TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
If pt gives you hard time about refusing strength exercises I don't think it would hurt to try a few weeks of pt on your own, especially if you have a bike at home. Strength exercises should wait until you're at least 3 or 4 months out and will cause a lot of pain and swelling.
 
Thank you. Prayers are appreciated. We all could use some better days in the new year. Having said that, I give hanks every day that my husband is still here even though he has many problems, I give thanks for my sons and their families, for my friends and yes I give thanks for bone smart. Lol


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Janis I too could not get on the site. I was starting to get withdrawal symptoms :heehee: it is good to see that you are still smiling through your trials. It's just good to get back on the site and see how everyone is doing. I hope you have a great week and hope that Ralph doesn't get to cranky because he is not in the lime light. I pray you on the mend and the poop fairy leaves you alone. I know how you feel about taking antibiotics and I think my cellulitis is gone otherwise it was going to be another 10 days of antibiotics so I am watching it closely but seems to be disappearing yay. Started taking my probiotics and eating yogurt everyday.
Take care now we are in for a wet week in San Diego.
 
Madeleine, @macduf387, that is great news about the cellulitis! Even better news about the scoped knee. Stay dry and get some rest this week. PT will work you the next week I am sure!
 
I think as far as PT you have to do what is best for YOU. I think sometimes PT gets a bad rap. I like my therapist, I enjoy going to PT and I'm still going and I don't feel guilty about it. I know what my work load and my home life demands are. Going back to my job is challenging physically on my legs. PT helps to give me flexibility, strength and stamina. It also helps in my home life. The every day things of cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping etc. are all up to me. I'm by myself so if I don't do it, it doesn't get done. If PT gives me that edge I'm going to take it. Everyone has their own journey in this long recovery and each of us has to do what's best for our own recovery. You'll know what's right.
 
I think it's the bad therapists that get a bad rap - and unfortunately there seem to be so many of them - not PT in general. Many therapists seem to believe that the approach to sports therapy is appropriate for recovery from a TKR, but it isn't.

A good therapist is like gold and if you have one, hold on to him/her.
 
Thank you @midwest girl. It is a hard decision for sure. My knee hurts and I feel that every time I go to PT, it makes it worse. Then I wonder, maybe I am not being tough enough.

@Celle, that is the problem. I get to PT (it is a corner of a gym) and there are 2 tables with two people on them. I wait in a chair with no arms, then the PT Assistant comes and we go to the machines or use the step in the gym. He keeps wanting to increase the weight and I say no. I felt like I ripped something in my knee 2 weeks ago and it has hurt ever since. After 20 minutes, I sit back in the chair, they put an ice pack on my knee (I have to help hold it sometimes) and I ice for 10 minutes, then I take it off myself usually as the Assistant has moved on to someone else or is no where to be seen. I don't get the massages everyone talks about, no education, no cycling, nothing other than the machines, step, or standing on the operated leg for balance. The only time I have hands on is when they have to send the measurements to the doctor, then I am pushed until I say stop. So, is this a good PT? Should I continue? I just don't know.
 
It sounds like poor PT in my opinion. I'm not sure what options you have in your area but do you have any other PT facilities that you can switch to? My PT facility has about 15 + tables and the last time I was there we had to look for an open one. You'll know you found the right facility and therapist if you look forward to going. It may take a couple visits to figure it out though. I know it did for me.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk
 
Do you have another PT group in the area you can go to? I was unhappy with the first one I went to and loved the second. It was a little further away, but worth the drive.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like poor PT. Even though this one is part of your surgeons practice, I would find another facility. Remember, you're the one paying for the sessions and they can't force you to go to the facility of their choice. Just tell your surgeon it wasn't a good fit. And if he asks why, tell him what they do in an average session.
 
Wow Janis that is definitely bad pt where I go I have one on one with the physical therapist he massages and does a whole lot of rubbing and stretching before I even go near any equipment. Last week he let me warm up on the recumbent bike as he was busy with someone and because I was getting full rotation on the bike. Icing and elective stimulation is always at the end once he has worked my leg. It sounds like you really need to find someone new. You just have to ask for a prescription and you should be able to go anywhere that your insurance allows. I wouldn't blame you not to go back. I am with @midwes girl and @Celle pt is for your good I actually enjoy going and feel good when I leave. I hope you find someone new.
 
My second pt group, which is part of my OS practice sounds a lot like @macduf387 . Warm up on the bike, then heel slides, stretches, walking, walking over miniature hurdles which helped me to lift my leg up more than I normally did, then ending with a massage, stim and ice. At 4 months we started some strength exercises and they had cool machines that were like computer games that I think had me doing squats without knowing it!

How's the nausea?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's bad PT, Janis. It's not doing you any good. Honestly, you'd be better off not going at all than going to that place. It's better to have no PT than bad PT.

I think I've told you before, but I didn't go to PT and didn't do any formal exercises at all. I concentrated on rest, ice and elevation, a few gentle heel slides, and walking around the house at first. I gradually increased the amount of walking. I have full extension and a ROM of 125+ - all without any pain.
 
I vote with Celle! Get the heck out of that poor excuse for therapy! Even in our small community, my guys are head and shoulders above yours! I stopped in today to discuss insurance with the office mgr and both therapists stopped what they were doing to hug me and ask about "Buddy". My other option was in the gym and I had observed similar setup to yours. I refused to go there! No PT beats BAD PT!!
 
@KarriB, thanks for asking. The diarrhea is the problem. As a precaution, my GP has put me on Flagyl 500mg for 10 days. Well....guess what? It was not helping any and I started having terrible headaches - like someone putting nails allover your head, nausea and hip pain. It also was not helping the diarrhea. :bawl: She agreed I should stop the antibiotic and try to get better, following up with the gastro on the 26th.

Thanks everyone for your experiences and advice about the PT. That old "I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings" is rearing its head. Did I mention my cousin's son works with the PT group also??:umm:
 
his PT group is part of my OS's practice - so, it would be hard to leave it.
Janis, it's your knee the bad PT is hurting. You're in charge. Only you can say what will happen to it.

Don't worry about hurting feelings or upsetting your OS. If your surgeon moans about it, tell him exactly what was happening and say that's why you left. Write it down before you see your surgeon, so that you can just hand it to him, if you don't want to speak about it.

There's no reason why you should suffer for their bad treatment of your knee. It's your job to speak up for your knee, and protect it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom