Guest viewing is limited

TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks all. @KarriB , it is extremely tender to the touch. There is not indentation. This is much better than when the reaction and side effects started with the Xarelto. The back of the leg is the same as the side. At least I no longer have the backache, neck pain, and headache, along with the itching since I stopped the Xarelto and started on two aspirin a day. I can't get the swelling out of the leg and the calf is still firm. Xarelto is a wonderful drug for some - but not for me. :no-fin:
 
I'd feel better if Josephine looked at it and could advise. When my dad had his last TKR done he had a lot of bruising, but he never elevated. While at pt a few weeks in the pt noticed a hot spot on his calf near the ankle that was very discolored, so off they went to the ER to get a Doppler. Turns out the blood from the bruising was pooling in that area because his leg was hanging down so much. So it could just be where the blood is pooling, but Josephine may have seen something like this before.
 
I didn't see the Celle had commented and tagged Josephine. It can't hurt.
 
I had similar streaks and patches after a blood thinner that was too strong for me resulted in excessive bruising. I was done with blood thinners after 14 days (my OS' protocol). My bruises faded in an irregular, patchy manner over the next two weeks, and my skin remained sensitive for about the same amount of time, especially behind my knee where the bruising was worst. Your bruises will fade more rapidly when you're allowed to stop the double aspirin regimen- about one more week, right?
 
@Clipless, I haven't been given a time frame. I see the OS on the 9th. Did your calf get firm? So, when the bruises faded, the sensitivity was gone also? That would be nice! Did you have excessive swelling also? Which thinner were you on?
 
I only had bruising on the back of my knee but my calf stayed swollen until the bruising went down. I started icing all the way around my knee front and back almost constantly and kept it elevated. I also have iced my calf and thigh at times too.
 
I'm sorry you have had all these issues.:console2: My OS usually just has people take aspirin for blood thinning but since I had an ulcer I couldn't take any and so got a blood thinner. luckily I did ok on it.
 
Yes I had lots of swelling, and bruising from my upper thigh to the sole of my foot. I don't particularly recall my calf being firm, but it seemed like blood just under the surface of my skin. I was on the lowest dose Eliquis. I stayed with it but after the brusing developed I held two doses, then susequently broke the pills in half and took them only every other day until it was time to stop (14 days). When my daughter saw the bruises blossoming, she was terrified and I was none-too-happy. I realized fairly quickly that I was "over-thinned", and only wished I had not taken that morning's dose. There is no antidote for Eliquis, but luckily it's half-life is relatively short. When I was done that was it, no aspirin. Keep doing your ankle pumps- I read a study recently that reiterated how very effective they are at improving circulation, reducing swelling, and minimizing the risk of blood clots!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My calf was hard as a rock. Did not jiggle at all when I tried to move it with my hand. Almost 6 weeks now and it is better but not back to normal.

I still have numbing along the outside of my knee down into my lower leg. I have a very tight numb area that goes across the bottom/top of my shin. Very tight. I describe my knee like having a very tight ace bandage around it. That tight numb area is holding me back from bending more.
 
How interesting all the different protocols and results. Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

@Clipless, Xarelto had no antidote either, although my granddaughter (who is in Pharmacy school) told me they had just approved one when she was home for Thanksgiving. The first person to alert me that something was wrong was my home PT. She was very worried about the leg -especially the firmness and swelling. When I kept developing side effects that were listed on the paper that comes with your prescription, I really got concerned. I am so glad you were able to overcome your blood thinner. I would just like to see some progress! I feel if the swelling would just go down, it would help the firmness and I could get on with healing.
 
@webbie, what do you attribute your calf firmness to? It is a painful thing! Mine doesn't jiggle either. Strangest thing ever.
 
My calf firmness was and continues to be at times a combination of swelling and some muscle cramping. When your therapist comes again maybe she can give you some idea when she looks at your leg. I was told by a therapist that my gait was wrong and I was also instructed how to stretch my calf muscles gently. I hope you are feeling much better soon and your bruising starts to fade into a distant memory!!
 
Thank you Marian. The OS and PA both think my gait is great. I have no limp - just a swollen, bruised, and painful leg.

My daughter came over this afternoon and helped put Christmas up outside. DH brought me a lawn chair out so I could participate in a small way. It was a beautiful 70 degrees - the cold and rain come tomorrow! Very nice to be outside! It is amazing how time just moves on.
 
Just looking at my decorations lets me feel like life is coming back to normal. It must have been very nice to be outside in such wonderful weather. Just think next year at this time you'll be right there helping with all the decorations and forgetting that we even had a knee replacement!! 2016 will be a great year!
 
Wow, no limp? That's fantastic this early! I limped for a long time after my first TKR, and it's going to take me a while to lose it this time.
 
No limp, but I am still using the cane for confidence. :old:I am just so afraid of falling! I hope I can overcome that. If we are at the doctor's or some palce with people around, I am terrified someone is going to bump into me or hit my leg. I am sure part of that is because it is so darn tender.
 
Oh wow that is some bruising no wonder you are in pain those pt people better be gentle with you :oyvey:
it looks really painful, you really need to take it easy and continue to ice.
Good job on the shower i did that yesterday it was very liberating. :ok:
I am sure Ralph is going to behave you just need to tell him how great it will be when you can do everything you want to again without pain. YES !!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom