TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy New Year Janis I pray the c-diff test is negative and the New Year is full of good things and most important that you regain your health. :cheers:
 
Good morning and Happy New Year to all! I was unable to get on the site yesterday and missed you. I had a lovely birthday, although a quiet one. The surprise party was postponed until a later date. My daughter and my brother still came and we had our traditional meal of blackeyed peas, turnip greens, ham, cornbread, and my favorite cake, Bishop Bread. I started the Flagyl last night for the possible C-Diff and went to bed. The nausea is not too bad so far.

I hope everyone had a nice New Year and your recovery is progressing. Have a wonderful day.
 
I hope the Flagyl doesn't make you too nauseous, otherwise how will you know if it's working. I haven't been able to access the site at all yesterday and not much today either. I purged so much yesterday the neighbors (trash day today) are probably thinking I'm moving or I've died!
 
@KarriB , I have been having terrible trouble logging on also. That is funny about the purging! Our elderly neighbor, whom we keep an eye out for after her husband died, called almost in tears after I did a major clean out. She was worried we were going to move and leave her alone.

So far, so good. The nausea has not been a big issue. The Flagyl has a terrible taste and swallowing it without it touching your tongue or throat is an intersecting exercise. I have been taking a mouthful of food, chewing thoroughly, putting the pill in the middle of that and swallowing. Following that with a glass of water.

How long does the knee continue to swell when you are on it? We were taking down the Christmas decorations and it just becomes too painful. Icing after helps.
 
Janis, my knee still swelled at 8 months, if i did too much for it.

I haven't been able to get on BoneSmart for 2 days and even now access is often difficult.
 
@Celle, that is not welcome news. Do you just go ahead and do what you want and then ice and elevate, or do you curtail your activities?
 
I also had problems getting on the forum. I guess it partied too much and was hung over! Lol

How long do you have to take the flagyl for? I hope it's a short course and you don't have to put up with it for too long.
 
Janis, I cut back my activity a bit, but at that stage the swelling usually went down overnight, so I would try again another day. Gradually, my knee let me do more and more without complaining.
 
My knee swelled into January and February, 3-4 months out. I was just careful to not do too much and if I spent time up, I spent double the time elevating.
 
I would get swelling in my knee up to a year post surgery. My job entails a lot of walking and standing all day. I was surprised how long it took to build up that stamina. And now I'll have to start all over again. Ugh
 
I have had trouble with logging into the site for 3 days now?? I have started to have a clear out after taking down the decorations, it's been 8 weeks where I have let the clutter collect around me & I can't stand it anymore......maybe we all get to that stage when we are in this recovery?
 
A blessed Sunday to all. Thank you for sharing your experiences about swelling. I guess I have a lot more to look forward to...:bored: As some have said: there's no turning back now!

@suemegane, maybe we all want to declutter because we have been sitting around the house for so long recovering, we have gotten sick of it! :rotfl: My husband is fearful of my cleaning out!

It is a beautiful sunny day here. That should lift my spirits, although I am having a down day. EVERYTHING makes me cry (I am so thankful for an understanding husband) and it has now been three weeks of symptoms. We decided to use that term as a polite way to say I still have diarrhea. :heehee: The antibiotic is giving me a zooming headache at night. Oh well, such is life.

Ralph is a little on the grumpy side. He is stiff and I still have the spot beside the kneecap that hurts. Unlike other's PT, my PT seems focused on strengthening the quads and hitting the numbers - at the expense of my knee. I have been refusing to do some things and of course have missed several sessions due to my illness. At what point do you stop PT? My insurance pays for 25 sessions and I don't have to worry about my deductible since my insurance year resets on October 1. I just wonder what I could achieve on my own.

It is great to be back on the site. I hope everyone has a blessed day.
 
Happy Sunday! Ralph is jealous of someone else getting all of your attention! Lol! He's going to swell and be grumpy for a while yet. Just elevate, ice and take whatever pain med you can tolerate. It is what it is. Period.

I dropped out of PT after my 3 mon OS appt. Honestly, Ive done little or no fromal exercises, but a LOT of stairs, staying busy cooking and taking care of Grands, etc......
I do NOT regret being a PT Dropout.

I should get my daughter to embroidery us some cute shirts with "It is what it is. Period." on them! :roseshwr:
Hang in there.. The emotions will eventually even out, too. Don't you sometimes feel like you're reliving pregnancy??? And this darn knee is much like a newborn - requiring constant attention to the point that you are exhausted! Thankfully, mine is a preschooler now and able to do more on his own, takes less of my thought process and can get through the day without a nap! :rofsign:
Hugs!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am a really bad influence. I quit PT after they finished my home visits. I had very good flexion and extension and after reading about minimal to no PT in the UK I decided to give it a try.
I have done very well. 10 weeks post op this Wednesday and we were out for 4 hours last night and I even did grocery shopping at Walmart on my own two feet!
No power scooter and I was thrilled.
Of course that evening I had some swelling, not much, and by morning it was back to normal.
I would incorporate exercise throughout my day. If brushing teeth I would do heel raises, in the kitchen I would shift weight back and forth, heel slides, semi-squats etc. Always bending knee for flexion when sitting watching TV. You get the idea.
I am such a rebel :loll:
 
@Thesoutherncook, Helen, "It is what it is" was my mother's favorite saying as her health deteriorated or when something happened she couldn't do anything about! Her other saying (and the one I threatened to put on her tombstone) was "we'll see". She said that whenever I asked her to do something she didn't want to do. :rotfl: I loved my Momma and miss her. Thank you for the memory!! All those stairs were great for your quads and the grands....well all that running around!! You did plenty of PT - it is called living life!

@Glamg1979, you are such a wild woman! :happydance: Sounds like you did plenty of PT at home. Good job at Wally World! That is a BIG accomplishment. I look forward to just piddling around a store and not heading in and out in as short a period of time as I can. Oh....to be able to plunder Hobby Lobby!
 
@Glamg1979
That sounds like a very sensible approach to me, and not at all rebellious or a bad influence.

The fact that you're doing well supports your actions.

I didn't do any formal PT at all and my knees recovered just fine.
 
Hi. Just wanted to give you a viral hug and high five. This journey we are on is certainly a challenge. I tested neg for c diff. I was terrified as I have worked n health care most of my life and know how ugly it can be. It is very contagious and most folks either become infected while in a hospital or nursing hoe, or develop it from over use of antibiotics. I really thought I had it as my diarrhea lasted so long. Now that I take flora stor twice a day it seems to be under control.

My tkr as in sept and I still have swelling and some pain, but over all I would say things are much better than even a few weeks ago.

One of the best coping mechanisms was ringing bone smart. It's so comforting to know that others have many of the same issues

My husband has lung cancer and I pray for him daily, I also pray for those on here that are in pain and struggling. We all need God to help us through life's challenges.

I pray that 2016 will be a better year for all f us


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Blueslady, your husband is covered in prayer. I am sorry he is facing this. Prayer is a great uniter. Having diarrhea for an extended period of time really saps your strength. I am glad you did not have C-Diff and are feeling better. You are right, it is comforting, no matter how sad or tragic, to read that others have or have had the same issues you are facing. I pray for your New Year to be a year of healing and grace.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom