember each day is better than the last.
Have a great week and I hope those tummy troubles become but a distant memory. :wink:
PS I too love dairy and different cheeses are my favorite could not think of not drinking milk in my tea coffee ect.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom