TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly think you would have better results and would be more happy with your progress if you switched. Girl, you spent tens of thousands of dollars for that knee! Don't settle just because you think you may upset someone's feelings. I'm sure your surgeon has heard "no thanks" to his suggested therapists. If he or your cousins son gets upset because you chose to do what's best for you, then that's their problem not yours! Be brave! You can do it!
 
Bad PT! I have had experiences with a therapist over the years for other injuries and she was amazing!! She moved out of state :-( PT before knee surgery was terrible, therapist was juggling multiple patients at the same time. Would finish exercises and have to sit and wait for next instructions, then after a few sessions I knew the routine and did it myself. No comfort measures offered and only iced me at the 1st session. I quit them. Ridiculous to give them my money for that!!
I read that you said something about weights, as well as increasing them! Too soon for weights, no weights at this stage.
Please, please change PT groups.
 
Thank you all! I went to PT and after reading what all you have done and reading all the encouragement, I approached this session differently. I told them I wanted to change our approach and that I didn't think it should injure my knee or take weeks to recover. I also asked them about stretches and discussed the pain in my kneecap area. Things went very well this time. I felt better about it. I have a tendency to not want to rock the boat or hurt anyone's feelings. A real people pleaser. I did only make one appointment for next week. Since I am tied to the bathroom until 10:00 a.m, I am not able to work until the afternoon. This is my busiest time of year closing the books out and getting things ready for the accountant. Hopefully, I can get caught up next week. Again, thank you all for giving me the courage to speak up.

Midwestgirl mentioned the thousands of dollars spent on these knees. Have any of you added up your bills to see what it did cost before insurance? I am still getting some bills and I am right at $50,000.00 now. Thank goodness for insurance! Ralph is a very expensive date!
 
Good for you!! My knee w/o complications was $56,000 and like you say thank goodness for insurance! My part to pay was $1600.00. Unbelievable prices.
Glad PT session went better, proud of you for speaking up for yourself.
 
I'm amazed at the cost!

The total cost of my knee replacement, including the hardware, surgeon, anaesthetist and hospital charges (theatre, drugs, dressings, 5 days in-patient care), was $24,275.00 NZ dollars, of which my co-pay was $4,800.00.
 
I am so glad your PT went well!!!!!!
I had my first out-patient PT today and it went well.
I have done about 1/3 the exercises I did on the first knee, and I think I am progressing faster this time.

It is challenging to stand up for yourself sometimes, but it is worth it.
And...I bet people still like you!!!!!

:giggle:
 
Thankful for my great insurance! Even with both my surgeries, meds, 22 days in hospital or transition care, home nurses, home pt, and out patient pt my out of pocket was under $500 and that was mostly due to the deductible starting again in January. Soooooo thankful! But because I had never really been sick except for Hashimoto's disease, I hadn't used my health insurance much.
 
I had terrible health insurance and was paying for it through Cobra at 650 a months for premiums for 7 months. With that and copays I've spent between 15,000 to 17,000 out of pocket for this botched surgery. So I win the dollar award!:bricks:

I'm glad you spoke up to the PT and he actually agreed with you. You'll get the best results doing that. The only one really looking out for you is you! ( and your DH of course). It's a shame that it has to be that way.
 
I haven't figured out all my costs yet. But I have really good insurance with no deductible. The hospital bill was $37,000 and my share was $500. Surgeon costs me $200 and I pay nothing for anesthesiology or surgical assistant, or labs for weekly INR checks. Meds costs are pretty minimal. PT is just my co-pay for each visit (which went up this year). The only thing I'm worried about is the wound center. Each visit costs $200 and I go 2x/wk and have gone for several weeks now. the lab alone to culture the wound was $500. The Center is affiliated with the hospital so I don't know if it will be a hospital or clinic fee. I'm praying I will only have to pay a co-pay. I'm truly grateful for health insurance!
 
Wow @newlybionic that is a lot to pay out of pocket. I hope you get better insurance that would certainly break the piggy bank.

Janis @Timetolive yay you stood up to pt so glad it went better and have fun with year end I have to do the same
W2 finalize books for cpa ect a busy month. At least my office is at home. Have a great week.☺️
 
Good afternoon. I had my two month appointment with my OS today. He was concerned about my continuing diarrhea and my nutritional intake. Gotta keep the protein up! The pain I have been having on the medial side of the knee cap: even though the incision is straight, there is a circular cut that swings out to the medial side of the knee used to move the kneecap under the top layer. So, I am to do a deep massage in that area to break up any scar tissue that may be along that incision. He was very pleased with my incision and said it was very "soft" and not attached to any tissue underneath - that would indicate scar tissue. THAT was good. He was also very pleased with my progress considering everything I have been through with the Xarelto. We talked about PT and he is sending them a note that I should be on the bike. I am to start walking several times a day and ride the recumbent bike beginning 10 minutes and build up 1 minute a day until I reach 20 minutes. All in all, a good visit with encouraging news. No step ladders, steep inclines, and do not fall! Oh!!! I can drive!!
 
Sounds like a good report on the knee. Hopefully your other issues clear up soon.
 
:yes!::happydance::dancy:Hooray for driving!!!!! That sounds like a great report. I'm glad you're doing well!! Do you have a bike at home or is that at PT only? Keep it going!!! :egypdance:
 
Wow! What a great visit you had! Congratulations, biking and driving! Now if the stomach would just cooperate!
 
Thanks everyone! I received a coupon for a free "Birthday Burger" from Red Robin, so I thought that would be a good celebration for the day. Also, we could split the burger since I can't eat much at a time. It sure was nice to be out and not have to worry about cooking!
 
I hope you enjoyed your birthday burger! Did your DH get to eat all the bottomless fries? It's really nice to hear your getting out and about and starting to enjoy life again after everything you've been through.
 
Sounds like your appointment went very well! Congratulations on getting to drive!! It makes life so much easier to be able to take care of one's own transportation. Now to get your "symptoms" taken care of and you will be golden.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom