TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. Ralph had a very restless night. I slipped last night reaching over to get a glass off my side table, and think I must have pulled something on the inside of my knee. Very sore. Looks like lots of ice today!

The bruising is turning red in places. Since the scare with the redness and Xarelto, when I see redness, it bothers me. What was the natural progression of healing color of your bruises? I know they will turn lots of colors, but I was warned to watch for redness. I am thinking just normal this time? The streak is not as pronounced today.

Wishing everyone a beautiful day!:flwrysmile:
 
Timetolive, sorry things have been rough, I will be 4 weeks tomorrow , this knee has been so different then the left one I had done in August!
First it was a small blood clot, then it was gout in my big toe of the surgery knee, then the muscle spasms ,trying to find a pain medicine that worked, then the poor me syndrome .. I only yesterday felt like I was part human.
We have no choice but to hang on and look at the days forward! Stay strong !


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm so sorry you had a rough night. Please try and take it easy today and rest your knee and lots of ice. Hopefully you didn't pull anything too badly.
 
Hopefully elevating, resting and icing will help Ralph settle down. Praying the bruising and swelling goes down quickly.
 
Oh boy that's not good I think we have to wrap Ralph in some cotton balls and let him be for a few days rest ice elevate is the order of the day.
Hang in there one day at a time right....
Feel better soon my dear so sorry you are having such a hard time. :chinstroke:
 
Thank you @french, you have really been through a lot! I am so sorry. Hopefully, each day you will add a little more human to the equation and be on the road to our "new normal" and a great life with healthy knees!

Thank you Jojo, Karri, and Macduf! You are all so kind to me. Icing as we chat. @macduf387, I think Ralph and I need one of those big bubbles they have to roll around in now! :heehee: You all are so right - each day we make it through this recovery, is one we don't have to live through again! Each day HAS to be better than the last - even if only in our minds and hearts.
 
Can you post a photo showing the redness? Remember that you're still taking a blood thinner (aspirin!), which may delay the clearing of the bruises. Mine faded in a patchy way with color changes including green and yellow (!). Clearing seemed to start in the center at first, and progressed faster than I expected. I wouldn't characterize any "redness" as bright red, but more pink-ish and well under the skin. The last to fade was a small pink spot near my patella. I don't know why, but that was the only one that actually worried me. It is finally gone.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If any redness seems to involve the skin upper layers, is hot, itchy, painful, spreading, and if you also have chills and/or feel unwell, please see your doctor.
 
I am a little shy about tagging Josephine, she is so busy!
Please don't ever feel shy about tagging me - that's what I'm here for. I've been off-line a few days lately because I've had a nasty cold and managed to lose my voice completely! But getting better now and I would be very upset if anybody felt timid about tagging me.

As regards your bruising, a) it's nothing to do with anti-coagulants and b) it's perfectly normal bruising and may be another 3-5 weeks before it settles. You should look at our gallery of post-op bruises! Bruising after surgery. c) the firmness is only partly due to the bruising, if you didn't have that, your leg would still be swollen and tender. You're only 3 weeks out yet, very early.

Come to think of it, why do you darling people never think to check out the library for these issues? :scratch: It's all in there, y'know!

Many happy :chuckmarch: :heehee:
 
Thanks @Josephine , I do hope you are feeling better! Chicken soup is good for the soul and colds. We call the nastiest going around the "crud" here in my neck of the woods. Salt water gargles followed up by some straight up whiskey for rest. :heehee:

Would you believe I have read your articles? :yahoo:. My main concern was the streak I developed in the bruising. What do you attribute the firmness too? Swelling?

As always, thank you for your kindness and attention to your flock. (Thanks for the well wishes! :rotfl:)
 
Had PT today, ROM not changed much in a week, PT wasn't to alarmed. I am just frustrated. She says younger patients tend to take longer with ROM. How often do you do your home exercises on the days you don't go to PT. Also the days you do PT do you do your home exercises. Just feel like a tight "band" around my knee that prevents me from bending it.
 
The tight band feeling is normal and lasts for months. It does eventually go away. As far as doing the pt exercises at home - I don't do any. The only time I do it is at PT. on my first knee I would do some at home but I did mainly walks outside. With this knee I've done none. And I'm doing well. My OS is happy with my progress. I think by resting on the off pt days you are giving your a knee to rest. I can tell the difference between going into pt with a rested knee and going in with one that is extremely swollen because I was on it too much or had it down too much. In those days my leg feels like lead and its tired. You'll get there. Rest in the fact that your surgeon and your therapist are ok with the state or progress of your knee. They have seen hundreds of knees so would know if there is something to worry about. I know that if you force things (force it to bend) it just slows your progress. Force yourself to relax and take it easy. I know it's easier said than done, but it will give you the best results.
 
As far as ROM I only increase by one or two degrees each session and sometimes none. And I've already had a day with no change. And I guarantee you I will have days where I lost degrees in my ROM. This happened to me with the first knee and I would be so discouraged. But my PT reminded me - this is all normal. To give myself a break and quit being so hard on myself. Best advice I've received.
 
@doglife, I am sorry you are frustrated. I get it. I am now going to PT 2x a week. In fact, I just got home. On my days I don't have PT, I am continuing to do the exercises my home PT gave me - if I don't my knee has so much swelling in it, I can't move it. It is like it moves the fluid out?? - that probably makes no sense, but it feels better if I do something. I usually do them before getting out of bed in the morning (my mental exercise to face the day also!) and then again after lunch sometime. I am icing and elevating during the day also. I try to make a point of making a lap or so around the house each hour or so. I am getting terribly bored and this little "routine" makes me feel less worthless. :sad::sad: I am not usually a sedentary person, so this is driving me nuts!! Last week I was 90/13 and this week 95/8, so baby steps are good. Even baby steps will get us to our goal of healthy and happy knees. BTW, did it make you feel good to be called "young"???? :heehee:

I just got back from my second visit to PT. What a difference! I had a different therapist and he had a student. The therapist did a manual exam and said he could feel nothing as far as adhesions - anything sticking - everything nice and loose - :yes!: He also LISTENED and acknowledged the extreme bruising and swelling. He was very gentle and then we did some stretching and measuring. Afterwards, the student and I did some exercises. She will make a good assistant. Thanks to ALL of YOU - I set boundaries up front about the pushing and he respected them. Thank you all from the innards of my poor, bruised knee. :loveshwr:
 
Thanks for all your encouraging words, Yes young was nice. Baby steps, got ya. So Glad you had a good PT experience.
 
:yes!: Finally! A good day and reasonable PT! Hurraahhhh! :happydance:
You might try gently massaging your leg upwards toward the thigh, avoiding any stress around the incision. That seemed to help move the swelling up toward the lymph glands for me. However, you have to let Ralph be a baby for a while longer! Remember back to when we had our babies? We didn't accomplish much in a day and didn't stress about it either! :bored:
 
Glad pt went well and you didn't have to lay down the law! Good improvement in numbers also. I just told @Vangheluwec that when I couldn't take being in the house anymore (around week 8-9) whoever was taking me to my twice a week dr appt. would go out to lunch or breakfast with me on our way home. It was just enough to give me a break from being home so much, but I did always sit in a booth with my right leg up to avoid swelling. My BF would drive me to her house to watch a movie or watch them decorate their Christmas tree. I couldn't do much, but it helped to get out of the house. It was the middle of the Polar Vortex, so going anywhere was cold and icy!
 
@KarriB, that is a good idea. I am glad you have such a good support system - many don't. We are blessed for sure. My biggest problem is what I am wearing to PT - long stretchy, knit shorts. I would NEVER wear them in public normally. That leg's bruise is UGLY and the incision is so sensitive, I can't bear slacks yet. My PT is in a small gym, so it isn't so bad there. I did sit in the car while DH ran into Walgreens for a few things. We will go looking at Christmas decorations this weekend. There is a very large retirement community here that goes all out decorating with those large decorations and huge things all around the campus. It is nice - cookies and cocoa too! Our closest friends have been over twice to have dinner, so that was nice. Just getting bored not being able to clean house like it needs and do the Christmas decorating. I know - I am whining over such simple, silly little things. Thanks for indulging me.

O.K., for the ladies (or maybe some men :heehee:) : When did you feel safe enough to shave your legs? I am afraid of cutting myself with the blood thin, but :yikes::yikes: I have a forest growing! :bolt:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom